How far back can you go to make a complaint?

Options
Just over a year an a half ago I told another employee that there were two persons at my workplace that where clocking each other in and out.  He went and told the manager.  They were disciplined.  However the manager also told the two disciplined employees who had reported it to him etc.  Basically, he wanted to say to them that he had to discipline them because it had been reported by others.  Anyway, I am being given a rather difficult time at work by these two individuals and their friends.  It's actually making me feel ill and was sent to see a neurologist because I had certain symptoms which could have a neurological basis eg tingling in hands and feet, frequency, tinnitus.  The consultant said he believed it to be 'anxiety'.  I didn't think so and I belived it was medication I am taking for Rheumatoid Arthritis.  However, having come off that the symptoms are becoming worse and worse still at work.  It's a shame as I like my job.  Anyway, it's getting too much for me and I'm going to have to approach HR.  Can my manager still be disciplined for revealing who had informed him of the transgressions one and a half years later?

Comments

• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If he did, he may have said "It's come to my attention" and they've worked it out. I'd expect any manager to deny it unless your policies require the manager to show them the allegation against them.
  • DVT17
    DVT17 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He has admitted to me that he had revealed me.  And he knows why I did it.  It was because one of them had threatened me.  Anyway, everyone knows that he had revealed me because the two disciplined employees went round telling other staff members.
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not a good thing for a manager to do. However, what do want to achieve from trying to get him disciplined. If you are suffering at work as a result of reporting someone else do you really want to alienate your manager and make things worse.
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
  • DVT17
    Options
    swingaloo said:
    Not a good thing for a manager to do. However, what do want to achieve from trying to get him disciplined. If you are suffering at work as a result of reporting someone else do you really want to alienate your manager and make things worse.
    All of this is his fault.  He's allowed things to deteriorate to such and extent that I have nothing to lose.  I am being treated like a second class employee and it's all down to him.  Matters cannot continue like this.  Team working has totally broken down.  And it's really harming my healthl; both mentally and physically.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    "Anyway, the admin guy decided to leave and he made complaints about the manager, another admin person (admin person 2) and the two guys clocking themselves in and out.  He wanted me to corroborate.  The manager basically told me I was unwise to back up his story as I would have to continue working with these people after the admin person had long gone.  I decided to go along with that and said nothing 'incriminating' when inverviewed.  "

The inherent danger is that now you aren't going to be trusted within the organisation if you retract your previous recollection of events. Irrespective of what happens to others.  
  • DVT17
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    "Anyway, the admin guy decided to leave and he made complaints about the manager, another admin person (admin person 2) and the two guys clocking themselves in and out.  He wanted me to corroborate.  The manager basically told me I was unwise to back up his story as I would have to continue working with these people after the admin person had long gone.  I decided to go along with that and said nothing 'incriminating' when inverviewed.  "

The inherent danger is that now you aren't going to be trusted within the organisation if you retract your previous recollection of events. Irrespective of what happens to others.  
    My previous recollection of events didn't include what the manager had done.  He wasn't under investigation.
  • DVT17
    Options
    OK.....how about this?  When this manager is off, the office staff are manipulated (well they are friends) by the two guys that were disciplined and always give me and another employee tasks that they should be doing themselves.  I have kept a diary.  We even had a staff meeting and one of the office staff said to me "I can't stand your guts."  She's also said "You can say 'good morning' to me but I don't have to say it to you."  They went on our company Christmas do withought telling me and another employee about the arrangements.  The manager went too.  Due to my RA, I am assigned certain taks but she doesn't keep to that arrangement.  The manager said to me (by text) that he hadn't informed her as it was a private matter.  It all again points towards the manager being at fault.  On Thursday and Friday, the milk was taken from the communal regridgerator and kept in the office.  It's that petty by now and  it's really getting me down.  I am not sure how to stop it but everything points to the manger having lost control of the situation.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,769 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you considered jobhunting elsewhere?

Because if the current situation is causing you stress and anxiety, then having a manager who’s even more !!!!!! off with you because you’ve tried to get them disciplined certainly isn’t going to help. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,697 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 17 March at 9:31PM
    Options
    DVT17 said:
    swingaloo said:
    All of this is his fault.  He's allowed things to deteriorate to such and extent that I have nothing to lose.  I am being treated like a second class employee and it's all down to him.  Matters cannot continue like this.  Team working has totally broken down.  And it's really harming my healthl; both mentally and physically.
    Prioritise your own wellbeing over revenge - and the only way to do that is to look for another job. Unfair? Possibly, but this situation (and this thread!) isn't going anywhere that will help you in any way.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback