Temporary fence help.

Options
elsien
elsien Posts: 32,765 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
 Unfortunately, the house next door to me has been bought by an investor.
When they were doing the place up. I pointed out that one of the panels was out of the fence that they are responsible for but they did a bodge job instead of replacing the panel, which was what was needed.
First lot of high winds and the panel was out again and a second one has come out since.
Have asked the tenants to report it but that was several weeks ago, and no sign of any repairs being done as yet.
Alive
I’m looking for a cheap way of putting up some sort of temporary barrier to keep my dog in my garden while I try to get onto their  landlord again -  I know there’s no obligation for them to repair it but I’m hoping a bit of tenant and neighbour pressure will eventually do the trick.
It doesn’t need to be particularly sturdy because my dog is 13, knackered and lazy, but he is a nosey bull terrier (albeit a very friendly one) so is likely to amble across to say hello if there is nothing there at all  and people tend to take it amiss when they come face-to-face with him unexpectedly.

So something cheap, easy and hopefully temporary for a DIY numpty. 
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.

Comments

• Emmel
    Emmel Posts: 122 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it a shared fence? Can you not have the panels replaced yourself? Might be the easiest option
  • elsien
    Options
    Can’t really afford it at the moment. Plus I can’t help thinking that they are making large amounts of money out of the place, so the least they could do is keep it semi-maintained. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Are the fence posts still in situ and sound(ish)?
  • elsien
    Options
    They are, but they’re the concrete ones otherwise I’d have tried to get hold of some chicken wire or something and nailed that across.

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    There is a difference between having a responsibility for keeping the boundary line marked and having to maintain a fence.  It is generally not the neighbour's responsibility to prevent your dog from wandering, that is down to you.  The exception would be if there is anything in the property deeds to state that a particular height and/or type of boundary had to be maintained by the property owner.
  • elsien
    edited 16 March at 8:51PM
    Options
    Fully aware of that as referenced in my first post which is precisely why I'm trying to work out a cheap way of doing it in the hope (not expectation)  that the landlord will repair his fence properly. 

• SootySweep1
    SootySweep1 Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When we had a panel go in our fence we were able to block the hole with a large pallet. You can sometimes get them free via Facebook etc ?
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Chicken wire and some fence pins or stakes ?
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback