Economy 10 tariffs anyone???

Options
Reni2019
Reni2019 Posts: 2 Newbie
First Anniversary
edited 15 March at 10:57AM in Energy
Hello
My house is fairly new, built in 2019 and it has an economy 10 meter. I used to be with SSE and now put over to OVO who have put me on a standard tariff as they don't offer any economy 10/ I've phoned the people who come up on google, british gas, e on and EDF and they all say they don't have economy 10 tariffs. Does anyone know who provides them?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    For a new build to be on economy 10 is unusual.  It's considered to be a legacy tariff.   

Are you sure you need to be economy 10 and not say economy 7?    What devices/systems have you got that need economy 10?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    If you have a smart meter (and for a 2019 build I'd expect it to be smart), OVO offer "smart economy 9" as an alternative to the legacy E10 tariffs.
    Or, as dunstonh says, there's Economy 7 available from pretty much every supplier.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Edf still publish E10 rates in their quarterly price cards - as well as E2020 - a midweek plus all weekend variation.

Doesn't mean that will offer / tariffs open to new customers though.

It's very much a legacy deal at most suppliers.

I am on E10 at EOn Next - but not sure will survive the next meter upgrade - it didn't for one of their other customers posting here.

• PZ19
    PZ19 Posts: 471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Email Complexmeteringregistrations@edfenergy.com for EDF economy 10
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 March at 3:04PM
    Options
    I'm amazed that a 5 year old property was fitted with E10 metering. Only the legacy suppliers still support the legacy tariffs. Ovo do offer E10 (a relative of mine has it), but of course you can't have it with a smart meter.
    But are you sure that E10 is right for your situation? Yes, you get the extra 3 cheap rate hours, but do you actually benefit from that, and would you be better off on E7 or single rate?
    Try putting your day/night rate split kwh figures into any comp site and running the figures vs what you ae paying now.
    Don't expect the tier 1 call centre drones to know anything about complex metering tariffs.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    OP is not a big replier, we may never know.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Scot_39
    edited 21 March at 7:04PM
    Options
    macman said:
    I'm amazed that a 5 year old property was fitted with E10 metering. Only the legacy suppliers still support the legacy tariffs. Ovo do offer E10 (a relative of mine has it), but of course you can't have it with a smart meter.

You can have it with a smart meter.

I have. 

And my e10 has 3 off peak periods daily - more complex in that respect than other regions which have just 1 10 hr block.

Like most regions e7 only have one solid 7 hr - but a few have 2 off peak periods these days in reality - customers with  1 or 2 depending on original installer / energy co and install date.

Change the start and end timing parameters for rates and alcs - and e7 becomes e10.

Suppliers not supporting E10 and other complex metering (*) currently on smart devices a choice - isn't the same as technology unable to support it.

(*) Even some of the more complex legacy wiring setups - were supportable in past - 3 home circuit split systems like my old RTS twin meter, THTC etc were supportable using 7 port (yes SEVEN port) meters like Secure Liberty 114.

• countrycousin15
    Options

Have read the previous posts - now contacting  EDF using contact details from PZ19 - thanks. We’re an all electric household in an exposed location in the North of Scotland electricity region.  We switched to Octopus about 5 years ago and stayed on our Economy 10 tariff -  as others have commented less expensive electricity in three different periods. Economy 10 still makes sense for as now have solar panels and battery storage.

Three plus years ago Octopus put in a second generation smart meter but didn’t tell us this meant they’d move us  to Economy 7. Our % of off peak electricity fell from 43% to under 30%.

We say we’re still on Economy 10. Octopus won’t agree while offering  compensation for losses to date/not telling us about the change. Deadlock letter, considering whether to go to Ombudsman; Octopus say will withdraw  compensation offer if we do. 

They also claim their meters can’t cope with Economy 10 tariffs. Other companies meters will.

Is there anyone on Economy 10 with Octopus? What are the Octopus rates and which electricity region are they in?

• PZ19
    PZ19 Posts: 471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Have read the previous posts - now contacting  EDF using contact details from PZ19 - thanks. We’re an all electric household in an exposed location in the North of Scotland electricity region.  We switched to Octopus about 5 years ago and stayed on our Economy 10 tariff -  as others have commented less expensive electricity in three different periods. Economy 10 still makes sense for as now have solar panels and battery storage.

Three plus years ago Octopus put in a second generation smart meter but didn’t tell us this meant they’d move us  to Economy 7. Our % of off peak electricity fell from 43% to under 30%.

We say we’re still on Economy 10. Octopus won’t agree while offering  compensation for losses to date/not telling us about the change. Deadlock letter, considering whether to go to Ombudsman; Octopus say will withdraw  compensation offer if we do. 

They also claim their meters can’t cope with Economy 10 tariffs. Other companies meters will.

Is there anyone on Economy 10 with Octopus? What are the Octopus rates and which electricity region are they in?

Good luck with EDF, that team normally are very helpful, and quick to respond 
  • Scot_39
    edited 12 April at 2:54PM
    Options
    Have you read this thread

Its a strange one - some form of three rate meter - which the OP describes as being billed as now essentially split into E10 off peak and E7 day /night  - but the rates look like standard E7 for both night and the E10 off peak special.

OP in that thread main issue is re the 2 SC - not the unit rates though
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure