• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,720 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Nasqueron said:
    jon81uk said:
    Nasqueron said:
    Hoenir said:
    Our local town centre is dead quiet by 5.30 in the evenings. Makes sense to cut opening hours to meet local demand. 

On a broader level. Why not shut down on Sunday's more generally and make it a family day again. 
    On a broader level, why not adapt to the modern world and do MORE on Sundays instead of tying to outdated religious ideals when the biggest group in the UK is "no religion"? Banks should have more hours say 7:30-10:30 16:00-19:00 and more hours Sat/Sun when people are actually free and not working
    Well that was Metro Banks whole plan, open from 8am to 8pm and Sundays to offer something other banks don't, but seems it didn't work for them
    That's what I mean though, split the hours - you don't need to do branches 8-8, just do part time say 7-10, 4-7 or something like that then Saturday and Sunday say 10-6 or whatever
    How easy do you think it will be to find staff that want to do a 3 hour shift, then have to go away for 6 hours and then come back for another 3 hours?

There was uproar enough in the contact centre I was in at the time when Diana's funeral was happening and the business closed for 3 hours in the middle of the day and everyone was expected to work the two halves of their shift on either side of the shutdown. 
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,866 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

How easy do you think it will be to find staff that want to do a 3 hour shift, then have to go away for 6 hours and then come back for another 3 hours?

It doesn't have to be the same person - one person might want a morning shift, another might be happy with doing something in the early evening (e.g. when a partner comes home and takes over childcare duties).  More flexible working opportunties throws up all kinds of options.

On the main point of the thread, Metro opening on weekends was great for introducing children to banking - along with the saving incentives they offered and the fun of putting their coins into the counting machine.  Calling into the local Metro on a Sunday was easy as part of a retail/leisure outing.  Weekday/working hours opening only will limit children's branch banking to school holidays.  Of course they don't need to do branch banking, but it is a good way of introducing them to the concepts of banking/saving, especially those who need something more tangible than a website/app.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nasqueron said:
    jon81uk said:
    Nasqueron said:
    Hoenir said:
    Our local town centre is dead quiet by 5.30 in the evenings. Makes sense to cut opening hours to meet local demand. 

On a broader level. Why not shut down on Sunday's more generally and make it a family day again. 
    On a broader level, why not adapt to the modern world and do MORE on Sundays instead of tying to outdated religious ideals when the biggest group in the UK is "no religion"? Banks should have more hours say 7:30-10:30 16:00-19:00 and more hours Sat/Sun when people are actually free and not working
    Well that was Metro Banks whole plan, open from 8am to 8pm and Sundays to offer something other banks don't, but seems it didn't work for them
    That's what I mean though, split the hours - you don't need to do branches 8-8, just do part time say 7-10, 4-7 or something like that then Saturday and Sunday say 10-6 or whatever

There was uproar enough in the contact centre I was in at the time when Diana's funeral was happening and the business closed for 3 hours in the middle of the day and everyone was expected to work the two halves of their shift on either side of the shutdown. 
    Exactly as Section62 stated - different shifts, part time working etc 
  • NoMoneyNoWorries
    Options
    Nasqueron said:
    Hoenir said:

Leave Sundays alone - I think supermarkets and Banks should NOT open on Sundays at all (with exceptions)
    If you can't fit  your banking/shopping  needs into  24 hrs a day Mon-Fri and 0900 - 1230 on Sat -then you really need to get your faeces together!
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,654 Forumite
    Options
    boingy said:
    A branch that is only open 9:30 to 17:00 Monday to Friday is no use at all for the vast majority of working people. Better to close on one of the weekdays and open on Saturdays. And if you think you don't need a Metro branch you obviously haven't tried to open an ISA with them, because that's the only way you can open those accounts - an utterly insane business decision. No wonder they are struggling.
    Yet every bank that has tried this & some even opened up in Supermarkets or M/S in store have all closed due to lack of use.

Some are still open branches on Saturdays, but with limited services as there is no demand for others.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Rawrzy
    Rawrzy Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    While I think weekend service at a lot of banks feels inadequate for anyone working 9-5 jobs. I think there's also deeper problems with opening on a sunday than just the bank itself being open. Public transport is also cut down service on a sunday, infact nearby here it's so cut down it's once every 2 hours which would make me not want to bother, I dunno about anyone else. Obviously you can still go by car but at least with city centre locations (which is where most of the branches are now, really), often parking is an headache by design.
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,866 Forumite
    Options
    Rawrzy said:

....Obviously you can still go by car but at least with city centre locations (which is where most of the branches are now, really), often parking is an headache by design.
    ...or you can get all-day parking on Sunday for £1 (or so) because the car parks are so under-utilised.

Metro's strategy of going into city/town centre locations may be one of their biggest mistakes.  Following the retailers to out-of-town sites may have made more sense, even if not always accessible by public transport. (these days some out-of town centres may have better PT access than their town centre, because services are run to places people want to go)
  • Rawrzy
    Rawrzy Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Section62 said:
    Rawrzy said:

....Obviously you can still go by car but at least with city centre locations (which is where most of the branches are now, really), often parking is an headache by design.
    ...or you can get all-day parking on Sunday for £1 (or so) because the car parks are so under-utilised.

Yeah, no, that's not every city... Yes it's more under utilised but there isn't that many parking places in every city centre outside of the big ones like q-park or whatever which charge you a lot even on a Sunday.
  • jameseonline
    jameseonline Posts: 368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't know much about Metro tbh, bit of a song & dance when they came to Cardiff, could open an account straight away (in theory), longer opening hours, bring your dog in etc.

But more & more people do online/app banking these days.

Breaking up the day as suggested might be a good idea but too late now surely?

In terms of product to me they never have had anything worth getting or if they did it's never been around that long before getting pulled or beaten by a more well known company.

I liked the ideas initially described above but obviously it doesn't make sense in today's world 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback