Metro Bank is the experiment over?

Options
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68554199
Jobs going and branches shutting Sundays etc
Advocate in the County Court dealing with a variety of cases, attending the courts in the North East and North Yorkshire

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    They need to evolve as their customer behaviour changes... its been years since last needed to go into a branch and that was for a cheque which I could now do by app so more than happy for them to strip costs and 
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    They need to evolve as their customer behaviour changes... its been years since last needed to go into a branch and that was for a cheque which I could now do by app so more than happy for them to strip costs and 

I haven't been into a bank branch for 25 years, and I don't know anyone that ever uses one either. They'd be better off just going online only.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nasqueron said:
    Hoenir said:
    Our local town centre is dead quiet by 5.30 in the evenings. Makes sense to cut opening hours to meet local demand. 

On a broader level. Why not shut down on Sunday's more generally and make it a family day again. 
    On a broader level, why not adapt to the modern world and do MORE on Sundays instead of tying to outdated religious ideals when the biggest group in the UK is "no religion"? Banks should have more hours say 7:30-10:30 16:00-19:00 and more hours Sat/Sun when people are actually free and not working
    Well that was Metro Banks whole plan, open from 8am to 8pm and Sundays to offer something other banks don't, but seems it didn't work for them
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    boingy said:
    A branch that is only open 9:30 to 17:00 Monday to Friday is no use at all for the vast majority of working people. Better to close on one of the weekdays and open on Saturdays. And if you think you don't need a Metro branch you obviously haven't tried to open an ISA with them, because that's the only way you can open those accounts - an utterly insane business decision. No wonder they are struggling.
    I can see why this would be attractive but the bank staff would still need to work during the week anyway as they’d have things to process as it’s a working day. Metro are clearly looking for savings but switching a working day wouldn’t save as much as might initially seem. 
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Nasqueron said:
    Hoenir said:
    Our local town centre is dead quiet by 5.30 in the evenings. Makes sense to cut opening hours to meet local demand. 

On a broader level. Why not shut down on Sunday's more generally and make it a family day again. 
    On a broader level, why not adapt to the modern world and do MORE on Sundays instead of tying to outdated religious ideals when the biggest group in the UK is "no religion"? Banks should have more hours say 7:30-10:30 16:00-19:00 and more hours Sat/Sun when people are actually free and not working
    Ignoring the former point thats not for this board... on the second point presumably they have thought theoretically when people are actually free and hence their original hours but now have practical information about when people actually visit their branches and realised that whilst they originally assumed you were right in practice the branches are dead on Sundays. 

Your suggested hours seem to suggest most people are working 9-5 mon-fri... seems as an outdated idea as religion said things should close on Sunday. I cannot actually find any UK statistics on the matter but clearly there are whole industries with high levels of employment that dont follow this pattern like hospitality, healthcare, retail, contact centres etc. My working week used to be Tues-Sat, banks opening Saturdays was pointless for me but Monday opening was great on the rare occasion needed to go in.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jon81uk said:
    Nasqueron said:
    Hoenir said:

Well that was Metro Banks whole plan, open from 8am to 8pm and Sundays to offer something other banks don't, but seems it didn't work for them
    That's what I mean though, split the hours - you don't need to do branches 8-8, just do part time say 7-10, 4-7 or something like that then Saturday and Sunday say 10-6 or whatever
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback