Octopus Energy

Options
Gassed
Gassed Posts: 10 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 13 March at 5:38PM in Energy

How come Octopus Energy rate so highly for customer service. They advertise that they are one of the very few companies who provide an email address that you can contact them on directly but what’s the point. I’ve sent them 3 emails in the last two weeks and still await a reply or even an acknowledgement – I’ve tried contacting Greg Jackson the man in charge who is supposedly contactable at [Removed by Forum Team] but that’s been a waste of time as well.

I’ve only been with them a short time, having been a Shell customer who was transferred across and I never had any problem contacting them, although they strangely enough didn’t earn the plaudits that Octopus do i.e. a 98% rating from Trustpilot – although only 72% on Which. Have Trustpilot got shares in Octopus😁

I thought when I was moved over to Octopus everything in the garden would be even rosier but it looks as if now they’ve joined the big energy boys, through their rapid expansion, their customer service has gone out the window.

Comments

• Phones4Chris
    Phones4Chris Posts: 852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    You say you have sent 3 emails in the last two weeks. Which email address did you use?
  • Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,034 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Tried ringing them? 
    4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 
  • MultiFuelBurner
    MultiFuelBurner Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 13 March at 10:47AM
    Options
    I think it it's a fair reflection of where Octopus are right now for some customers.

Anyone that's been with Octopus know they are inconsistent with everything so some go through their Octopus life with no issues and others have the same issues they have with the "poor customer service suppliers)

For the OP I have found X is the best communication tool 
  • wrf12345
    wrf12345 Posts: 386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They are good on the phone but oddly ignore emails at the moment, I got used to chat on British Gas (even with a half hour wait to get started) which does not exist on Octopus (as far as I can see) and some things which should be on the account such as variable direct debit option need a phone call but at least it exists (british gas removed the option for new accounts). I got rather annoyed with BG as every couple of months they tried to increase the DD despite being in credit and had to chat to stop them, only switched to them as they were offering fixed with low s/c at the time.
  • tim_p
    tim_p Posts: 691 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I’ve had the opposite experience. Switched to them a few weeks ago and have had nothing but exemplary service, whether that be phone or email. Emails responded to in under an hour, phones answered by a human in under a minute. Reasons for contacting them were initially to sort an online switch that gave an ‘oops, somethings gone wrong’ message, so that was sorted. Next time was to place a smart meter order and request a Mini. All handled efficiently. SM being fitted this week, emails and texts confirmation all through. Yet to experience what happens if something goes wrong though but if keeping on top of meter readings / bills etc then why should it. Never had reason to contact CS of any provider in 40+ years of paying for utilities. 
  • cannugec5
    cannugec5 Posts: 447 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’ve wondered, when emailing any utility company, or indeed any business, whether the wording in the Subject box makes a difference. For example if one writes ‘Smart Meter’ or ‘Bill’ it is likely to be one of thousands. However if one were to write ‘my switch has gone wrong’ they are more likely to address it quicker. 
    Perhaps? 
  • MultiFuelBurner
    MultiFuelBurner Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    cannugec5 said:
    I’ve wondered, when emailing any utility company, or indeed any business, whether the wording in the Subject box makes a difference. For example if one writes ‘Smart Meter’ or ‘Bill’ it is likely to be one of thousands. However if one were to write ‘my switch has gone wrong’ they are more likely to address it quicker. 
    Perhaps? 
    Urgent, Complaint, unhappy

Perhaps these bypass the AI response bot

Need to speak to a person etc
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,001 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've always found that phoning them gets a quicker response. They will usually follow up the phone call with an email confirming what they have done or outlining what next steps will be.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Gassed
    Gassed Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

To elaborate in response to everyone who have kindly taken the time to comment,

I emailed hello@octopus.energy as that was where their original email came from that had prompted my replies to them.

I do not wish to ring them as I prefer a record of events.

Thanks, MultiFuelBurner I do not use X - or have any plans to sign up

An online chat would be great

Well done Tim_p . Just make sure you have posted your 5-star review on Trustpilot

My heading was the same as their original email I was replying to “Your energy statement”

Again many thanks to all and I will continue to persevere using email. I wonder what Martins thoughts would be on being ignored for a fortnight. Would he regard a no response to emails  as false advertising as they do make a big show of this feature in their advertising.

• Phones4Chris
    Phones4Chris Posts: 852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gassed said:

............. make sure you have posted your 5-star review on Trustpilot

You are having a laugh, trusting in Trustpilot, no thanks, not for me!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback