Phone info minefield - fingerprint sensors

Options
Hebrews12
Hebrews12 Posts: 115 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi there.  My old phones had either a fingerprint sensor on the side or the back but now modern phones seem to have them on the screen. The issue I have is that I don't like flip cases that protect your screen and all the screen protectors I've got for the one I have now that have a slightly thinner area over the sensor are really poor. I even tried one that head the hole cut out but that made typing very difficult.  I'm trying to find which modern phones have a sensor on either the side or the back but it's a minefield.  Can anyone recommend a decent phone that does please?

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Any reason to stick with fingerprint rather than face?

Appears you prefer Android but iPhones haven't had any fingerprint sensor since 2017
  • geordiejon
    geordiejon Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    samsung m23 5g has a side fingerprint reader, i have been using phone about a year works very well.
  • Hebrews12
    Hebrews12 Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Appears you prefer Android but iPhones haven't had any fingerprint sensor since 2017
    Just preference.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 March at 12:08AM
    Options

The most recent iPhone SE model released in 2022 still has a fingerprint sensor. 
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 March at 1:13PM
    Options
  • LeesArt
    LeesArt Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

I think both fingerprints and facial recognition actually present a security risk, for example if you get mugged the thief can easily use your face.

I use a long alpha numeric passcode and only use the fingerprint (with deviation) to open apps that allow me use touch ID (e.g. Signal) this provides an extra level of security that is sadly lacking, it would be good if Apple allowed TouchID to be set for all apps.

I do not use touch ID on my banking app because they replace the security of the app when what I want is for the fingerprint to be an additional level.

I feel that it is important to have at least one barrier being something only you know.

• Bradden
    Bradden Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Have you tried the glass screen protectors? I use one with my Pixel phone and the fingerprint scanner works fine.
  • jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 670 Forumite
    Options
    LeesArt said:

I think both fingerprints and facial recognition actually present a security risk, for example if you get mugged the thief can easily use your face.

This is nonsense. If someone steals your phone and runs away, how can they steal your face? 
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    Options
    LeesArt said:

I use a long alpha numeric passcode and only use the fingerprint (with deviation) to open apps that allow me use touch ID (e.g. Signal) this provides an extra level of security that is sadly lacking, it would be good if Apple allowed TouchID to be set for all apps.

I do not use touch ID on my banking app because they replace the security of the app when what I want is for the fingerprint to be an additional level.

I feel that it is important to have at least one barrier being something only you know.

That doesn't stand up to the facts. FaceID requires an eyes open  three dimensional scan of the face. A mugger could only do that if they forced you to cooperate which would also make fingerprints and passwords vulnerable. 

The risk of a fake positive from a fingerprint sensor is between 1 in 20,000 and 1 in 50,000 depending on the sensor. Compare that to less than 1 in 10,000 for a four digit PIN

You are correct to use a long alphanumeric password. Coupled with real FaceID and Stolen Device Protection turned on, that's about as secure as you can get. 
  • Murmansk
    Murmansk Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    My last two or three phones have had a sensor on the screen but I've had no problems whatsoever with a glass screen protector costing only about £3 on Ebay. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback