Money Moral Dilemma: Should I complain about a prize that's worth less than was advertised?

Options

Comments

• All_Ears
    All_Ears Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It could be argued that you are entering a contract with them when entering the competition. No doubt therefore you would have to comply with their Ts&Cs, which I presume you did. That being the case, they should also stick to their bargain and present you with the prize as described and not something less. I would be polite but firm in dealing with the prize draw organisers. Depending upon their reply, you could take it further possibly to the extent of publicising their 'mistake' if not corrected and in a timely manner.   
  • SStitanic
    SStitanic Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It depends how bothered you are 
  • Ed264
    Ed264 Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely question it. But if you get nowhere, then it's not really worth pursuing it further, and put it down to experience. Fortunately, you did win a significant prize.
  • pmknowles
    pmknowles Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    There's no dilemma. A competition is a contract (that's why it has terms and conditions). If the prize isn't worth what it was advertised as you can also complain to Advertising Standards Authority (asa.org.uk).
  • ceb266
    ceb266 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Prize draws like this are actually regulated by the Advertising Standards Authority and prizes must be as described or a reasonable equivalent. So first ask them politely and then if they are trying to get out of it, let them know you will escalate to the ASA. If you can find, try and get the original competition info and quote their t&C's to them
  • janE1956
    janE1956 Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have twice complained (politely) once about some porridge oats (think some had been left in the office!!) and the second some centre park vouchers were not the value i expected. Both times I got the full value sent. So always worth asking
  • TheRedHerring
    TheRedHerring Posts: 15 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It would seem that you have been deceived as you entered into an contract that the other party did not fulfil as advertised, whether it cost you money or not, it took time to enter.  Did you read the T&C's?  Unfortunately these are very often in small print and long winded, but I hope you have a copy for reference.  If there is no reason for you not having received the correct prize, complain asking for clarification why the prize is not that which was advertised.
    Many people do not like to complain, either because they do not like to make a fuss or believe it takes too much time,  But if people do not complain then companies etc., will think they can reduce their standards and things will only get worse affecting more people in a negative way.  Good Luck
  • primrose_penguin
    primrose_penguin Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with most of the others,  I would make a polite enquiry as to why they have not sent you the full prize that you won, it may be easily resolved. There may have been several similar prizes and they have sent you the wrong one. Good luck.
  • Jason9091
    Jason9091 Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Rather than a complaint, surely the first step is to contact them to check if they've made a mistake?
  • tain
    tain Posts: 711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The fact they didn't send an email saying 'really sorry, original prize isn't available' or something akin to that is a big red flag. 

There's no such thing as a free lunch, and the organisers benefitted from the competition in some way or another. They don't get to short change you because it didn't cost you money.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback