Money Moral Dilemma: Should I complain about a prize that's worth less than was advertised?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 341 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
edited 12 March at 2:39PM in Compers chat corner
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I was lucky enough to win a gas barbecue worth £400, along with some food to go with it, in an online competition. Yet I was sent a lesser model, worth £300, and only about half the food. Should I contact the website to complain, or should I be grateful for what I've got?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Comments

• Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Normally the T&Cs says if prize unavailable then a substitute of equal value will be chosen. You could ask why they did not supply the prize as advertised, but not sure how far you are going to get with a complaint.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Fiona_T
    Fiona_T Posts: 495 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don’t think you need to complain, just send them an email to say ‘have I got the correct prize’, ‘am I missing some of prize’.
  • PinkPig
    PinkPig Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morally I think it’s fine to complain when what you’ve been sent is worse than what was promised.  Even though it was free to you, that doesn’t make it a gift.
  • damsonsamba
    Options
    I would certainly query the prize. 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I was lucky enough to win a gas barbecue worth £400, along with some food to go with it, in an online competition. Yet I was sent a lesser model, worth £300, and only about half the food. Should I contact the website to complain, or should I be grateful for what I've got?
    I dont think its unreasonable to ask the question... I wouldn't focus on the value of the respective items but if you were offered 24 chickens and got 12 it's not an unreasonable question on why not the full 24. Similarly the different model numbers of BBQ

What I'd do after they answer really depends on a number of factors like if the competition was free or paid for, if the later how much, who is running it etc. I mean if our local tombola for the local orphan charity said the top prize was a fine bottle of whisky and they gave me a bottle of Jamesons then I'd probably accept it. If however I paid £100 with one of those car raffles and was supposed to get a brand new Aston Martin but they give me a Ford Puma instead then I'd be challenging it. 
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agree.  A polite email enquiry would be a good starting point.

Too many people don't do what they say they will do nowadays for whatever reason.
  • Julia1960
    Julia1960 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 March at 10:09PM
    Options
    My personal feeling is that, even if you didn’t pay to enter this competition (which I’m guessing you didn’t as you don’t mention this), the company should have honoured their side of the bargain. However, they clearly didn’t. If I were you I would definitely point out to them, politely but firmly, that this was not the prize they advertised and that you are not happy. I think they are being both unfair and also very cheeky. They shouldn’t be deceiving people in this way. After all, where do you draw the line? For example, if someone enters a competition to win a swimming pool they wouldn’t expect to receive a child’s paddling pool as a substitute!
  • amandaleeds
    amandaleeds Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would check the Ts and Cs to see if it states the exact prize or if an alternative of equivalent value (which this isn't would be provided). 
    Won so far in 2017: ipad mini :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure