PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Window cleaners - just why?

Options

Comments

• amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doc_N said:
    Nope. We might clean the downstairs ones every few years, but essentially the rain does the cleaning. No mess, no algae, and the glass is clean.

Most people assume that windows somehow become opaque if you don’t have a window cleaner. They don’t. 
    Not opaque, just visibly dirty - eventually making it a bit dimmer inside. And that’s based on experience, no assuming needed :)
  • mortgageFTB
    mortgageFTB Posts: 249 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 March at 10:12PM
    Options
    Doc_N said:
    Having not had one in the last few decades, I’m still genuinely puzzled as to why people spend a fortune on regular window cleaning.

I can assure you that our windows are every bit as clean as those of our neighbours, because the rain does all the work for free. Pay a window cleaner, and you’ll have sparkling clean windows for a few hours until it rains, and afterwards they’re exactly the same as mine.

In these straightened times, why do so many people see this as a priority?
    I live in a 3 story house. The top windows are above any ladder that I own and I don’t wish to buy a telescopic pole either. 

I spend money on a window cleaner, because I have better things to do with my time, than clean windows. 

Same reason as to why I employ a cleaner for 3-4 hours a week, I’d rather not spend Saturday mornings deep cleaning the house. Someone else can do that for me 👍.

One of those things, that when you earn a significant sum per annum, you don’t do everything yourself. Because it’s a waste of your time :).
  • florianatwobob
    florianatwobob Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 March at 11:10PM
    Options
    A) £10 for cleaning 11 windows every 6 weeks or so isn’t a fortune B ) I’m not going up a ladder to clean 6 of those 11 windows. C) Pollution comes down with the rain. Rain alone does not clean windows. Trust me it can make them dirty which you can see if they’ve been properly cleaned in the first place. 
    ✒️Declutter 2024 🏅🏅(DSis🏅)
    👗Fashion on the Ration coupons = 50/66 (5 coupons, 5 pairs of socks| 6 coupons, dungarees | 5 coupons, blouse)

✒️Declutter 2023 ⭐️ ⭐️🏅(and one for DSis 🏅)
    👗Fashion on the Ration 2023

✒️Declutter 2022 🏅 🏅 ⭐️   ⭐️
    👗Fashion on the Ration 2022

✒️Declutter 2021 ⭐️⭐️⭐️🏅
    👗Fashion On The Ration 2021 (late joining due to ‘war work’)
  • oystercatcher
    oystercatcher Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I never clean my windows. They are just fine, we can see through them! 
    It seems a waste of time and money to either clean them myself or get someone else to do them. I think it's a lot more than £10 these days as well!
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,256 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Window glass interestingly suffers from degradation over time. 
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,106 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Window cleaners are a thing because not being a mucky swine is also a thing. 
    In 1811, nearly a quarter of all the women in Britain were named Mary.
  • Baron_Dale
    Baron_Dale Posts: 1,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I agree totally with @Pollycat . It is called personal choice! Your question comes across as rather sanctimonious in my opinion. I have my windows cleaned once a month. Annually the exterior of the house gets what they call the ‘full Monty’😉😱! Guttering cleaned, conservatory exterior and roof cleaned and all the fascia. All for £250. I am also having the drive cleaned and re-sanded this year too! I will stop there as you have probably collapsed with shock and indignation lol! 
  • horsewithnoname
    horsewithnoname Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    otb666 said:
    i also wonder the same thing about professional oven cleaning and washing machine cleaning services I guess its for people who are time poor.
    I have my oven cleaned by a professional. Makes it look brand new because he uses chemicals and stuff that I certainly wouldn’t want to use, I’ve tried all manner of oven cleaners over the years and I’ve never got my oven properly clean myself. 
    Also I’m too old to be messing around with that sort of thing. I’d rather keep someone in a job and use my time doing things I enjoy. I’m fortunate that I can afford it. And a window cleaner too, because that’s another thing I prefer not to do myself. 
  • Baron_Dale
    Baron_Dale Posts: 1,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    otb666 said:
    i also wonder the same thing about professional oven cleaning and washing machine cleaning services I guess its for people who are time poor.
    I have my oven cleaned by a professional. Makes it look brand new because he uses chemicals and stuff that I certainly wouldn’t want to use, I’ve tried all manner of oven cleaners over the years and I’ve never got my oven properly clean myself. 
    Also I’m too old to be messing around with that sort of thing. I’d rather keep someone in a job and use my time doing things I enjoy. I’m fortunate that I can afford it. And a window cleaner too, because that’s another thing I prefer not to do myself. 
    Totally agree with your sentiments!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure