PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Window cleaners - just why?

Options
Having not had one in the last few decades, I’m still genuinely puzzled as to why people spend a fortune on regular window cleaning.

I can assure you that our windows are every bit as clean as those of our neighbours, because the rain does all the work for free. Pay a window cleaner, and you’ll have sparkling clean windows for a few hours until it rains, and afterwards they’re exactly the same as mine.

In these straightened times, why do so many people see this as a priority?

Comments

• Langerhan
    Langerhan Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I live in a tower block by a motorway. The windows aren't able to be opened wide enough to clean from the inside, so twice a year the building management hires window cleaners to remove all the grime that doesn't get moved by rain. It makes the building look better overall and helps kids breathe a bit easier.
    If you're asking about your neighbours in particular, no idea other than that they'd rather have the time and spend the money.
    Mortgage start date: 01/10/2021
    Original mortgage debt:
    £128,000
    Remaining debt (08/04/2024):
    £97,427
    Daily interest: £3.28
    Mortgage debt end of 2023: £101,528
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    pramsay13 said:
    I can assure you that your windows aren't clean. 
    I can assure you that they are as soon as it’s rained. There is no detectable difference between ours and any of our neighbours’.
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If that was the case car washes wouldn't be a thing either. 
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can’t reach half my windows, and they don’t often get wet when it rains because of the overhang. I don’t often get them cleaned - but they’re pretty visibly grubby, so if I cared more about being able to see clearly through them I’d get them cleaned more frequently 
  • Keithy13
    Keithy13 Posts: 62 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    For those who have hard to reach windows or live above the ground floor, a window cleaning robot could be the answer, if you pay a window cleaner then it dosen't take long to pay for itself. I have this one. 
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    pramsay13 said:
    If that was the case car washes wouldn't be a thing either. 
    Most people don’t tend to drive their windows through muddy roads though. Unlike cars, they just sit there, and the rain just washes them down. Maybe in heavily polluted areas they get a film on them, but outside those areas the windows are as clean with rain as they are with any other water.

• Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 818 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I live near the coast, rain does absolutely nothing to remove seagull droppings!

I do mine myself every four weeks - I quite enjoy the job, and have the time to. I can tell the difference between cleaned a few days ago and cleaned four weeks ago, rain or shine. Also gives me the opportunity to have a look at the general exterior of the house - I know I'm fortune to own one and I like to take care of it. 

I know Americans only clean their windows once or twice a year - when I was researching how often people do cleaning and maintenance jobs, this really surprised me! 
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,036 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I too live by the coast, no seagulls but the wind sweeps salty rain onto my windows so they are sometimes much worse with salt deposits.

You're offering a vast generalisation which just won't apply to everyone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback