Is Octopus getting slow ?

Options
MikeJXE
MikeJXE Posts: 3,101 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
I always give Octopus my meter readings on the first of the month.

Up to January 2024 a couple of days later I would get the bill online up to the last day of the month of January. 

I have noticed my January bill was dated  6th February and the bill was later than usual.

Now we are March 5th. My DD was deducted from my bank as usual on the 1st 

I don't have a bill yet, my DD doesn't show up yet my balance has gone down

Any ideas what gives ? 

Comments

• MultiFuelBurner
    MultiFuelBurner Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 5 March at 4:18PM
    Options
    They have grown too fast and this is growing pains.

Lots of little inconsistencies creeping in.

I forgive them though average 14p kWh for electricity in the past month and for those on gas 4p kWh.

I can forgive a lot for 55% off the price cap rate.

If I didn't have a smart meter though I might move to a smaller more Agile outfit.(Excuse the pun)
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

If I didn't have a smart meter though I might move to a smaller more Agile outfit.(Excuse the pun)
    Until they go bust and Octopus have to mop up their customers.  Again. ;D
  • Moneysavingchap
    Moneysavingchap Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Octopus have such a cult following. It's strange. I am a member of the group "Energy Support and Advice UK" and all anyone recommends is Octopus. They're just an energy supplier like anyone else. Yes that might have their positives and negatives like other suppliers but fundamentally they're a business with the same business pressures of customer service, IT like the rest of them.
  • Chop-D
    Chop-D Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    Yes they are being slow, very similar meter reading and bill dates for me too.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Octopus have such a cult following. It's strange. I am a member of the group "Energy Support and Advice UK" and all anyone recommends is Octopus. They're just an energy supplier like anyone else. Yes that might have their positives and negatives like other suppliers but fundamentally they're a business with the same business pressures of customer service, IT like the rest of them.
    Do you have any experience of being a customer of Octopus?

The thing is though, they aren't like every other energy supplier.  Yes things are a little bit wonky in places at the moment, but compared to the complete and utter incompetence of the likes of Scottish Power, EDF, Ebico etc, all of whom I've had a miserable experience with, they are a breath of fresh air. My usage figures were slow coming through last week, as were others, but that seems to be sorted now.

OP my account balance went down, it took a couple of days before the corresponding pdf bill was showing in my account, but it turned up.  DD's never appear in your account immediately on the day they are requested, just in case the DD is rejected by your bank.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Rolandtheroadie
    Rolandtheroadie Posts: 5,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Having to chase them for a bill every month. This month they eventually billed me, took the money off my balance, then gave me a refund for more than my bill was. 
  • YBR
    YBR Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes, Octopus are a little slow having expanded their business significantly recently, and they're not faultless, but I'm another who thinks they're way better than many others. I've not had any problem with prompt billing

Scottish Power and British Gas were dire in my experience. BG refused to bill me more than twice a year, IIRC.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Looking at Op Feb reading.
    Reading on1st thurs
    got bill on 6th. So that was 2 working days.
    End/Start of month will always be busy times for systems.
    DD showing up as a credit in online account has always taken a few days to show up.

Personally.
    Electric Smart meter read 03-03 bill received 04-03.
    Realised no gas bill inc so submitted a reading 04-03 bill received 05-03
    Life in the slow lane
  • Moneysavingchap
    Moneysavingchap Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Slinky said:
    Do you have any experience of being a customer of Octopus?

The thing is though, they aren't like every other energy supplier.  Yes things are a little bit wonky in places at the moment, but compared to the complete and utter incompetence of the likes of Scottish Power, EDF, Ebico etc, all of whom I've had a miserable experience with, they are a breath of fresh air. My usage figures were slow coming through last week, as were others, but that seems to be sorted now.

OP my account balance went down, it took a couple of days before the corresponding pdf bill was showing in my account, but it turned up.  DD's never appear in your account immediately on the day they are requested, just in case the DD is rejected by your bank.
    No I haven't, I've been with EDF previously without complaint, currently with Eon Next who have been very good, any issues I've had have been very promptly dealt with by their customer service in an efficient manner. The only issue I've had is with their app, it wasn't that great but has been updated now and is much better. 

I see what you mean about British Gas, currently got an issue where they think an account I registered to my address but it's incorrect as I've never had an account with them. Very frustrating!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback