Finance company didn't report a payout as full

Options
So, 9 years ago I took a motorbike out on finance with carfunance 247. The finance amount was £4,200 with a ridiculous %40 interest because I'd been out of the country since 18 and gad no credit history whatsoever.
Now, the motorbike was stolen 3 month in. The insurance actually paid out £1000 more than I paid for the bike (helmet, leathers, panniers etc), but they told me the full amount would go to the car finance company, including the money for my bits and bobs.
So, at this point, they had on a 
£4,200 loan amount they had had
£5,200 (and change)
Plus 4 payments of £172.
So. 3 months after lending me £4200, they had £6000 back.
All done were square. I forget about the bike until today when I check my credit file.

And they didn't report they'd had a lump sum. Month after month they ticked off the individual payments, as if I was still paying piecemeal. Until of course 4 years later the final 2 payments were missed and I've had missed payments on my credit file every month.

I've checked with the insurance and they confirmed they paid out just short of £6 grand in one go, 3 months after buying the bike.

Firstly, how the hell after paying off the loan amount in three months can I have over £2000,in interest. And secondly, why didn't acknowledge the payment and recalculate?

Can I get this written off?
Will it stay on file for ever?
I'm not bloody paying the outstanding £640
Can they do this?

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to complain to them formally then go from there
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 March at 5:11PM
    Options
    As above you need to contact the lender and complain.

At what point did you tell the lender the bike had been stolen and was a Total Loss? Did the lender know why they were sent the lump sum from the insurer?
  • whizbangwhallop
    Options
    They did inform.them. I have complained to advantage finance (who carfinance 247 were the broker for) and they have tried fobbing me off with false documents. I know this because I contacted them from a new email address. The one i used for the credit agreement was from a website which has been defunct for 7 years. Intact the email address and home address on the credit agreement have been falsified. On a 9 year old credit agreement is an email address that I've only had for 3 years, and the address is an address I've lived at for 18 months. How can these details be on a 9 year old credit agreement?
    I've complained and said I'll report them for fraud and they've stopped replying. The phone goes dead when I call. But the missed payments remain on my credit file. They've tried defrauding me, got caught, and won't deal with me, but have left this mark on my credit file.
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
     You should report them to action fraud. You also need to make a formal written complaint and wait for a reply before taking it further. 
  • whizbangwhallop
    Options
    marcia_ said:
     You should report them to action fraud. You also need to make a formal written complaint and wait for a reply before taking it further. 
    I have confronted them over this. Presented my evidence. Proved to them that they are using contact details on 2016 documentation which could not have been on that documentation at that time, because they didn't even exist, and I've informed them that a complaint is being made to action fraud, and now they would like to reach an mutually beneficial solution.

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    marcia_ said:
    I have confronted them over this. Presented my evidence. Proved to them that they are using contact details on 2016 documentation which could not have been on that documentation at that time, because they didn't even exist, and I've informed them that a complaint is being made to action fraud, and now they would like to reach an mutually beneficial solution.

Good news hope the arrangement is in your favour and this can be sorted 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure