Credit card scam with same IP address

Options
I fell for a scam on IG last week and foolishly gave my credit card details. They took £7.87 and a non sterling transaction fee of 22p. It was only when I saw this and the name for the transaction that I realised it was a scam. It was supposed to be £9.95 and a different name. I filled in an online form to get my money back. But in the meantime a transaction for £142 had been made on my card and thankfully declined. This wasn’t me. When I phoned the bank they said it had the same IP address as a previous transaction that was made by me. They told me to phone back during normal working hours to get it investigated but it looked like I’d made the transaction. 
Thankfully no money has been taken and my card is now blocked. Has anyone else had this happen? How is it possible for it to be the same IP address? Neither my phone nor my card have been stolen, only my card details. I’m glad the transaction didn’t go through otherwise I’d have a terrible time trying to convince the bank it wasn’t me. Is this a new thing scammers are doing now? Is there anything we can do to protect ourselves?

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I fell for a scam on IG last week and foolishly gave my credit card details. They took £7.87 and a non sterling transaction fee of 22p. It was only when I saw this and the name for the transaction that I realised it was a scam. It was supposed to be £9.95 and a different name. I filled in an online form to get my money back. But in the meantime a transaction for £142 had been made on my card and thankfully declined. This wasn’t me. When I phoned the bank they said it had the same IP address as a previous transaction that was made by me. They told me to phone back during normal working hours to get it investigated but it looked like I’d made the transaction. 
    Thankfully no money has been taken and my card is now blocked. Has anyone else had this happen? How is it possible for it to be the same IP address? Neither my phone nor my card have been stolen, only my card details. I’m glad the transaction didn’t go through otherwise I’d have a terrible time trying to convince the bank it wasn’t me. Is this a new thing scammers are doing now? Is there anything we can do to protect ourselves?
    I'm going to take a stab & guess at weight loss, some sort of supplement or such?

A oversea's transaction will never be in the amount quoted as the exchange rate is calculated on date of debit & retailer will never know this.

Sounds like the normal sales process & covered in T/C of these retailer.

Just who are they?
    Life in the slow lane
  • adamp87
    adamp87 Posts: 862 Forumite
    Options
    How would the bank have access to the IP address of the transaction? Had no idea they could see that or access it. Would have figured they’d have to go via an isp or the website payment provider itself to check that
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,679 Forumite
    Options
    adamp87 said:
    How would the bank have access to the IP address of the transaction? Had no idea they could see that or access it. Would have figured they’d have to go via an isp or the website payment provider itself to check that
    They have the IP details, they log this for every transaction. 
  • Scientist_DFW
    Scientist_DFW Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I'm going to take a stab & guess at weight loss, some sort of supplement or such?

A oversea's transaction will never be in the amount quoted as the exchange rate is calculated on date of debit & retailer will never know this.

Just who are they?
    It was actually supposed to be a set of Le Crueset kitchen pots with only the postage of £9.95 being paid. It was supposedly endorsed by Sophie Ellis-Bextor. As I ordered it I thought ‘that’s okay, she’s trustworthy’. Of course it had nothing to do with her. 
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options

Just who are they?
    It was actually supposed to be a set of Le Crueset kitchen pots with only the postage of £9.95 being paid. It was supposedly endorsed by Sophie Ellis-Bextor. As I ordered it I thought ‘that’s okay, she’s trustworthy’. Of course it had nothing to do with her. 
    That would have rung alarm bells for me right then and there.
  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 755 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Could your phone be compromised?  Did you install an app to make the purchase?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,469 Forumite
    edited 4 March at 1:53PM
    Options

Just who are they?
    I'm sorry & this is not meant in any derogatory way.

But come on a set of  Le Crueset kitchen pots for £9.95... 🤣
    I would lay the full cost of a set that SE-B has no idea on this at all. Just like all the ML ones..

Have you got a link to the purchase?

Your best hope here is that nothing turns up & you can claim back for non receipt.👍

Even in their clearance section a pastry brush is £7.70

https://www.lecreuset.co.uk/en_GB/c/offers/special-offers/clearance

Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family