Cancelled insurance

Options
I'm in the process of finding a new Home Insurance company. I've hit a problem  with the "has anyone had a policy cancelled etc?" I had a car policy cancelled a few years ago as I didn't get the proof of no claims to them in time as I was away on a long holiday. On my return I had 3 letters with the final one saying they had cancelled my policy which is extremely harsh as there doesn't appear to be any appeal to get it cleared. You could argue I didn't have a policy in the first place as I didn't meet their T&C's. I bet if I'd put a claim in it would have been refused. Any ideas on a way out of this as I'm really struggling to get a reasonable quote. Are there any insurers that that have a more reasonable stance, as it must be fairly common?

Comments

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Would it be worth speaking to an insurance broker and explaining the situation? They may be able to communicate with insurance companies in a way you can't when you are searching online.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The question relates to Home Insurance not Motor Vehicles.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Robin9 said:
    Question relates to having had insurance cover voided. Which occurs when there's a discovery of misrepresentation of material facts by the person insured.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    Robin9 said:
    Question relates to having had insurance cover voided. Which occurs when there's a discovery of misrepresentation of material facts by the person insured.
    Most insurers do have bounds as to what they think is relevant... I've had special terms applied to my business insurance because I work in insurance and an insurer didnt want to be both my insurer and client but no Home insurer has ever been interested in that. Similarly Car insurers dont tend to care that after a Life insurer received a GP report they decided they didnt want you on risk because of a medical condition. 

Home and Motor will normally be interested in each other's decision, though the OP's situation is more commonly recorded as failure to comply with a request than misrepresentation. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback