House For sale after death

MIL died in January and she had no will.  We are currently sorting out her home and will have it valued today.   We will then apply for probate.  Question is when can our should we put the house on the market?

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,661 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Nickyno said:
    MIL died in January and she had no will.  We are currently sorting out her home and will have it valued today.   We will then apply for probate.  Question is when can our should we put the house on the market?
    See https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices/content/101349 which sets out the legal position and gives helpful information about getting things ready to go.

Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'd suggest making an on-line application as those seem to be processed more quickly, based on the published stats.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If there is no will, probate is not required 

You need to apply for letters of administration.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You can put it on the market whenever you like, but you won't be able to complete the sale until you have probate/admin.

But you need to speak to your local estate agents - they will have their own policies about when they accept instructions from executors/administrators. 

When I sold my mother's house as her executor recently the EA I used wouldn't market it until I confirmed ( and provided evidence) that probate had been applied for.

• Nickyno
    Nickyno Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    RAS said:
    I'd suggest making an on-line application as those seem to be processed more quickly, based on the published stats.
    Applied online for late dad, but this time no will, and 3 descendents, couldn't find out how to do it online. Is it because there's no will?
  • thegreenone
    thegreenone Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    My Mum left a Will but I still waited until probate was granted before putting the flat on the market.
    Probate = how long is a piece of string.
  • SVaz
    SVaz Posts: 248 Forumite
    First Post
    Letters of administration seem to be taking up to 6 months at the moment.  I wouldn’t be marketing the house for at least 4 months after applying.
  • Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Nickyno said:
    The most recent application in our family for letters of administration (submitted just after Christmas) came back within five weeks. So we could have marketed the house pretty quickly.
  • Nickyno
    Nickyno Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    House was valued and we applied for "letters of administration" by post on 29/2/24.  HMRC signed for it on 1/3/24.  Austin is what can I use for "proof" that letters of administration have been applied for, so we can put the house on the market? Only got receipt from posting form and signature that it has been received?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Nickyno said:
    House was valued and we applied for "letters of administration" by post on 29/2/24.  HMRC signed for it on 1/3/24.  Austin is what can I use for "proof" that letters of administration have been applied for, so we can put the house on the market? Only got receipt from posting form and signature that it has been received?
    I presume you meant HMCTS rather than HMRC who deal with IHT applications not probate. Estate agents are going to require proof that you have the authority to sell the house and without a will naming you as executor that is going to be difficult. Most buyers won’t touch a probate property where probate / LoA have not been obtained so I don’t think it is actually putting it on the market until you have it. 

I would spend the intervening time getting the house in a marketable state, such as removing any old worn carpets, a new lick of paint ect.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback