The price of logs and smokeless

Options
If the price of energy is going down in April will the price of logs and smokeless likely to do the same?

Comments

• Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Probably. The price of all heating fuels tends to go down in the non-heating season.
  • Cheslea2010
    Cheslea2010 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    The price of logs is mainly linked to shipping prices. Most logs sold these days are kiln dried in Eastern Europe and shipped over here by container.
  • Gracieacey
    Gracieacey Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The price of logs is mainly linked to shipping prices. Most logs sold these days are kiln dried in Eastern Europe and shipped over here by container.
    You've disillusioned me now.......
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,387 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    Maybe this is true in urban areas, but in the countryside logs are often sourced locally, and if there's plenty of room for storage, the extra cost of kiln drying isn't worth it. I've seen no increase in the cost of my logs this winter, but neither do I expect the price to decrease, or find they fluctuate according to the time of year.

Forget robot dogs; why not send people to the Moon?
  • Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I get mine kiln-dried from Hereford. And very good they are, too.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My log supplier is my local tree surgeon.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Got a reputable source of statistics for this ?
    The overall market for firewood according to the Stove Industry Association (SIA) and Defra is thought to be in the region of 1.75m tonnes per annum and of this, it is thought approx. 200,000 tonnes are imported from Eastern Europe.
    So about 11½% of total UK consumption coming from Eastern Europe.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My local borough council wants to widen its smoke control restricted area to the whole of its jurisdiction. I live in a small village with a very large number of houses that have big non-defra wood burners. I haven't lit my stove since the Russian invasion due to the high cost of smokeless fuel now so I'm not really as affected as the many here that really rely on their stoves for heating.
  • Gracieacey
    Gracieacey Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I notice smokeless at Wickes has come down to £7.00 per 10 kg from £11.00 making it the same price as my coalman.......
  • mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I notice smokeless at Wickes has come down to £7.00 per 10 kg from £11.00 making it the same price as my coalman.......
    End of ‘the season’ as you might say. Wickes want the space taken by fuel so they can put gardening compost in its place! 🤣
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback