Octopus Energy - "We love email"

Options
norricorp
norricorp Posts: 36 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
I was moved from Shell to Octopus. I received a welcome email which included

5. You’ll get the best service if you contact us by email
We love email.

A few days later, I received another email telling me my energy usage for 6 days and then an email for 17/02 telling me my usage for that day and my rapidly declining credit balance. I say rapidly declining because that one day was 20% of my usual monthly bill.

I emailed Octopus to ask how this was possibe and received  .... nothing. Not an acknowledgement and not answer. It is now a week later and I have written to them again.

So does Octopus love email because it is so easy to ignore? Is this normal Octopus behaviour?

Regards
John

Comments

• SAC2334
    SAC2334 Posts: 768 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I used Email a week ago on Sunday and by Monday morning I got a reply and a very nice reply too . They re probably the only supplier in the UK who would actually do that .Every email I ve sent in my 15 months with Octopus has been quickly answered . 

• amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you checked you’ve used the right email? I’ve also had quick responses to emails - in fact the only issue I’ve had is when I got an email asking me to ring them, but when I rang the call centre staff didn’t know what we were supposed to be talking about!
  • MultiFuelBurner
    MultiFuelBurner Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    If email isn't working for you contact them via X and when they reply mention you are not getting the service via email that other customer receive.

See what they say
  • pbcpdeveloper
    Options
    I was also recently switched from Shell to Octopus and noticed several issues, which I emailed them about. Within a few days I noticed some of the points I had raised were being addressed.

I sent an update email saying I noticed what had been addressed and what was outstanding, but as I hadn't had a reply email I didn't know if the issues being fixed were because of my email or it was coincidence due to fixes being applied to everyone, as I knew someone else had the same issue. I said I'd appreciate a reply to the email to know if the matters are in hand.

Few day later more of the issues were addressed and I got a reply email.  Think they are just busy with the switch overs at the moment.
  • Jaybee_16
    Jaybee_16 Posts: 435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I emailed Octopus with a problem which could be simply resolved but was ignored. Waited about 10 days and then followed up with a very sarcastic email out of frustration at the lack of a response. Octopus responded with an apology and resolved the issue.
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,143 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Sent email reply to Octopus 2nd February - reply received 14th, sent follow up email 14th received reply yesterday 23rd.

• Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Different agents give very different answers. Using email is a slow method of conversing: each time an email is exchanged, there are delays in receiving the next answer. Agents appear to use a pull-down list of pre-formulated answers.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • MultiFuelBurner
    MultiFuelBurner Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Different agents give very different answers. Using email is a slow method of conversing: each time an email is exchanged, there are delays in receiving the next answer. Agents appear to use a pull-down list of pre-formulated answers.
    You mistake agent for AI bot or best guess responses robotics programming.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Sterlingtimes said: Using email is a slow method of conversing: each time an email is exchanged, there are delays in receiving the next answer.
    Sometimes, it is worth using email so that you have a record of what is said.
    On occasions, I have to deal with Virgin, but refuse to engage with them over the phone - Got caught out once when they reneged on an agreement made over the phone. They don't get a second chance. Same for EDF, they only ever get pithy responses when they chase after an alleged debt to Toto the Clowns.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you want a fast response from Octupus try twitter messaging. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure