PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Best duvets and bedding for overnight comfort

Options

Comments

• FrugalJen
    Options
    Sharing a bed with two duvets will depend on the size of the bed.  A double bed will be a lot harder than a king.  I found with double, that we've combined the double duvet on his size and a very light single duvet for me, I found that we were being crowded out the bed, would need to be two separate single duvets.  We had option of separate rooms, so that's worked better for us. 

When sharing, we tried a down duvet, for the same tog we found it warmer, it also wrapped around use tighter, less gaps meaning it felt warmer. One of the big complaints was I moved around when I got too hot, so I threw the covers off me, in my sleep, this disturbed his sleep too.  So a king size 4.5 tog down duvet helped here, I could through it off me, and it stayed wrapped around me. He was far happier, but I was still too hot - but at the moment, in winter, if we've visitors and I've to give up my room, I manage fine with this.   

M&S do a 1 tog duvet which I use. I didn't try a wool one. My temperature also changes during the night, so a 1 tog duvet with blanket works so I can remove it. 

I can't handle polyester in bedding, I need to use 100% cotton - I'd guess linen would be fine for me. 

At the moment, I find it hard for me to be at the right temperature, with no one else to contend with in the room.  That is I can feel cold going to bed, but wake up with the heat. Trying to balance that with someone else is hard, very hard. 
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you put a single duvet under the bottom sheet on his side you essentially create a sleeping bag so thats another thing to try. I've done it before in houses with no heating and it works a treat.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just reading this thread makes me want to crawl into a warm bed! The temperature has dropped again :(
    ... and I had a charming walk across the City under rain last night. Don't remember when I saw the Strand almost empty last time...  
    Reading about "heat bubbles" made me wonder if it might be a workable to give the OH a sleeping bag and use a double blanket on top that will cover both of us?
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Emily_Joy said:
    Just reading this thread makes me want to crawl into a warm bed! The temperature has dropped again :(
    ... and I had a charming walk across the City under rain last night. Don't remember when I saw the Strand almost empty last time...  
    Reading about "heat bubbles" made me wonder if it might be a workable to give the OH a sleeping bag and use a double blanket on top that will cover both of us?
    How washable is the sleeping bag? It wouldn't be as easy as a duvet cover.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,582 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Emmia said:
    Emily_Joy said:
    Ah, but you used to get sheet bag that went inside the sleeping bag (yes, long ago!)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,684 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I have to say I don't get the idea of a wool duvet in a cotton container being any better than another material. I fully get wool itself is good at wicking but cotton is terrible so it's like having a great hairdryer and then seeing how it works in the shower. 

Personally, linen bedding is a must but it's a real pain to find as "linen" has become the collective term for any bedding. We have one set, was crazy money but had a pile of vouchers, thats very heavy so gives you that snug feeling but is breathable as linen always is. 
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Emmia said:
    Emily_Joy said:
    Ah, but you used to get sheet bag that went inside the sleeping bag (yes, long ago!)
    I know, I've used one and it was b***dy horrible. But I'm not a fan of sleeping bags outside of a camping scenario.
  • beckstar1975
    beckstar1975 Posts: 494 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DH and I both run at completely different temps. We have tried all sorts including the 2 tog duvets (4.5 on one side 10.5 on the other) and the only way we can share bedding is with a baavet wool duvet. We have in 3 thicknesses (10 tog equivalent, 7 tog equivalent and 4 tog equivalent). We're currently using the middle one - which is odd as with no other duvet could I be comfy in 7 tog - it really does respond to your body heat.

I find if I get into a warm bed (use electric blanket) I can tolerate a lower tog duvet - I thought I was cold last night so put an alpaca blanket on and woke up dripping wet and boiling.

I also have started having warm spells/sweats overnight. I've found that conversely if I wear a long sleeved top I don't have to burrow under the covers and can sleep with my arms out and remain cooler. If I wear a vest I ended up wrapping myself up in the duvet and get too hot.

Other things are only 100% cotton or linen bedding, get too sweaty if any artificial fibres in there.
    :eek::eek::eek: LBM 11/05/2010 - WE DID IT - DMP of £62000 paid off in 7 years:jDFD April2017
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have to say I don't get the idea of a wool duvet in a cotton container being any better than another material. I fully get wool itself is good at wicking but cotton is terrible so it's like having a great hairdryer and then seeing how it works in the shower. 

Personally, linen bedding is a must but it's a real pain to find as "linen" has become the collective term for any bedding. We have one set, was crazy money but had a pile of vouchers, thats very heavy so gives you that snug feeling but is breathable as linen always is. 
    I don’t find that’s the case. My wool duvet is in a duvet protector because I found out I was allergic to it; the cotton protector helps with the breathing, but I still find the duvet helps regulate my temperature a lot more than my previous synthetic one did. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 2 March at 1:57AM
    Options
    Just a big thankyou to the posters who suggested 2 single duvets.

At home we have a super king size duvet and it works really well. It's a dunelm low tog, but doesnt lose its puffiness.

We often go away for self catering breaks where we take our own pillows, pillow cases, sheet and a Coverless duvet I bought specially for this purpose. I may be fussy but I prefer my own for sleeping.
    When we get home, they are washed and put back in their bag, ready for next use. 
    However the quilt was not as cosy as the one at home. It just wasnt wide enough.
    Picking up on the suggestion of 2 quilts, there was an offer on V3ry of single Coverless duvets, so they have been ordered. Replacing the double.

ETA the quilts have arrived. I unpacked them, lay on the sofa with a quilt on top to test them. The dog, thought it looked fun so came in from outside, excitedly jumped on me and now mine has muddy paw badges.  They are perfect and even husband is impressed
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback