PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Best duvets and bedding for overnight comfort

Options
Emily_Joy
Emily_Joy Posts: 1,245 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 23 February at 4:35PM in Old style MoneySaving
I am not sure this is the right part of the forum, but I genuinely could do with some sound advise.
My partner and I have very different needs for heating. He is always cold. To give an idea, during the weekend I was walking around in a t-shirt and a light cotton jacket. He was wearing long-sleeved shirt, a down jacket, a scarf, and a hat (we are in SE). At night, he seems to need two 12-tog duvets, one of which is goose down/goose feather and another one is synthetic. I am of course overheated and sweating to the extend that all bedding could do with spin & drain cycle in a washing machine and sometimes I need a shower at night because it is just to sticky. Unsurprisingly, this sort of arrangements mean that I seldom get a good night rest... 
So I am trying to figure out what, if anything, can be done to help? I was considering change all bedding to 100% linen (I think some of it can be polycotton at the moment). Swapping to wool/silk duvet? 
I am not really concerned about the cost, I just don't like changing bedding daily (sometimes during the night) and waking up at night because everything around is wet.

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,592 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think I would be tempted to have separate duvets
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    We have separate single duvets on a double bed of different tog levels, this is your solution.
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We sleep with a 4.5 tog all year around because I get too hot. My husband wears PJs  and has blankets on his side of bed. 
    Just seen these on Amazon, might order one myself, :D

Slumberdown Made For You Two  Dual 4.5 Tog Lightweight Cool Summer Plus 10.5 Tog All Seasons

Money SPENDING Expert

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,034 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Go single duvets each - it really is the best way to go.  This talks about Scandinavia but I spend a lot of time in Germany where separate duvets are standard, even in hotels!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,765 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wool duvet if you’re not allergic. Much better for temperature regulation.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • jennystarpepper
    Options
    Single electric blanket for his side? 
    MFW -  01 10 21. £63761 01.10.22 £50962 01.10.23 £39979

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Double duvet of a low tog with a 15 tog single on the top of it his side. More comfortable than two singles.

• Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Lorian said:
    Double duvet of a low tog with a 15 tog single on the top of it his side. More comfortable than two singles.

Got to disagree with this, since switching to two singles we sleep so much better - no tugging of the double, a double with a single stacked on top sounds terrible... Sorry
  • Edgeoftheburn
    Options
    Definitely go the scandi way, I am in Norway now and the 2 singles experience has made me reassess. So much easier to change and launder too!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lorian said:

If you must do that the single duvet needs to be underneath the double. The whole idea is to cocoon the body with trapped air which then warms up. Putting the  S duvet on top does not achieve that.

and back to the original question-   - silk duvets are amazing (and anti allergic)  but AFAIK you can not clean them at all- not laundered or dry cleaned
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback