We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Holiday Compensation

Options
RightsExplained
RightsExplained Posts: 4 Newbie
First Post
Hi,

We have been in correspondence with our holiday provider and they have agreed that the aspects of the holiday we have complained about can be compensated with a voucher to use with them by, first of all Feb 2025, and, after stating that this was not sufficient and that we would like cash back, they have replied with the following response:

"All components of the holiday have been fully utilised, and there are no additional expenses incurred. The voucher provided serves as a gesture in response to the concerns outlined in our communication.

Please note that we are not obligated to provide cash compensation."

I have read their T&Cs and it does not state that they only provide vouchers in compensation!

I feel that they have us tied to using them again and, of course, any holiday we book with them will be far more than the voucher value they have offered.

My question is, do I have to accept the vouchers or can I keep on insisting that I get a cash refund due to the fact that we paid for the holiday in cash (not vouchers!), well not cash but by card.

Any assistance in getting my money back would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi,

We have been in correspondence with our holiday provider and they have agreed that the aspects of the holiday we have complained about can be compensated with a voucher to use with them by, first of all Feb 2025, and, after stating that this was not sufficient and that we would like cash back, they have replied with the following response:

"All components of the holiday have been fully utilised, and there are no additional expenses incurred. The voucher provided serves as a gesture in response to the concerns outlined in our communication.

Please note that we are not obligated to provide cash compensation."

I have read their T&Cs and it does not state that they only provide vouchers in compensation!

I feel that they have us tied to using them again and, of course, any holiday we book with them will be far more than the voucher value they have offered.

My question is, do I have to accept the vouchers or can I keep on insisting that I get a cash refund due to the fact that we paid for the holiday in cash (not vouchers!), well not cash but by card.

Any assistance in getting my money back would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Need a lot more information to be able to usefully advise.  What happened?  Which company?  When?
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    They're saying you bought X and you got X, you have suffered no financial loss and as such have no right to compensation however as a gesture of goodwill (aka to shut you up) we are willing to offer you a voucher on these terms. 

You are presumably saying you bought X but got Y and hence are due some monies, youre willing to accept it as vouchers but only if they are longer dated. 

You really need to explain what X and Y are for anyone to opine on if you're being reasonable or not and if you are to suggest what the next steps could be. 
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If this is just an ex-gratia offer of payment from the travel company then they are correct.  If they only wish to offer a future travel credit or voucher then that is all they need to do. 
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As above, more detailed infromation required from the OP.
    The identity of the travel firm is a key starting point - some are notoriously reluctant to offer any meaningful form of compensation.
  • RightsExplained
    Options
    We were on an all-inclusive package, starting in Bali and it was not all-inclusive for 3 days/nights as we were offered limited eating venues and drinks. After complaining, it was noted we were due compensation for the 3 days/nights loss of the all-inclusive package, for which we have been offered a voucher. The last leg of our holiday was in the Maldives. The island was very nice, but the room was very tired, mould on the ceiling and bathroom door, toilet seat disgusting, walls dirty, we just couldn't believe that one of their representatives had thought this room fit for occupation.

The company is Imagine Cruising.

Do you still think we should accept the vouchers or keep trying to get a cash settlement?

Thank you
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    Which cruise line was deficient in providing the 3 days/nights AI - and why did that occur ?
    Imagine Cruising is 51% owned by the Emirates Group apparently.
    Might be worth contacting them as well.
    As for the onshore aspect - did you complain to the tour rep - and have you kept evidence of the accommodation ?
  • RightsExplained
    Options
    Which cruise line was deficient in providing the 3 days/nights AI - and why did that occur ?
    Imagine Cruising is 51% owned by the Emirates Group apparently.
    Might be worth contacting them as well.
    As for the onshore aspect - did you complain to the tour rep - and have you kept evidence of the accommodation ?
    Thank you.

It was Celebrity Millenium but everything was booked through Imagine Cruising. The 3 days/nights loss was in Bali, we contacted Imagine and received an apology and the explanation was that it was due to a misunderstanding between Imagine and the hotel, after 3 days/nights the Al package was opened up more to include more drinks included and a choice of restaurants to eat at. So we are claiming for 3 days/nights loss of the proper AI package that should have been offered at the start of the holiday. Is this a monetary loss?

I will certainly try Emirates as well, thank you for that info.

In relation to Maldives we complained to the Imagine rep at the reception desk and he told us that the island was full to capacity, he did not offer for us to be put on a waiting list for when a better room became available. We then found out a day later that other couples were being moved. We had no further communication from the rep during our stay. Very disappointing service.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    We were on an all-inclusive package, starting in Bali and it was not all-inclusive for 3 days/nights as we were offered limited eating venues and drinks. 
    You mean for your whole stay or just the first 3 days and then it changed?

• NoodleDoodleMan
    edited 23 February at 10:27AM
    Options
    The cruise line is irrelevant unless they were responsible for the complete package - your loss was ashore only.
    I'm not clued up on the finer aspects of cost differentials in such circumstances, never had any experience of loss of AI grades promised.
    Do you have details of the difference in price between the cost of the 3 days meals/drinks status that you paid for and the lesser level which you actually received ?
    To my mind that is a monetary loss - although it may not  be significantly diffrent ?
    Sounds like the rep did a bodyswerve to avoid addressing the problem - not untypical, it's the easy option for them.
    A recorded written complaint would have appropriate, with you keeping a copy - easier said than done on holiday of course.
    Lack of photographic evidence etc. does not help your case I'm afraid - although I'd be inclined to push for a financial settlement.
    A voucher is obviously going to oblige you to book with Imagine Cruising again which is clearly not on your agenda - and it's the easy get out of jail route for them.
    A strongly worded letter to Emirates would be worth the effort in my view, for what that's worth.

• Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Now you have provided more details my take on matters would be ;

a. For the AI mix up, for the extra costs you incurred when not receiving AI plan, subject to receipts being sent, a monetary cash refund, plus a small extra amount for the inconvenience. If however you still receive AI but perhaps only able to eat in one restaurant rather than all the a’la cartes, plus not all top branded drinks but a limited range, it might be more difficult to obtain much more back. 

b. For the ‘disappointment’ for the room in the Maldives, that is likely an ex-gratia voucher, unless the incorrect room category was given.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure