🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Retirement Regrets

Options

Comments

• Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jim8888 said:
    I can't understand why people don't exercise and keep fit, especially once you reach your fifties and sixties. Surely it is an absolute no-brainer in this day and age? There seems to be a cohort of retirees at my local gym and I often wonder what proportion of their age group they represent? How many over-sixties are active gym members going three or four times a week and working up a sweat? When you're retired you have so much time on your hands it seems to me there's no excuse for not taking care of your health, and that means that you must - if you physically can - do some serious exercise. From my peer group (now in their sixties), the main excuses for not doing any seems to be a lack of time, a (severe) lack of inclination or the feeling that it's too late to start now. One of the biggest proponents of all these excuses has just recently started going to the gym and it's transformed him - his weight has dropped, his blood pressure has reduced, his attitude and outlook has totally improved. Why this message, about the incredible benefits and necessity of exercise, isn't getting through to the majority of the population (not just the elderly) really puzzles me. 
    I wouldn't have the faintest idea what I was supposed to do in a gym. Never set foot in one. 
    Is there someone there who shows you what you're supposed to do? What each machine does, and how much of everything you're meant to do??
    When i joined my local gym i had to meet up with one of the fitness coaches who showed me around and explained how all the equipment worked and how to use them ,a bit like a work assessment thing but they have several staff in the gym evert day if help is needed .  
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • barnstar2077
    barnstar2077 Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    jim8888 said:
    I can't understand why people don't exercise and keep fit, especially once you reach your fifties and sixties. Surely it is an absolute no-brainer in this day and age? There seems to be a cohort of retirees at my local gym and I often wonder what proportion of their age group they represent? How many over-sixties are active gym members going three or four times a week and working up a sweat? When you're retired you have so much time on your hands it seems to me there's no excuse for not taking care of your health, and that means that you must - if you physically can - do some serious exercise. From my peer group (now in their sixties), the main excuses for not doing any seems to be a lack of time, a (severe) lack of inclination or the feeling that it's too late to start now. One of the biggest proponents of all these excuses has just recently started going to the gym and it's transformed him - his weight has dropped, his blood pressure has reduced, his attitude and outlook has totally improved. Why this message, about the incredible benefits and necessity of exercise, isn't getting through to the majority of the population (not just the elderly) really puzzles me. 
    There is a great documentary on Netflix called "Live to 100" where they discuss the importance of exercise (among other topics.)
      Surprisingly the long lived don't seem to go to the gym, they are busy, active people, who happen to exercise above average in their day to day lives.  The implication being that purpose combined with exercise is hard to beat.
    There was also the C4 programme with Jon snow about the blue zones or areas with increased longevity. That combined healthy eating, exercise and retaining a purpose in life when getting older.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/23244238.fancy-living-100-jon-snow-might-know-way/
    Thank you for this, I have added it to my viewing list!
    Think first of your goal, then make it happen!
  • GSP
    GSP Posts: 887 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think what you should gleam from all this is that no 2 lives are the same. What seems to be the normal thing to do by one, could be completely at odds with another view.

From all the information at your disposal everywhere, it’s up to you to make that informed choice, and what’s right for you.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,719 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    jim8888 said:
    I would agree with this.  I have always done some form of exercise but I took up coastal walking when I retired early at 58 and now run three different walking groups.  I also  use my country club membership more than I ever did when working doing three to four classes a week, swimming and spa and the gym.  I am early sixties and there are lots the same age up there so the message is getting through. I also took up e cycling with my husband as we live in a very hilly area but I am doubtful that has a massive impact on fitness but it is very enjoyable. Every day I am out and about doing something and hoping the benefits of exercise keeps me fit and well. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Chickereeeee
    Chickereeeee Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    jim8888 said:
    I find gym quire boring, and would not want to go 3-4 times per week!
    I try to do a session of gym, cycling and running each week, which seem to balance each other nicely.

• saucer
    saucer Posts: 436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jim8888 said:
    Agree with this. My mum is 80 and is an inspiration. She still runs marathons - in about 5.5 hours, one of the fastest in the word for her age and has travelled the world doing them, since she has automatic entry to any she chooses (London marathon again this year). She's also in the top 3 in the UK for park runs doing the 5k in about 28 minutes at 80 years old. My dad is the same age and can't run now due to new knees but the pair of them still go to the gym 5 days a week. He retired at 49 and has never looked back, lucky enough to have amazing government final salary pension. My wife and I plan to retire in 3 years (when I'm 56 and she will be 53) and have lots of plans including doing a ski season or two, cycling up some more mountains (we've done some of the Alps and Ventoux), paddle boarding around European lakes and buying a new house with a well kitted out home gym. Part of our retirement plan is to move to France about when I'm 60 and the kids are both adults. We lived in Paris for 3.5 years in 2008 and have basic French although will need to brush up. We also own a small ski apartment in France, which we will be using very extensively when we retire.
    You are in a privileged position. Not many people (anywhere) can afford to have second property, pursue their fitness interest around Europe and retire early. I’m sure you count your blessings. 
  • Mustbeananswer??
    Mustbeananswer?? Posts: 499 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Gym is a torture chamber in my eyes....Its all on static machines.

If you want to run ...dont go on a treadmill.Put some Trainers on and go to a place of beauty.If you want to row dont go on a a rowing machine...Launch a Boat/Kayak/ Canoe on one of our outstanding rivers.If you want to lift weights...study Bricklaying and build a family member a wall..we all know somebody in the family who wants one.

Truly I am not paying extortionate Gym Fees to stay in the same spot for no reward.Sorry !!!
  • BikingBud
    BikingBud Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Just been clearing out the veg plot and adding some compost to put some tates in, so turning the heavy muddy soil and moving compost heaps I can say digging = free phys
  • thriftytracey
    thriftytracey Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Body

Weekly Pilates
    22 miles cycling yesterday (admittedly on an e-bike) plus use my bike whenever I can
    Walked 3 miles with the dogs today
    Gardening
    Reduced wine consumption, one glass three times a week
    Cut out UPF where possible and all home cooking
    Volunteer at local woods, litter picking and planting trees etc
    Vice Chair of village environment group

Mind/Mental Well Being

Piano
    Concerts
    Current Affairs
    Read a book a week
    Volunteer at Community Cafe