Retirement Regrets

Options
Top 5 regrets from those that have retired already (from a Canadian site). Seems a fair summary to me and I like the Phrase 'retire into something, not retire from something'

https://youtu.be/uvm_1wXzeR0?si=w1mpGuMB-zWlNBHi

Comments

• cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,887 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I used that phrase a lot myself - absolutely critical that you should retire TO something, not FROM something….you have to have a (rough) plan for how you intend to spend your time after almost a lifetime of work 🤷‍♂️

3 years ago….many festivals, a 2 month interrail epic journey, a few cycling adventures (a mostly solo LEJoG, Iron-2-Iron, overnight camping fun with a pal), skiing shenanigans, plus a chunk of random time spent helping run County DofE for a spot of good-feel volunteering….
    …...never regretted a minute 😎

Spent some time today checking finances to see we can continue this crazy enjoyable experience: seems we can 🎉🍻👍

Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • eastcorkram
    eastcorkram Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Good video. 
    Into something is what I need to think about, because even though I'm thinking of finishing this year, at the moment, retirement is just completely void of anything. 
  • powerspowers
    powerspowers Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Options
    A friend put off retiring during covid as she didn’t know what to do with herself once retired. She finally retired late last year and died suddenly a few weeks ago. 
    I 100% agree with point 2 
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £1,350 /£3,600

• powerspowers
    powerspowers Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Options
    That’s a good point @GibbsRule_No3 and maybe I’m projecting a little. Agree that you don’t have to retire to be living a full life! Which is a good thing as it’s a long way off for me x
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £1,350 /£3,600

• Bobinyorkshire
    Options
    Saw this video before and thought it was very useful. Even when you check and recheck your numbers, in my own opinion the transition to ‘full time retirement’ is so difficult especially if you are in your 50s. Both me and my wife would have combined DB pensions which would cover our ongoing lifestyle and have savings for extras (home repairs, car upgrades, support kids etc), but still not getting that salary at the end of the month and the stimulation and sense of worth I get from work would be difficult to replicate. Have worked part time since I was 50 (soon to be 57) and spend too long procrastinating and too little time being decisive. My problem, but there it is 😳
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My only regret is I should have retired a year ago.  But it was circumstances beyond my control, I needed to sell our rental property and that took way longer than we hoped.  Until that was sold we had insufficient savings and too much income so I delayed drawing one of my pensions.

I have been self employed and since Covid have been reducing the amount of work I do until this last tax year that we are just finishing I have not earned very much at all.  So bit by bit I have been having less and less work and more free time.  Retiring from self employment is a lot different to retiring from a full time job where one day you just stop going to work.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback