Charter Savings Bank

Options
rigby44
rigby44 Posts: 39 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
edited 14 February at 11:23AM in ISAs & tax-free savings
Hi all, hoping for a little help/peace of mind from anyone who uses the above.

I have been going through the process of opening a cash ISA with them as I am attracted by the monthly interest payout and flexible withdrawals.

I intend to deposit the full £20,000, but I’m a little concerned that the bank seems quite ‘oldy worldy’ in that, they talk a lot about cheques, you actually have to send money from your account to them (As opposed to Chip, for example, where the transaction is made in app) They don’t have an app at all, and I am unable to send a small amount to test that it’s received as the minimum deposit is £5000. Apparently I am unable to send £1 or £10 as the transaction will be rejected.

I’m sure it will all be fine, but there are cleverer people than me who have sent £5000 into the night and simply watched it disappear.

Many thanks

Comments

2010 Posts: 5,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 February at 11:32AM
    Options
    Nothing wrong with Charter, been with them for years.
    The money is unlikely to disappear as you can only send it to them and receive money from them via your nominated account.
    Why don`t you send a tenner to them and see what happens.
    Pretty sure it`ll end up back in your nominated account and not the ether.

"Better "oldy worldy" than "here today, gone tomoorow".
    If you don`t like/trust the way they do business, don`t go with them.
  • Veteransaver
    Veteransaver Posts: 480 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    rigby44 said:
    Hi all, hoping for a little help/peace of mind from anyone who uses the above.

I have been going through the process of opening a cash ISA with them as I am attracted by the monthly interest payout and flexible withdrawals.

I intend to deposit the full £20,000, but I’m a little concerned that the bank seems quite ‘oldy worldy’ in that, they talk a lot about cheques, you actually have to send money from your account to them (As opposed to Chip, for example, where the transaction is made in app) They don’t have an app at all, and I am unable to send a small amount to test that it’s received as the minimum deposit is £5000. Apparently I am unable to send £1 or £10 as the transaction will be rejected.

I’m sure it will all be fine, but there are cleverer people than me who have sent £5000 into the night and simply watched it disappear.

Many thanks
    You can send £1 but it will get rejected, which is kind of proof they got it ok?
    Alternatively you could open another instant access account with Charter and transfer the money into that. Then transfer it internally
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,185 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

you actually have to send money from your account to them (As opposed to Chip, for example, where the transaction is made in app) They don’t have an app at all

Other similar smaller savings providers, tend to work in a similar way. There are usually delays on a day or so to add and withdraw money.
    Apps cost money to develop and operate and are a nice addon rather than a necessity. Especially as not a lot happens with a savings account from one day to the next !

• ladume
    ladume Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Hi- I have a similar questions, did yours go through alright using the sort code they provided in the email?
  • sparklymarkly
    sparklymarkly Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    No issues with Charter at all.
     I have several accounts with them and have for over 5 years.
    Maybe slightly old fashioned but it all works just fine.
    As some else suggested, send a test payment first to ensure it gets there.
     If it’s too small, it gets sent back with an email explaining why (I made that mistake with my first account with them).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback