Relatively simple job, but one of my worst DIY jobs! How to recover repair. this.?

Comments

• Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Ganga said:
    I thought it was just me who was terrible at applying silicon ,tried every method and cannot get a professional finish .
    It's an art, and I'm not an artist.
    Me neither, but I've found the rounded end of a Sharpie pen (not the nib end) to be a better tool for finishing silicone than any of the tools designed for the job.

Timing is everything - if it starts to 'skin' then either leave it alone, or clean it all off.
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,814 Forumite
    Ganga said:
    I thought it was just me who was terrible at applying silicon ,tried every method and cannot get a professional finish .
    Have you tried these tools? They are pretty amazing.
  • ThisIsWeird
    Ganga said:
    It's an art, and I'm not an artist.
    Pish, you ain't :smile:
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 February at 7:29PM
    Ganga said:
    Yes i bought some but when you see the chap use them on youtube they never have any gaps or have loads spreading over the sides of the tools. 
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • chris_n
    chris_n Posts: 613 Forumite
    Ganga said:
    Ganga said:
    Yes i bought some but when you see the chap use them on youtube they never have any gaps or have loads spreading over the sides of the tools. 
    That's because they put the right amount on in the first place. If the gap is inconsistent in any plane you need to adjust the speed of travel of the gun to get a consistently full gap. Very difficult if you don't do it regularly, as they say 'practice makes perfect'.
    Living the dream in the Austrian Alps.
  • ThisIsWeird
    Yes, it's a learning process.
    Lay out the bead for a couple of feet, and then try the tool for size, but not pressing it down firmly - drag it along. You'll soon see if you have the right amount.
    Then, deep breath, go for it with confidence. Keep the tool at 90o to the faces. Press it gently/firmly into place, and move it as smoothly along as you can.
    If you see a holiday, stop by lifting the tool away as you keep moving it. Add a small amount of extra sili, go back a foot, position the tool but don't press, get moving and slowly press it in to the previous amount. It'll touch-down gently and not make a mark - so you can carry on with the job.
    If, on the other hand, you've applied too much and it's building up and threatening to go over the tool sides, then again gently lift away whilst moving, wipe the tool clean (plenty of kitchen paper handy...), go back a foot, and repeat.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, it's a learning process.
    Lay out the bead for a couple of feet, and then try the tool for size, but not pressing it down firmly - drag it along. You'll soon see if you have the right amount.
    Then, deep breath, go for it with confidence. Keep the tool at 90o to the faces. Press it gently/firmly into place, and move it as smoothly along as you can.
    If you see a holiday, stop by lifting the tool away as you keep moving it. Add a small amount of extra sili, go back a foot, position the tool but don't press, get moving and slowly press it in to the previous amount. It'll touch-down gently and not make a mark - so you can carry on with the job.
    If, on the other hand, you've applied too much and it's building up and threatening to go over the tool sides, then again gently lift away whilst moving, wipe the tool clean (plenty of kitchen paper handy...), go back a foot, and repeat.
    I normally go on holiday twice a year but do not intend to do any plumbing wok whilst there  :):):smile:
    The curse of auto correct  :smile:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • ThisIsWeird
    Ah, but I did mean 'holiday' - a missed gap in paint or sili or stuff :smile:
    Not a known term?!
  • Chickereeeee
    Chickereeeee Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Most of these replies assume you are using silicone, which you aren't. Plumbers Gold is a polymer sealant, and different 'rules' may apply. For instance, I am not all sure it doesn’t stick to itself. I have used it between a standalone bath and a wall (to stop tap drips getting down there, and also to prevent bath movement) and it has been excellent. I don't thick silicone would have stopped the bath moving so well.

If memory serves, (it was 7 years ago) I was unhappy with my first attempt, and dreaded having to strip it off, but it came off in one piece with no residue (unlike silicone). My second attempt was perfect(ly adequate).
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If it’s any consolation OP, I also have trouble using sealant, get in a right mess
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback