🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Advice please - Package holiday with refurbishment works at the hotel

Options
Hello,

I’m hoping someone could provide some advice on what to do next. We had booked several months ago a Jet2 package holiday to depart next week to the Canary Islands. Yesterday they sent us an email saying that the hotel is undergoing renovation works and that half of its pools are unavailable to guests, particularly a heated one. 

The email also suggested that if we were not happy with it we could change to an alternative holiday at the cost of the original booking. Already annoyed that we might not get a deal close to what we had as prices have gone up, we did manage to find an alternative hotel on the same island for similar cost. 

When we contacted Jet2 to change hotels they say that because we had a child free place on the original booking they would need to cancel all our reservation including the flight, and then book another to change the hotel. The problem is that our flight is full and if they cancel our flight they can’t provide us with a flight until later in the week, defeating the purpose. 

I’m not sure how I can make them simply change the hotel and leave the flight alone, as they keep telling me their system doesn’t allow that.

Alternatively if we end up not changing hotel’s and our holidays are disrupted by the building works, can we claim compensation on that? We have copies of all the conversation exchanges in trying to sort this out.

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    First of all, the loss of a heated pool isnt a biggie, I go to the Canaries all year round and its warm enough for a normal pool all year round.

Secondly, the extent of the "building works" may not actually impact you at all, have you done some research into what they actually entail (trip advisor reviews etc)?

• NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,436 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    "The problem is that our flight is full and if they cancel our flight they can’t provide us with a flight until later in the week, defeating the purpose."
    Why would they be cancelling your flight reservations ?
    You are only switching accommodation on the same islands using the same flights aready booked - or am I missing something ?

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    "The problem is that our flight is full and if they cancel our flight they can’t provide us with a flight until later in the week, defeating the purpose."
    Why would they be cancelling your flight reservations ?
    You are only switching accommodation on the same islands using the same flights aready booked - or am I missing something ?
    Yes, you're missing the fact that they're refusing to do that, citing system limitations:
    Eyeeel said:
    I’m not sure how I can make them simply change the hotel and leave the flight alone, as they keep telling me their system doesn’t allow that.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,966 Forumite
    Options
    Eyeeel said:
    Hello,

I’m hoping someone could provide some advice on what to do next. We had booked several months ago a Jet2 package holiday to depart next week to the Canary Islands. Yesterday they sent us an email saying that the hotel is undergoing renovation works and that half of its pools are unavailable to guests, particularly a heated one. 

The email also suggested that if we were not happy with it we could change to an alternative holiday at the cost of the original booking. Already annoyed that we might not get a deal close to what we had as prices have gone up, we did manage to find an alternative hotel on the same island for similar cost. 

When we contacted Jet2 to change hotels they say that because we had a child free place on the original booking they would need to cancel all our reservation including the flight, and then book another to change the hotel. The problem is that our flight is full and if they cancel our flight they can’t provide us with a flight until later in the week, defeating the purpose. 

Alternatively if we end up not changing hotel’s and our holidays are disrupted by the building works, can we claim compensation on that? We have copies of all the conversation exchanges in trying to sort this out.

Thank you for your help.
    This would not be the normal process for a hotel change following an advised errata of building work/facility closure.

Did you speak with the originator of the errata letter or just called a random J2H number?  I would try again if indeed you do wish to move hotels.   As la531983 mentions, sometimes the errata notification can be over cautious.  
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    la531983 said:
    First of all, the loss of a heated pool isnt a biggie, I go to the Canaries all year round and its warm enough for a normal pool all year round.

Secondly, the extent of the "building works" may not actually impact you at all, have you done some research into what they actually entail (trip advisor reviews etc)?

Building works are always a fact of life in the Canaries. Unlike the Med, they really don't have an off-season to do maintenance work so there is a chance it can be happening at any time of the year.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,436 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    "Yes, you're missing the fact that they're refusing to do that, citing system limitations:"
    I assumed that a human operator might have the ability to manual overide the system.
  • Eyeeel
    Eyeeel Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They can’t tell me much details on the current works. I’ve seen some recent reviews and it’s a ratio of 3/4 negative and 1/4 positive. 

The letter came from the reservation’s department, we’re talking on chat with customer services and despite having spoken with 3 people already we seem to be going around in circles.

I’ve also quoted the consumer rights act that requires a holiday company to put things right if they can no longer offer the experience it was booked. But they keep saying that they can’t change my hotel without changing my flight, now missing the holiday week entirely, it’s ridiculous.

At this rate going to end up risking the booked hotel hoping that the works are not too bad. But really not impressed with Jet2 handling of this 
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,966 Forumite
    Options
    I am still surprised that you are being told your flight elements need to be rebooked.

Is the alternative hotel that you have suggested to them in the same resort/same island?  Perhaps transfers are not mapped and linked to your original flight. 
  • Eyeeel
    Eyeeel Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It’s on the same island and we are already on the flight. It’s mind boggling that they can’t make a simple hotel amendment 🤯

Don’t think I will be booking again with Jet2 in the near future 😡

• Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As you are taking a child with you I would raise concerns about safety while ongoing bulding work is taking place at hotel, might encourage a way for system to rebook.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure