🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Octopus Solar offer? Any negatives?

Options
MoneyMon555
MoneyMon555 Posts: 120 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 6 February at 9:59PM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
Hi - just been offered solar from Ocopus with no obvious charge as far as I can see.

What  would be the 'catch' or failing that , what would be the downside/negatives on accepting it?

Does anyone here have with experience of this? How did you find it and how are you getting on?

Thanks

Comments

• marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you sure?  They quoted me £8k or so.  For a big system and battery.
  • MoneyMon555
    edited 6 February at 9:41PM
    Options
    Well, I got this email (and it is 100% from Octopus), and replied and they said "We hope we can support you with a solar system and battery free of charge through our Warm Home Discount scheme"

and then further on "
    Thank you for applying for a free solar panel installation through our Warm Home Discount scheme. "

and then in follow up email after sending property details - "
    Thanks so much for your interest in a solar installation from Octopus Energy. Based on available property information, we think a 6-panel system with A Giv-Energy 5.2kWh Battery would be a great fit for your home.

And the great news is that, subject to your property eligibility, we can install this for you free of charge through Octopus Energy’s Warm Home Discount Industry Initiative Scheme!"

"

What's included in my proposal?

Your proposal includes everything you need to begin generating your own clean, green electrons at home, and save money on your energy bills in the process!

• 6x JA Solar 405w panels
    • A Giv-Energy 5.2kWh Battery
    • A Giv-Energy Hybrid Inverter
    • Installation on a Single Aspect roof
    • Bird-Netting as standard
    • All electrical components required to complete the install
    • All scaffolding, delivery and labour"

I cant find any mention of cost...am I just reading this incorrectly?
  • Screwdriva
    Screwdriva Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Sounds surreal! If you qualify for a grant based installation, I'd go for it but I'd also offer to pay for additional panels (if they won't install them for free).
    -  10 x 400w LG + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial Panels + SE 3680 HD Wave Inverter + SE Optimizers. SE London.
    -  Triple aspect. (22% ENE/ 33% SSE/ 45% WSW)
    -  Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (the most efficient gas boiler sold)

Feel free to DM me if I can help with any energy saving!
  • MoneyMon555
    Options
    Sounds surreal! If you qualify for a grant based installation, I'd go for it but I'd also offer to pay for additional panels (if they won't install them for free).
    They do mention we could discuss about 'alternative' system fitting...which I took to mean upgrades...

Does that list above sound ok as a set up? 

What do experienced solar people recommend 'over and above' what is outlined?
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 6 February at 11:10PM
    Options
    They do mention we could discuss about 'alternative' system fitting...which I took to mean upgrades...
    Does that list above sound ok as a set up?
    Yes, if someone was offering to fit that for me, for free, I'd take it.
    What do experienced solar people recommend 'over and above' what is outlined?
    As Screwdriva says, if there is room on your roof for half-a-dozen more panels, it would make sense to fit them. Last time I paid for a solar installation (three years ago) I was offered the chance to fine-tune the installation for £200 a panel. You might get a similar offer.
    A 400-watt panel on your roof is potentially worth £60 a year.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,344 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The main thing is to get as many panels on the roof as possible. I'm assuming it is a 3.68kW inverter which would be fine for up to 10 panels. Panels are dirt cheap, at the moment, so it shouldn't cost much extra. It might be worth adding an additional battery if you intend to also charge up with off-peak electricity. You can then export any surplus, above you daily consumption at a profit, on the right Octopus tariffs.
  • MoneyMon555
    Options
    Thanks for info both - I am not sure if that is the max number of panels they can fit on there or if there is more space? They only have the address and postcode and therefore possibly looked on Google street view at the general aspect of roof etc? Or have a database of houses and roof space in that postcode? They did all of the 'quote' over email, but do need to come out too , and it is subject to that

Either way, I will enquire about fitting more and possibly an additional battery.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't know how much electricity your household uses, but if 5kWh will get you most of the way through the day there's unlikely to be much benefit from adding another battery.
    But ask and see what they say. If you need a second opinion, come back to this thread and let us know.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • ecraig
    ecraig Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My 6.5kWh Growatt battery was sometimes not  enough to get me through the whole evening in winter, until I changed to Agile where I find myself topping up the battery in the slightly cheaper period during daylight hours.
    Happy to import any amount of energy as long as it’s less than 15p, as then any generation once my battery is full that is exported will earn me the same 15p fixed rate.
  • moonbramble
    Options
    One question that springs to mind.  Did you apply for a Warm Home Grant?  If so then great. 

Some areas aren't eligible for them so in my case I would have been charges £15k for the Octopus option through Project Solar but when I did my sums I wasn't going to go with them until I've have some more quotes for a similar system.  They were offering low light panels rather than Sun generation only, which I'd never heard of and coming onto here there are a few negative reports about Project Solar as well. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure