Chasing the best interest rate

Options
Should I be switching bank accounts for savings every year to chase the best interest rates for savings? It seems easy to do but ends up with having loads of accounts?

Comments

• surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,108 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's what we're all doing 
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't necessarily have to keep them all open once you've moved the money out. If you go through the switching process (to get switching rewards) the old account generally gets closed automatically 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You don't necessarily have to keep them all open once you've moved the money out. If you go through the switching process (to get switching rewards) the old account generally gets closed automatically 
    Only current account, not any savings accounts.
    So savings need to be manually closed 👍
    Life in the slow lane
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 4 February at 12:04PM
    Options
    FeeCorner said:
    Should I be switching bank accounts for savings every year to chase the best interest rates for savings?
    These are often two different things. People will switch current accounts for the bonus but they rarely pay good rates. People will open savings accounts for good rates and while some of them require a current account many don't
    So what do you have in mind, the best interest rates or the bonus?
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,198 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    FeeCorner said:
    Should I be switching bank accounts for savings every year to chase the best interest rates for savings? It seems easy to do but ends up with having loads of accounts?
    Regarding savings accounts, yes you should be regularly monitoring that you are getting decent rates, and be prepared to switch as and when necessary. Often you can move accounts but stay with the same provider which is easier. 

However should you be looking to switch and open new accounts on a weekly/monthly basis to chase the latest 0.1% increase in rates? This is more debatable. Some people do and have many different live and dormant accounts.  However it can be a lot of effort for a limited reward, so not everybody's cup of tea.

• jimexbox
    jimexbox Posts: 12,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    FeeCorner said:
    Keep one account for direct debits. Then move everything else as the best accounts change. 
  • malcolmw_3
    malcolmw_3 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’ve been checking best rates and looked at Beehive which pays interest yearly and compared with a monthly interest payer (Marcus). On paper Beehive is 5.12% and Marcus at 4.75%. On a £10000 deposit there’s an annual difference of around £26 so only a couple of pounds per month, calculated as single v compounded . Just a reminder there’s more to savings rates than just the numbers. 
  • refluxer
    refluxer Posts: 2,704 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    malcolmw_3 said:
    I’ve been checking best rates and looked at Beehive which pays interest yearly and compared with a monthly interest payer (Marcus). On paper Beehive is 5.12% and Marcus at 4.75%. On a £10000 deposit there’s an annual difference of around £26 so only a couple of pounds per month, calculated as single v compounded . Just a reminder there’s more to savings rates than just the numbers. 
    But you only mentioned the numbers - if you're saying you'd choose Marcus over Beehive (despite the lower rate), can you say why that would be to help make your point a bit clearer ?

£10k in Beehive @ 5.12% AER gives £512 in interest and £10k in Marcus @ 4.75% AER gives £475 (presuming that the monthly interest is paid into the account and allowed to compound), so the difference is £37 PA.

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 March at 5:32PM
    Options
    Marcus pays 4.65% gross. If you leave the monthly interest to compound it will pay 4.75% AER so a difference of £37 with Beehive at 5.12% gross/AER
    Have a read of this to see how AER/gross works
  • malcolmw_3
    malcolmw_3 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry if not clear but I wouldn’t personally switch accounts for a couple of pounds a month especially as I’m taxed on interest as well so £37 shrinks even more. However I completely understand if someone can be motivated to switch for £20 something increases in income (per10000 that is).  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback