Chasing the best interest rate

Options

Comments

• MissHap
    MissHap Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    7% savings accounts......................only one mention of this rate in the posts on this subject but 3 are mentioned on MSE, First Direct, Skipton, and Co-Operative, any reason why these were not mentioned??
  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    MissHap said:
    7% savings accounts......................only one mention of this rate in the posts on this subject but 3 are mentioned on MSE, First Direct, Skipton, and Co-Operative, any reason why these were not mentioned??

They are all Regular Saver accounts and are all mentioned in the RS thread
  • Zoe02
    Zoe02 Posts: 475 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Depends, I am on 5% for example would not switch for 5.1% but if i was on 2% will switch to 5.1%.
  • VNX
    VNX Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    FeeCorner said:
    Should I be switching bank accounts for savings every year to chase the best interest rates for savings? It seems easy to do but ends up with having loads of accounts?
    I’d be switching much more than once a year if I were you, or you could do it much less frequently and lose out on interest, your call.
  • jameseonline
    jameseonline Posts: 369 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 March at 2:45PM
    Options
    Ok one final attempt to clarify, it’s not the £37 (minus tax). In today’s email it’s made clear that the best interest rate gains 10p per £1000, my example is £3.70 per year. So where do you draw the line? From your position would you move for 10p? 
    I have accounts with over 60 different banks/building societies, as a result in many cases it only takes a few minutes at most to open a new savings account and not much longer to get the money to it, I can do his whilst I'm waiting for the kettle to boil.

I have more transactions on my accounts each month than I care to remember, one or two more won't hurt and I quite enjoy being a rate tart to be honest. So yes, I'd move my savings for another 10p and have done so in the past, all those 10ps soon add up but I appreciate it's not everyone's cup of tea.
    60 different?😱

I've just done a quick calculation I'm just under half that.
  • Bridlington1
    Bridlington1 Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Ok one final attempt to clarify, it’s not the £37 (minus tax). In today’s email it’s made clear that the best interest rate gains 10p per £1000, my example is £3.70 per year. So where do you draw the line? From your position would you move for 10p? 
    I have accounts with over 60 different banks/building societies, as a result in many cases it only takes a few minutes at most to open a new savings account and not much longer to get the money to it, I can do his whilst I'm waiting for the kettle to boil.

I have more transactions on my accounts each month than I care to remember, one or two more won't hurt and I quite enjoy being a rate tart to be honest. So yes, I'd move my savings for another 10p and have done so in the past, all those 10ps soon add up but I appreciate it's not everyone's cup of tea.
    60 different?😱
    Yes, they do breed a bit don't they. Over 100 accounts in total between those providers.
  • Rich1976
    Rich1976 Posts: 532 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

60 different?😱
    Yes, they do breed a bit don't they. Over 100 accounts in total between those providers.
    Wow that is some going. If you can manage all of that fair play to you. Having 2 or 3 is more than enough for my little brain to cope with 🙂
  • jameseonline
    jameseonline Posts: 369 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options

60 different?😱
    No idea how many accounts I have between 26 Banks/Building Societies/Other, might take a while 🤣

But then not all of the accounts have anything in & some only have a £1 or so and that's just savings accounts 🤣

Oh wait I still have like £2 in the old Virgin Money system (before Clydesdale took over) so would that be 27 or still 26? 🤔😁
  • smiley2085
    smiley2085 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So just wondering what you guys do when you have to provide bank statements for things like visa applications or mortgage applications when you have so many bank accounts? 
  • PatriciaJenkin
    Options
    FeeCorner said:
    Should I be switching bank accounts for savings every year to chase the best interest rates for savings? It seems easy to do but ends up with having loads of accounts?
    1 yr fixed savers often pay high amount but then drop - the time to withdraw and close and move on
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback