Living it up by the sea

Options
Thought I would start my own thread as I regularly read others on this site.  Myself and my husband moved to Lincolnshire after he was forced to take retirement due to ill health 13 years ago.  Started looking for a property with more land in a nice area and ended up here!  Since moving to Lincolnshire, we have moved another two times and eventually settled in a small coastal village.  We are lucky that in our village we have 2 pubs (one currently closed), a petrol station with shop, and a fish and chip shop which opens during the holiday season.  In the next village 2 miles away we have Doctors, more shops and eateries.  We are both entering our late 60's but keep active with various happenings in our village.  The main problem is that some of the residents who were born here or who have lived here for a long time definitely do not like what they call "incomers",  This does make for lots of healthy debates on village issues though.  We like the fact that we can walk out of our property and within 5 minutes be walking by the sea and on the dunes, and there are lots of lovely walks in and around us. On our last move 3 years ago we decided to downsize to a garden of 1 acre which is more manageable but there is always lots to be done so that keeps us busy too.  

Comments

• Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    'Incomers' are people who arrive in a village and don't actively contribute to the running of the various events and clubs etc that go on. Once they do, it's noticed, and they cease to become outsiders, though they may never be regarded as locals.
    Here, in Devon, I hail from a town 10 miles away, and I speak the lingo, so I've never accepted the incomer tag, just that I'm not 'local.' From a practical point of view, it seems to make little difference. I'm treated well and so is my wife, probably because both of us became involved in running village clubs and worked alongside many people with similar objectives. At first, it was hard for me to find a place where I fitted-in, and my skills were valued, but the chance came along eventually.
    There are sometimes particular things that seem the preserve of 'locals;' one being the running of the village hall, where the committee has been the same for many years. It might be indelicate to attempt debate over matters like that, but I don't find matters like planning for a new housing estate to be a problem area in discussion. The more far-sighted villagers recognise the need for new blood, especially since Covid damaged so many recreational activities, some permanently.
    Forget robot dogs; why not send people to the Moon?
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think Lincolnshire is well known for its insularism tendency ( note the referendum vote in 2016)Lincolnshire records UK's highest Brexit vote - BBC News

I presume the incomers are even less welcome, if they are from 'farther afield' ?
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    I'd guess the proportion of incomers to locals may be a factor in the welcome an outsider receives in a 'normal' village; by which I mean places not already full of second homes and holiday lets. Here, we may be around 50:50 now, helped by relatively modest prices compared with some desirable urban areas.
    When we arrived, within a week, we'd had a visit from one of the villagers who gave us some local knowledge and handed over a welcome pack. Among other things, this contained a copy of the village magazine, contact details for local services and maps of local walks. I found myself handing-over a similar pack recently, not because I'm a village worthy, but thanks to living close to the new arrivals. Perhaps that indicates how 'open' our village is and how its informal network shares tasks around, rather than always relying on the same old group of stalwarts. If there's something special going on, like the coronation last year, there's usually enough people prepared to pitch-in even if they don't want a regular commitment of some kind.
    Lincolnshire may have more insularity than usual, but I've read posts on social media complaining about 'unwelcoming' locations in Devon too, so there's probably some luck of the draw involved. A friend, who moved to Somerset a few years ago, complains that while her village is friendly, there's little appetite for change. As she was one of the movers and shakers here, producing hilarious drama and organising light-hearted themed evenings, I understand her pain. However, here she was not alone, with at least half a dozen lively, like-minded individuals backing her up. It was just a lucky mix of folk.

Three years is good going, but we started with the land before it became completely re-wilded! Anyway, it took 5 years to find all the people required to tackle the house and work out what various parts needed. Sadly, the answer, in many cases, was demolition! :D Would we do it again? Of course not. The ironic bit is we'd actually know what we were doing now! :D
    Forget robot dogs; why not send people to the Moon?
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 31 January at 7:59PM
    Options
    I'm curious to know which is your nearest town!  Only because I am in Lincolnshire- been here many years, I just miss cultural things , but enjoy a slower pace of life!
     I used to take my dogs regularly to the beach with miles of flat sand, sadly don't walk as well now.....

Stick with it in the village & ignore the awkward ones.

The answer to why change is because everything is evolving and if it doesn't then eventually it dies off. Sadly when the school, PO & pub goes that is the death knell to a village.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I live in a large city, and some areas are mainly inhabited by people whose parents or grandparents moved into the houses when they were first built! You might not think that would lead to insularity, but you'd be wrong. Go a couple of miles down the road and your accent will be 'wrong'. Mine's wrong anyway ... 

Our 'corner' isn't too bad because we have a lot of students in the area, and quite a few of them never leave. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Katiehound
    Options
    Louth is lovely especially if Lincs CC keeps its hands off ! The yellow parklets were a disaster.....
    . Have sent you a pm.
    Many thanks
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Katiehound
    Options
    have you seen / done the following?

Climbed the spire of St James? fantastic view on a clear day
    Just looked- closed- peregrines nesting Feb- July. Maybe it's open later in the year- it doesn't say.

seen Brown's panorama- painting of that view in 1844. town council- or museum

visited the old pubs_ Wheatsheaf, Westgate (17th C)  ye Olde White Swan (1612) Eastgate,  Woolpack (1770) Riverhead

seen the two workhouses (one pre 1838 + overseer's house)

seen the seals at Donna Nook - probably too late for this year

seen the summer orchids at Rimac- June/July

yes, I could have messaged you but others might like to visit Louth!!
    Many thanks

• Katiehound
    Options
     Is the bamboo   the invasive variety? i don't envy you that job.
    Many thanks

• Humboldt
    Humboldt Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    @uralmaid how lucky are you living within 5 minutes walking distance from the sea and dunes? It sounds idyllic.  Lancashire hotpot followed by cherry pie and custard, yes please!
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Enjoying reading your diary, with my tiny garden an acre sounds a lot to manage.
    Though like you we also live close to the beach (less than 2 miles) and within 5 minutes walk of our house are in Natural England woods that we love walking in with dog.
    Although we have a village with lots of shops, bars and restaurants within 10 minutes walk it is surrounded by large housing estates so doesn’t seem to be any issues re newcomers etc, though maybe I am just not aware.
    We find everyone here has either Lancashire or Liverpool accents so quite amusing the variation. We are from Liverpool and despite only moving 12 miles feel like we are on our holidays after 4 years living here. 
    This is my second month of retirement so enjoying being able to go out and appreciate the area even more.
    Money SPENDING Expert

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure