Fabulous February's No-Spend Day Challenge!

Options
1515253545557»

Comments

• GeorgianaCavendish
    GeorgianaCavendish Posts: 2,387 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I totally lost track in February - it’s been such a stressful month with work and the house renovations. I’ll pop over to the March thread and join you there 😊 
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,476 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I totally lost track in February - it’s been such a stressful month with work and the house renovations. I’ll pop over to the March thread and join you there 😊 
    @GeorgianaCavendish great to hear from you, sorry to hear the renovations/work have been stressful. See you on the March thread xx :smile: 
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • Worlds_Worst_Superhero
    Options
    Apologies for not checking back in until now. I've been ankle-deep in bathroom DIY stuff.

Turns out that the old pipework was terribly corroded and needed urgent replacement. After getting a few quotes (including one chance who tried to upsell me my "dream bathroom" for over £3000!) I worked with a local plumber who was happy to do all the major plumbing work and oversee the minor work I could do myself.

I'm not sure which bits of the job count as "Essential Household Maintenance", and which are to be calculated as "Non-essential". For instance, I could have replaced the sink taps with some spare ones I had in the shed, but decided that as the tools were all out, now was the time to get some fancy new ones. 
    And if I was replacing the sink taps, I might as well go all out and replace the bath ones....especially as they were both on sale.

In short, all the pipework and waste pipes in the bathroom were replaced, fancy new water-saving sink and bath taps with shower and new valve thingy in the loo so it uses much less water but can still have enough power to do..erm...what it has to do.

Total spend for plumbing stuff- £275.
    A big spend, but much better than £3000!
  • Worlds_Worst_Superhero
    Worlds_Worst_Superhero Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 March at 1:40PM
    Options
    Forgot to say, I'm calling 23 "No Unnecessary Spending" days for February 2024.

Apart from the bills (paid by Direct Debit), food, cleaning stuff and travel, I bought the following:

Plumbing supplies and Plumber £275
    Donation for Coffee + Biscuits at Eco Event £2
    Kindle Book £0.99
    Wallet from Charity Shop for partner as his is falling apart (New!) £2 
  • cathybird
    Options
    February

Off to a start = image
    5 days = image
    10 days = image

15 days = image
    20 days = image
    Target reached = image
    Target beaten = image 

February targets

AuntieL 18/18          

Balancinglife 15/18          

beanielou 21/19                

bloomfelt 13/18        

blubella 3/12    

BudgetingBelinda 3/15    

Caeraugirl 20/20              

cathybird 21/15                

Captspar 4/15    

Couldsavemore 13/15        

Crazycatlady2 18/18          

Flying By 15/14            

GeorgianaCavendish 8/16      

Geriatricmum 13/10            

Honeysucklelou2 4/10   

HotDog2020 9/14     

ilovetea 21/20               

JustALass 7/12     

KajiKita 18/18         

keggie 15/15           

laura lau 19/18           

leftatthetrafficlights 24

lianne1984 10

LittleMissDetermined 17/15           

Makingabobor2 10/15       

Money Choices 10/10       

Mrs Cautious 19/20        

MrsSave 5/10      

Nervous1234 22/20             

OnlyJealousOfBirds 6/15     

PurplePhoenix62 10

Rupacomp 13/12           

SecondStar 26/26           

short bird 18/18           

Thevalueofless 16/20         

Worlds Worst Superhero 23/TF          image

:):) Newcomers welcome! :):)

• cathybird
    Options
    Apologies for not checking back in until now. I've been ankle-deep in bathroom DIY stuff.

Turns out that the old pipework was terribly corroded and needed urgent replacement. After getting a few quotes (including one chance who tried to upsell me my "dream bathroom" for over £3000!) I worked with a local plumber who was happy to do all the major plumbing work and oversee the minor work I could do myself.

I'm not sure which bits of the job count as "Essential Household Maintenance", and which are to be calculated as "Non-essential". For instance, I could have replaced the sink taps with some spare ones I had in the shed, but decided that as the tools were all out, now was the time to get some fancy new ones. 
    And if I was replacing the sink taps, I might as well go all out and replace the bath ones....especially as they were both on sale.

In short, all the pipework and waste pipes in the bathroom were replaced, fancy new water-saving sink and bath taps with shower and new valve thingy in the loo so it uses much less water but can still have enough power to do..erm...what it has to do.

Total spend for plumbing stuff- £275.
    A big spend, but much better than £3000!
    Well done Worlds Worst Superhero imageimageimage Speaking for myself I'd include things like new taps even if they were needed because it's a biggish expense and also something you don't spend on that often, but I know other people who've taken part in the challenge who don't count work on the house if it's budgeted for or necessary. But I try to pay for these things on days when I have other expenses anyway, so it would be a spendy day anyway, if that makes sense. Sorry not to be clearer but it is up to you to a certain extent whether you class something as a non-spend or not! Well done on 23 days though xx See you on the March thread! image
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure