Money Moral Dilemma: Is it OK if I choose to sell something to a woman rather than a man?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 345 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I've £100 worth of laminate flooring that I've put up for sale online cheaply to get rid of. As the buyer will have to collect, and I'm a woman who lives alone, I've been reluctant to accept any of the offers I've had as they're all from men. I said to a friend that I hoped a woman would make an offer, even if it was lower, as I'd feel safer dealing with them, but my friend said that's unfair and I should sell to the first person who offered the asking price. Should I wait for an offer from someone I'm comfortable giving my address to or do as my friend says?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Comments

• Miser1964
    Miser1964 Posts: 283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    TBH, I don't sell anything on collection even in the buyer asks. Too many downsides from scams let alone security. 
  • bluelad1927
    bluelad1927 Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You'll probably end up selling it to a woman who will then send her husband round to collect it
  • Obird63
    Obird63 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would suggest getting someone to come round to your place when a prospective buyer is due to visit. Or, if the object is simply to get rid of it and you aren't that bothered about the money, why don't you just donate it to a charity? That way, anyone who comes round to get it will at least have been vetted... 
  • nev.obrady
    nev.obrady Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're OK to sell to whom you feel comfortable 
  • shaz-deco
    shaz-deco Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    soolin said:
    I don’t see how you can limit this to a woman buying? OK you might try by guessing from the name, but even if a female buys it they might send someone else to collect.
    Agree, i sold online a few times and had a woman send her hubby and vice versa. If you are concerned the best bet is to have someone round when they call. Is there a trusted neighbour you could ask to be around?
  • keithyno.1
    keithyno.1 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 January at 9:35PM
    Options
    Absolutely you're OK to sell it to whoever you want to, whether they're female, male, transgender, non-binary or whatever! 

As for your friend saying selling it only to a female is "unfair," well what's it got to do with her/him anyway? It's your stuff to sell, not theirs. If it was me I really would be tempted to tell her/him to mind their own business and stop sticking her/his nose into other people's.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback