We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Away From The Madding Crowd
Comments
-
@bluenose1, @sheilavw and @louby40 Haworth now added to my ever growing list of places to visit 😀
Today's simple pleasure - whilst enjoying a cuppa in the garden today, DH and I heard what sounded like birds honking. When we looked up, we saw 3 large groups of geese flying above us in a v-formation. A fabulous sight.
4 -
Hello and welcome.
Motivational quote of the week.
Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body – Richard Steele.
Money saving.
Our monthly grocery budget for me and my DH is £300. Week 2 spend for September was £55.09. Total spend to date for September is £132.43.
Purchased a M+S trench coat on V!nted for £8.
Bought a pack of 10 viola plants from Ald!, only £1.89 and used them to refresh the pots at the front of the house. Excellent price for a bit of seasonal cheer.
Freebies.
A packet of strawberry C@ndy Kittens sweets via my mobile network provider.
A local Seed Hub donates free seeds to our local library for people to take. This week I picked up a packet of Snowball turnip seeds.
This week’s main menu.
Monday – Stuffed peppers, with a large salad. Peppers stuffed with leftover Bolognese from the freezer. Cooked the peppers in the air fryer.
Tuesday – Pasta e Fagioli (from one of my recipe scrap books), with a homemade cheese scone from the freezer. Chicken stock is homemade.
Wednesday – Pork n Beans (S@insbury recipe), with swede and carrot mash, and lightly steamed greens.
Thursday – Thai green tomato curry, with a small portion of rice. I will use a shop bought Thai green curry paste, homegrown green tomatoes, a green pepper, a pinch of sugar (to balance the acidity), coconut milk, and fresh coriander.
Edited - Yesterdays recipe made sufficient to have a ping meal today.
Friday – Feta & pea tart (G0od F00d recipe), roasted hassle back new potatoes, and salad. To fully utilise the oven, I will also bake a homemade sourdough. I will use the remainder of the feta and crème fraiche in Saturday and Sunday’s recipes.
Edited - Today we enjoyed the Thai green tomato curry, with a small portion of rice.
Saturday – Creamy mushroom and tuna spaghetti (from one of my recipe scrap books).
Edited - Today DH cooked us Spanish Chicken (H@iry Dieter's recipe). Tomatoes/carrots were homegrown. Chicken thighs were from the freezer (I generally do not use a full pack and freeze the rest).
Sunday – Roasted vegetables, with whole-wheat couscous, and feta. I will roast the veg in the air fryer.
Edited - After a long day out, we were happy to eat poached eggs on sourdough toast for our evening meal.
Healthier lifestyle.
Last week’s step count was 57,354.
Completed 0 free online workouts.
Completed 5 free online meditations.
Simple pleasures.
An hour spent in the summerhouse reading a magazine that a friend had kindly passed on to me. I will reciprocate, by passing the magazine to another friend when I have finished with it.
A trip to the coast and a long walk with DH. A picnic whilst watching seals in the sea.
A couple of hours spent in the garden. Some general tidying, and carrot, spring onion and snowball turnip seeds sown in one of the vegetable boxes.
Update on my glut of green tomatoes – the tomatoes that were in a box with a banana are now ripening on the kitchen windowsill (it was taking too long!), those left on the vine outside are now ripening well, 8 jars of green tomato chutney made, and Thai green curry on the menu this week.
DH and I have enjoyed watching 'Sam & Ade Go Birding', Channel 5, which premiered in April 26. Similar to Gone Fishing, except it’s Gone Birding, featuring Samuel West (All Creatures Great and Small) and Adrian Edmondson (The Young Ones). Gentle humour, nature and a bit of a natter - good for the soul.
Books read 21/26 – The Lost Passenger – Frances Quinn (a library book).
In the chaos of that terrible night her secret went down with the Titanic. But secrets have a way of floating to the surface…The author of The Smallest Man and That Bonesetter Woman. A story that is about grabbing your chances with both hands, and being brave enough to find out who you really are.
Thank you for dropping by and reading my diary.
5 -
@Humboldt Really hope you enjoy your chutney, the mustard does make it resemble picalilli. Although we can’t resist eating immediately I find the flavour develops further over the next week or so. As usual you put me to shame as I still haven’t made mine, going to be Friday at the earliest, the M&S empty glass bean jars will be used to store them. Impresssed with the bargain price of your chutney ingredients.
Been to Aldi today and spent £128, which included at least 9 lunch and main course meals and plenty of fruit etc to keep the three of us going a while. We normally have overnight oats with chia seeds, Greek yoghurt fruit and seeds as our healthy early evening snack. I went pescatarian a few months ago and predominantly eat a plant based diet with fish maybe twice a week. Have increased my fibre to 30g per day and eating over 30 different plant foods a week, made a lot easier as spices included in the 30.
I need to do more batch cooking or your ping cooking, though tonight for me is a ping meal as having yesterday’s butter bean one pot rice dish with spices and letting my husband prepare their meal so will be glad not to have to do much.
I remember last year seeing massive groups of geese migrating presumably. The noise they make is incredible and it’s a sight to behold. Nature is amazing.Enjoying the audio version of The Half Bird, a nice relaxing listen. I have particularly enjoyed hearing about her family, she has had a lot of sadness to overcome.
Money SPENDING Expert3 -
Morning @bluenose1, we are already using the chutney and it is delicious.
Our breakfasts generally consist of overnight oats. We use organic porridge oats from Ald! (currently £2.25 for 1kg), chia seeds (not organic) from Gr@pe Tree (currently £5.99 for 1kg), and L!nw00ds cold milled flaxseed, almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts & CoQ10 also from Gr@pe Tree (currently £4.19 for 360g (buy 3 get 1 free)). We then add cinnamon, or cocoa (organic) depending upon the flavour combinations. We mix with Alpr0 No Sug@rs Soya milk and often get a good reduction on this via my personal Nect@r offers. We then add fresh or frozen fruits, and a dollop of Greek yogurt bought from wherever it is the cheapest. Sounds a lot of faff, but takes less than 5 minutes to make. Since taking the decision to make healthier choices in both our diet and lifestyle, our cholesterol and blood pressure levels have reduced significantly, so in our view it is worth the effort. As always, this is a personal choice and I understand that others may have a different opinion, or indeed may not have a choice.
Pleased that you are enjoying listening to the The Half Bird.
Today's simple pleasure - reading today's instalment from a book that I was given as a gift, Every Day Nature by Andy Beer. This book is meant as an inspiration to help you find and enjoy nature wherever you may live. It is not about the kind of nature that is restricted to nature reserves or remote places. Instead it is deliberately about things that you will find in a garden, a park, a hedgerow or a road verge. A gentle, informative book with stunning illustrations.
4 -
Glad you are enjoying your chutney @Humboldt. I have only just got about to starting my chutney today. I am either a lazy madam or as I prefer to say it’s a very busy life being retired. I’ve ended up with 4.5lb of green tomatoes as my husband’s golfing buddy kindly provided more so going to make a couple more jars.
We have overnight oats most day as well, has been with fresh fruit but now starting to use frozen berries more.I normally include any fruit we have in, add a tsp of flax, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, toasted coconut over yoghurt and a drizzle of maple syrup. I always think they look lovely and as you say minutes to prepare. Need to try soya milk, we only ever use whole milk.
Your Andy Beer book sounds lovely and relaxing. I have several books on go, depending on my mood. Still listening and enjoying The Half Bird, amazing the lives some people have.
Been for a long walk in woods today and my friend is coming around this afternoon with her two rescue dogs so my dog will love the company.
Going to experiment with my new spray mop tomorrow, I have heard great things so have high hopes. I have been following a Zone cleaning plan so feel like actually making inroads. It’s amazing what you can do in the 15 minutes you have for each zone.Money SPENDING Expert2 -
Morning @bluenose1, your overnight oats look so colourful and delicious. If it is of any interest, Alpr0 N0 Sug@rs S0ya is currently on offer in S@insbury's. We enjoy sunflower/pumpkin seeds and walnuts with our porridge, all of which I buy at L!dl.
Today's simple pleasure - a sunny bright start to the day - washer on!
1 -
Hello and welcome.
Quote of the week.
In awe, I watched the waxing moon ride across the zenith of the heavens like an ambered chariot towards the ebony void of infinite space wherein the tethered belts of Jupiter and Mars hang, for ever festooned in their orbital majesty. And as I looked at this, I thought … I must put a roof on this toilet – Les Dawson.
Money saving.
Our monthly grocery budget for me and my DH is £300. Week 3 spend for September was £45.24. Total spend to date for September is £177.67.
I bought a pack of 20 mixed pansies from Ald! for £2.99. I will use them to refresh the pots in the back garden.
Took advantage of 25% off La R0che-Pos@y SPF50 sun lotion in Bo0ts. Recycled 5 empty toiletry containers at B0ots, spent over £10 and gained £5 worth of Adv@ntage points.
Freebies.
The 5 rosemary cuttings kindly gifted to me by a friend, have rooted and been planted in pots. They all look healthy, so fingers crossed I can use them to replace our woody rosemary. I was also gifted homegrown apples from the same friend. Several batches of apple sauce made and frozen.
DH and I foraged brambles (blackberries) from hedgerows when on our walk. Some will be made into a crumble and the remainder frozen to enjoy later.
This week’s main menu - includes several meal swaps from last week (I will edit last weeks menu accordingly).
Monday – Pea, feta & mint tart (S@insbury’s recipe), hasselback roasted new potatoes and salad. This is a meal swap from last week. To fully utilise the oven, I will roast the vegetables for tomorrow’s meal, and bake a homemade apple & bramble crumble. The tart requires double cream, the remainder of which will be enjoyed with the crumble. The remaining feta will be used in tomorrow’s meal.
Tuesday – Roasted vegetables, with whole-wheat couscous, feta, smoked hummus, toasted almonds, and fresh coriander. I will reheat the roasted vegetables in the microwave. Another meal swap from last week.
Wednesday – Creamy mushroom and tuna spaghetti (from one of my recipe scrap books). Yet another meal swap from last week. This recipe will use up crème fraiche leftover from making the tart on Monday.
Thursday – Courgette beef lasagne, served with a large dressed salad. I will use a small pack of beef mince and add a tin of green lentils to not only reduce costs, but to increase the nutritional content. I will replace the pasta with homegrown courgettes. Slice the courgettes very thinly length ways, lightly salt them, and let sit for 15 minutes on either kitchen roll or in a colander. The salt helps pull out the excess moisture. Pat them dry before using them.
Friday – Ping meal (as above) – cook once, eat twice – saves on time and energy costs.
Saturday – Roast pork/crackling, homemade apple sauce, Yorkshire puds, roasted carrots, lightly steamed greens, green beans, and gravy. Pork joint was bought when on offer and frozen until required. Carrots are homegrown.
Sunday – Ping meal (as above).
Healthier lifestyle.
Last week’s step count was 35,342. Apparently, meal prep, baking, prepping seasonal produce, together will the clearing, washing up, etc does not generate many steps. Not to worry, the bonus is that the freezer is now well stocked.
Completed 5 free meditations.
Completed 0 free online workouts.
Simple pleasures.
A cuppa and a slice of homemade zesty courgette & lemon drizzle cake (G00d H0usekeeping recipe). Still using up homegrown courgettes! The remainder of the cake has been sliced and frozen until required.
I rescued a bunch of purple stocks & orange roses, reduced to half price. Apparently, flowers instantly trigger the release of feel-good brain chemicals providing a proven, natural boost to your emotional wellbeing.
I have transplanted my rainbow chard plants into one the vegetable boxes.
The new series of All Creatures Great and Small Channel 4.
Books read 22/26 – The Book Share – Phaedra Patrick (a library book).
Liv Green loves losing herself in a good book. But her everyday reality is less romantic, cleaning houses for people who barely give her the time of day. So, when she lands a job housekeeping for her personal hero and mega-bestselling author Essie Starling, she can’t believe her luck. Brimming with joy and packed with a sparkling cast of characters, The Book Share is a moving reminder that it’s never too late to rewrite your own story. A light, fun read.
Thank you for dropping by and taking the time to read my diary.
4 -
Hi @Humboldt Thanks, will try the Alpro Soya milk.
Loved your motivational quote. Les Dawson was a very clever, funny man.
Forgotten until you said but will watch All Creatures Great And Small, used to love it years ago. Have been enjoying the documentary 70 Up, felt very nostalgic watching it and sad in parts. It’s so interesting watching how they have all developed since age of 7.I actually got around to making my chutney on Monday, ended up with 5lb of green tomatoes so had enough for 11 jars of chutney. I will give a couple of jars as presents and the rest will hopefully do us until I make it again next year. Hate making it but love sense of achievement when done. I came across a pot of chillles next to the greenhouse I had forgotten we had planted so used then in my recipe. Have loads to put in freezer as well.
We have Begonias in pots all around the garden and I can’t believe how long they have flowered for, plus like they are so low maintenance as don’t need deadheading etc. Don’t think I’ll bother with my normal geraniums next year..
Money SPENDING Expert2 -
Morning @bluenose1, I do miss the old style comedians and their gentle humour. I'm sure that the recipients of your homemade chutney will be very appreciative. Begonias do appear to have thrived this year, unlike my chillies. Those chillies that finally germinated, are only just developing flowers and will be moved from the summerhouse onto the kitchen windowsill any day now.
Today's simple pleasure - the last of the sunflowers standing tall in the garden border.
1 -
Hello and welcome.
Motivational quote of the week.
Be the reason someone believes in the goodness of people – Karen Salmansohn.
Money saving.
Our monthly grocery budget for me and my DH is £300. Week 4 spend for September was £60.31. Total spend to date for September to date is £237.98.
Took advantage of a 25% off offer in my Sp@rks app and bought a pair of jeans. Purchased a tin of Very Merry Mvnch using £6 that was in my Sp@rks wallet to reduce the cost to £4 (a Christmas gift).
Freebies.
Took advantage of the free fringe cut that my hairdresser offers between appointments.
A ‘free’ mini jammie dodger biscuit served alongside my coffee in a local café.
This week’s main menu.
Monday – Spicy chicken, sweet potato wedges and BBQ baked beans. Spices bought when on holiday. M+S 3 x chicken legs are around £1.50. We only use 2 from each pack and freeze the other, so today I am using a couple of those. I just add a dollop of BBQ sauce to a tin of baked beans. To fully utilise the oven, I will cook the ratatouille for tomorrow’s meal, and a couple of baking potatoes for tomorrow’s lunch.
Tuesday – Basil and pine nut ravioli, topped with homemade ratatouille, and grated Italian cheese. Ratatouille will include aubergine, homegrown garlic, basil, courgettes & tomatoes. I will top the cooked ravioli, with ratatouille that has been reheated in the microwave and then add the grated cheese with a sprinkling of fresh basil. S@insbury’s taste the difference ravioli is currently on offer, £2.60 Nect@r Price.
Wednesday – Moroccan fish parcels (from one of my recipe scrap books). Hake was reduced in price and frozen until required. I will use homegrown carrot, courgette and garlic.
Thursday – Chachouka, also known as shakshuka (R!ver C0ttage Veg recipe). Eggs were reduced in price. To fully utilise the oven, I will also cook a sourdough.
Friday – Slow cooker lentil soup (BB( F00d recipe), with homemade wholewheat seeded sourdough bread. I will omit the baby potatoes and add more carrots and probably a dash of chipotle sauce.
Saturday – Homemade wild garlic pesto and goats cheese pizza. Pesto is homemade and from the freezer. To fully utilise the oven, I will cook some chocolate and raspberry muffins (from one of my recipe scrap books) when the temperature has reduced after cooking the pizzas. Raspberries were reduced in price and frozen until required.
Sunday – Mushroom risotto (G00d F0od recipe). I buy dried porcini at a reasonable price during Italian week at L!dl. Fresh chestnut mushrooms are now in season and are generally under £1 a punnet.
Healthier lifestyle.
Last week’s step count was 36,582.
Completed 0 free online workouts.
Completed 6 free online meditations.
Simple pleasures.
The free mini jammie dodger which was served alongside my coffee in a local café. It did make me smile and brought back memories of spending pocket money on the larger version at the school tuck shop when at primary school.
So many rainbows this week.
The snowball turnip seeds that I recently planted have germinated.
DH and I enjoyed a day out at a local nature reserve. A picnic and nature - perfect.
Enjoyed a cuppa whilst scanning the free M+S Christmas food magazine. The food to order provides me with inspiration for homemade alternatives. Most years, I purchase a few items from their range of edible stocking fillers, and this year I have added hot chocolate bombes (£2.25), gingerbread latte whips (£1.25), peppermint and chocolate water rolls (£2.50) and mini shortbread trees (£1.50) to my shopping list. Christmas gift spends predominantly come from our Christmas/Birthday account (money accumulated via sales from V!nted and We Buy Any B00ks).
Thank you for dropping by and reading my diary.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
