We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Away From The Madding Crowd
Comments
-
@Humboldt, your weekly diary is making me so excited about retiring on 28 October! So many possibilities for a rich and fulfilling next chapter on a balanced budget, spending on what’s important. Thank you.
4 -
Lovely update @Humboldt. Am in awe at how organised you are.
Need to reduce our food bill, though not easy at moment as we eat a lot of berries and other fruits and they are so expensive. I am loving the M&S glass jars of chickpeas and beans, though won’t make mistake of buying over a dozen jars then having 10 minute walk back to car. Really heavy to carry, was convinced my shopping bag was going to burst and smash all over road!!!
I make a lovely green chutney recipe every year, so am rather disappointed that so many of ours are red. It was a recipe passed down from my MIL so makes me very nostalgic making it. Especially nice to have with cheese over the Christmas.I signed up to a 30 day free trial Meditation app called The Way where you can choose daily meditations between 10 and 30 minutes. I like it cos a new meditation is there daily as you follow the journey. At the end of the 30 days they don’t even automatically take the money just email to see if you are interested. I have now paid as really like the hosts voice / style and am meditating much more frequently. You can even apply for a Sponsorship to reduce cost if too expensive.
Love Race Across The World, only started watching it a few months ago for first time. Really enjoying Ludwig on iplayer at moment. Like anything not depressing or scary. Although very rude also absolutely loved Rivals with David `Tennant.
Money SPENDING Expert3 -
Happy Friday @KintsugiWhippet. The decision to retire brings with it lots of mixed emotions and excitement is one of the best ones. I am so pleased for you. My DH retires on 31 October!
2 -
Morning @bluenose1 thank goodness you made it to the car without incident!
We have also been enjoying the abundance of seasonal berries whilst at their best and a reasonable price. However, as the season changes, we will be buying reduced and/or frozen in order to work within our budget. As always, this is our personal choice, so no judgement here, we all deserve to spend our hard earned pennies as we choose. Working within a budget takes more effort these days, as my 69p credit last month testifies! Thankfully our grocery budget is self-imposed, and I am aware that should I over spend we are able to manage this. When we had a young family, I remember the pressure of having to stretch our finances with no backup. These days spending our money with intention enables us to avoid waste, have enough to meet the needs of our lifestyle, whilst also having enough to spend on things that bring us joy.
I hope that you don't mind me asking, but would you be happy to share your MIL's green tomato chutney recipe? I fear that I will have still lots of green tomatoes despite my best efforts to encourage them to ripen.
Thank you for sharing the link to The Way. It really helps when you can find something that works for you as an individual.
We are hoping that there will be a new series of the original Race Across the World (we have taken the decision not to bother with the celebrity version). DH and I have just finished watching the latest BBC series (6) of A House Through Time (set in Edinburgh). I love social history and really enjoy these programmes.
Wishing you a great weekend.
Today's simple pleasure - picking another bunch of homegrown sweet peas from the garden.
3 -
Wow … You STILL have sweetpeas?? 😮 I am in awe. 😊 Mine burnt out months ago!
Agree with the crocosmia comments in a tall vase 💖
Interesting to hear about jarred beans being available more widely now. I do prefer them to tinned but find the jars of the named brand very difficult to get the beans out of, due to those jars being relatively tall and thin. I shall have a look when I am next out somewhere.
Loved the gardening quote, thank you 😊
KK
As at 26.09.26:
- When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 - now £210,560
- OPs to mortgage = £20,180 Estd. interest saved = £10,393 to date
c. 17 months reduction in term
Fixed rate 3.85% ends October 2030
Read 69 books of target 52 in 2026 as @ 26th September.
Produce tracker: £329 of £400 in 2026
Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
Watch your words, they become your actions.Watch your actions, they become your reality.3 -
Morning @KajiKita my sweet peas were planted very late this year, but for some reason it has worked to my advantage. I would say that they have been the best that I have ever grown and that they are this years gardening success. Unfortunately planting my tomato plants later has not had the same results. That said, I appear to be now conducting a highly scientific experiment on different methods of ripening tomatoes ….on the windowsill, in a box with a ripe banana, and wrapped individually in tissue, stalk upright and stored in a dark, cool place. Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.
3 -
Interesting … 🤔 I have seen people saying planting early helps as it gives things time to get their toes down before the hot weather comes and you are suggesting plant sweet peas late. Looks like all the timings of sowing and growing are shifting around.
Can’t help with tomato ripening. I just leave them on the plant until eventually they turn.
KKAs at 26.09.26:
- When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 - now £210,560
- OPs to mortgage = £20,180 Estd. interest saved = £10,393 to date
c. 17 months reduction in term
Fixed rate 3.85% ends October 2030
Read 69 books of target 52 in 2026 as @ 26th September.
Produce tracker: £329 of £400 in 2026
Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
Watch your words, they become your actions.Watch your actions, they become your reality.2 -
I'd have suggested the ripe banana trick but you already have that one in trial!
2 -
I put my green tomatoes in a brown paper bag in a drawer, sometimes with a banana. I've occasionally eeked them out to Christmas if they're large enough, but most of them will be going in chutney for Christmas gifts this year. Have 2 hours free electric on Sunday, so doing a massive cook up :)
4
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
