Away From The Madding Crowd

Options

Hello and welcome to my little part of this wonderful MSE community.  For almost 10 years I have read the contents of various forums seeking advice and inspiration regarding a multitude of subjects.  The help and knowledge that I have gained cannot be underestimated and there are literally too many people to thank individually. Despite being an avid reader of numerous threads, I have never actually contributed, until now.

So, why now? At the age of 60 years old, I find myself mortgage free, debt free and semi-retired. I feel very fortunate to be in this position, but it was not easily achieved.  Since making the difficult decision to leave full-time employment due to work-related stress, I have attempted to manage the negative impact this situation had on my health and our finances.   However, I am slowly realising that this new chapter in my life is not only an opportunity to heal, but to also thrive.  I hope that a diary will keep me motivated and may even help others in some small way.

I have chosen the ‘Over 50’s MoneySaving’ thread for my diary because I think it best fits my criteria.  I am over 50 and intend to share how I make the best of our finances whilst also enjoying life.  

In terms of money, my DH still works full-time. I work part-time, receive a small work pension and monies from my side hustle (crafting). I do not intend to share detailed information regarding our finances; however, I will include tips on how we keep within our own budget and how we make the most of it.  Suffice to say that some have more than us and others have less.  We have enough for our needs.

So, deep breath. Here we go.

Comments

• Baron_Dale
    Baron_Dale Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 30 January at 1:44PM
    Options
    Hello @Humboldt. Welcome to the Over50s section of the MSE Forums. Looking forward to reading more. Have you checked your state pension forecast?
    Feel free to read through my thread and the 'How Much To Live On' thread also in this section. The links are in my signature. 
    Looking forward to reading more.
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ahhh this was lovely to read thank you 🙏🏻 
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Simple pleasures are the great ones!

I was thrilled a couple of weeks ago when I saw a wren in my garden, especially as this is a teeny terraced house garden with cats everywhere!

Last weekend I spotted that my bergenia (Elephants ears) had wonderful pink flowers hidden under those big leaves.

I shall enjoy reading your thread.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Humboldt
    Humboldt Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

@KatieHound welcome and thank you for sharing your simple pleasures.

How magical to spot a wren in your garden.  Such a tiny bird which according to Goo*le weighs only 10-12g. I am sure that the splash of colour provided by your Elephants Ear flowers is so welcome at this time of year.  I am currently enjoying my flowering Primulas in the garden, all of which were originally bought to enjoy indoors and then planted outside after flowering.

Today’s Simple Pleasure - A glorious sunrise that glowed red, orange and pink.

• Scott_Chegg_
    Scott_Chegg_ Posts: 15 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    your posts really resonate with me @Humboldt. especially the simple pleasure. I have subscribed to your thread and look forward to the updates
  • Katiehound
    Options
    Today's pleasure is sunshine! Lots of clouds but you can see blue sky... and the days getting longer. Wonderful & uplifting.

I have spotted 2 snowdrops in the garden & shoots developing on different shrubs
    Many thanks
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Humboldt
    Humboldt Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

@Scott_Chegg_  welcome and thank you for your kind words. 

@Katiehound you came back! There is a shift in the season for sure and it is a joy to observe.

Today’s Simple Pleasure – recalling last night’s clear skies that provided an inky blue backdrop for a myriad of twinkling stars 

• Katiehound
    edited 4 February at 2:11PM
    Options
    yes I came back!
    Sometimes I forget which threads are which....or which ones I have contributed to..... (or how I should be doing something other than typing on the computer!!!)
    I'll be back
    Many thanks

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback