Do you have a Kia Picanto- a very dangerous feature you need to be ware of that is not in the manual

Comments

• facade
    facade Posts: 7,006 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 January at 1:53PM
    sheramber said:

Hill start Assist Control is a comfort function. The main intend is to prevent the vehicle from rolling backwards while driving off uphill on an inclined surface. HAC holds the braking pressure built-up by driver during stopping procedure for 2 seconds after releasing brake pedal.

During the pressure-hold period, the driver has enough time to press the accelerator pedal to drive off.

The braking pressure is reduced as soon as the system detects the driver’s intention to drive off.

WARNING

The HAC is usually activated only for 2 seconds. The driver should be careful from the rolling backward causing the accident with behind objects or human, when the driver may feel the unintended rolling backward while driving off on hill due to insufficient brake hold pressure built-up by driver during stopping procedure.

Nothing much changed since 1950 then, except I think my late father's Rover P5 would hold the brakes as long as you wanted.

Actually, I think "hill assist" (or "anti-creep" as we used to call it in The Olden Days) dates back to before WW2
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 27 January at 1:52PM
    So, basically, you mucked up a hill start so badly that you'd have failed a driving test - but it's the car's fault?
    I think this type of error would have not only have meant the OP failed, but the examiner would have had you driving back to the test centre immediately.
  • Alanp
    Alanp Posts: 682 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I think I must be missing something, as I read it the op parked on a hill, then expected the hill assist to hold the car, afaik, hill assist gives you a few seconds to release the brake pedal before you press the accelerator most commonly used, on a hill ,in, say a traffic queue at traffic lights for example, if you are stationary longer, then the handbrake should be used, ( or p in an auto) not sure where the op said they were taking a driving test/lesson..
  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Nobody said they were taking a test.

Merely that, if they had been, their standard of driving was such that they would have failed.

We can all agree that that's a fairly good benchmark for a minimum acceptable standard?
  • WellKnownSid
    WellKnownSid Posts: 1,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Reminds me of that famous Air Force tech log entry…

Pilot: Enabling Auto-Land on approach results in very hard landing

Technician: Auto-Land not fitted to this aircraft 
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,006 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Alanp said:
    I think I must be missing something, as I read it the op parked on a hill, then expected the hill assist to hold the car, afaik, hill assist gives you a few seconds to release the brake pedal before you press the accelerator most commonly used, on a hill ,in, say a traffic queue at traffic lights for example, if you are stationary longer, then the handbrake should be used, ( or p in an auto) not sure where the op said they were taking a driving test/lesson..

The OP was warning us that the "hill start assist" doesn't do what the name suggests- i.e. hold the car from rolling back down a hill under all circumstances when you want to start off, which is the danger of allowing the publicity department to write about a car's features.

A valid point I suggest, as most people just drive the things rather than understand how they work, and if told it has "hill start assist" they expect it to have hill start assist all the time by magic.

Whereas it is actually "you can take your foot off the brake and it will keep the brakes applied for a bit while you sort the accelerator out" (far less appealing a title :) ):smile: 

It works how I thought, you stamp the brake pedal into the floor with the car stationary to set the system, and the back brakes stay on while you move your foot to the accelerator.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Sounds like it works as designed for this car, however the highlighting is valid to a degree as many other makes do hold it for as long as is required to sense forward motion.

A driver should be ready for other eventualities though and pressing the brake to halt any backward movement.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,268 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    facade said:

The OP was warning us that the "hill start assist" doesn't do what the name suggests- i.e. hold the car from rolling back down a hill under all circumstances when you want to start off, which is the danger of allowing the publicity department to write about a car's features.

A valid point I suggest, as most people just drive the things rather than understand how they work, and if told it has "hill start assist" they expect it to have hill start assist all the time by magic.

Another case of failure to read the handbook, as it is very clear in that exactly how it works.

Perhaps before driving off in a new car, there should be a test that owners have read the handbook & understand features.
    Life in the slow lane
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    photome said:
    Oh dear!

Driver blames car for accident
    It's the world we now live in; personal responsibility is so last century!! 
  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Sjm0803 said:
    I have recently had an accident in my Picanto. I had parked on a hill and assumed that my Hill Assist Function would work. It didn't and I rolled backwards damaging my car. I took it to a Kia Garage, who then explained that Hill Assist DOES NOT work, if you try to use it from standing. It only works once the car has moved forward. I was lucky that I only damaged the car - imagine if you rolled back into a child!
    PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO MAKE SURE THAT OTHER PEOPLE ARE AWARE OF THIS VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION.
    looks like it's RTFM  time for you  

I'm really not a fan of stuff like  Hill assist and lane assist   ( collission prep brilliant, adaptive  cruise   again brilliant) 

but i suppose   some would call me a luddite for  preferring a manual gear box and a  Physical  hand brake 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback