Mum wants to gift her house to me

Mum is on her own, she has been talking to friends and has said that wants to transfer her house to me so that it wont be used to pay for her if has to go into a care home. She is well enough at the moment but her close friend has got very poorly and needs to be take into full time care. I have tried to google it but i dont even know if its a thing people do, what is involved. She says she is going to make an appointment with a solicitor. I own my own house with my husband. Our mortgage is paid off. 
Thank you

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,807
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    She just can't just transfer her house to you in order to avoid care fees.

Google Deprivation of Assetts, that explains why. 

make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • njkmr
    njkmr Posts: 94
    First Post
    Forumite
    But there are ways around it.
    We did it with my mothers house.
    It used to be so many years elapsing before it became safely transferred (7 or 11 years i think ) but im not sure of the exact details now.
    Others may advise.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,128
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    It would be extreamly foolish for her to do this. For starters this would be deliberate deprivation of assets (Google it). Secondly even if the LA did not apply that she would be at risk of not getting care until she was sufficiently decrepit to have funding approved and could end up in over my dead body grange instead of a care home of her choosing.

If she did this she risks her long time security in the event that you die before she dies, you run into financial difficulty or get divorced. 

From your point of view you would face an unnecessary CGT liability when the house was eventually sold and if you don’t currently own a house you will loose your first time buyers status and will pay additional SDLT when you do buy a home.

You really should discourage her from doing this.
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,380
    Forumite
    njkmr said:
    But there are ways around it.
    We did it with my mothers house.
    It used to be so many years elapsing before it became safely transferred (7 or 11 years i think ) but im not sure of the exact details now.
    Others may advise.
    Yes i think she mentioned something like 7 years which is why she wants to do it now while she is still well enough
  • If you ever need to claim benefits I think this could be an issue for you as you’ll be treated as having capital.
  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,562
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There are so many reasons why this is not a good idea. For inheritance tax purposes if your mother keeps living there it will still be subject to inheritance tax (although of course that is subject to the overall estate size). As you won't be living there any increase in value will be subject to capital gains tax and there is no specific time limit to how far the council can look back in terms of assessing deprivation of assets.

Ignoring that do you really want you mother living in whatever care home the council will fund when she could use the house to pay for a care home she likes. 
  • paul2louise
    Forumite
    It would be extreamly foolish for her to do this. For starters this would be deliberate deprivation of assets (Google it). Secondly even if the LA did not apply that she would be at risk of not getting care until she was sufficiently decrepit to have funding approved and could end up in over my dead body grange instead of a care home of her choosing.

If she did this she risks her long time security in the event that you die before she dies, you run into financial difficulty or get divorced. 

From your point of view you would face an unnecessary CGT liability when the house was eventually sold and if you don’t currently own a house you will loose your first time buyers status and will pay additional SDLT when you do buy a home.

You really should discourage her from doing this.
    ok but i am not sure why her friends have told her that is what they have done. She is fit and well at the moment so wouldnt need care at any point just yet. 
  • paul2louise
    Forumite
    If you ever need to claim benefits I think this could be an issue for you as you’ll be treated as having capital.
    my husband earns too much for me to claim benefits
  • If you ever need to claim benefits I think this could be an issue for you as you’ll be treated as having capital.
    my husband earns too much for me to claim benefits
    You can’t say you will never need to claim benefits - he could lose his job. Personally I think it’s too risky even without the other problems.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback