Delivery to postcide not street address

13»

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ajc269 said:
    I put my correct details in the order but when clicking to pay by Paypal, most websites overwrite those details with the ones from Paypal. Unfortunately, the supplier was a bit too efficient and had already despatched the goods by the time I received the order confirmation.

I have had this problem with three different suppliers and it took a bit of investigation to tie it down to Paypal.

My house is certainly not new build - it has been here since 1970.

The supplier has been on to DPD and they have confirmed that they consider their obligation is simply to deliver to building number and postcode. All other address details are irrelevant. DPD have said they will only try to retrieve the goods if I pay them to do it.

The conversation I had with Paypal when I eventually got through to a human was very strange. I had tried to find the error by checking all the addresses in my account and couldn't find the problem. I was told it was because I hadn't verified my address and that was the reason. I was e-mailed a code to which I then responded  and was told that everything was now fixed. When I queried how the payment had been authorised if the address was wrong, I didn't get an answer.
    As they have your payment details.

To which is your PP account set to bank account DD or card details?
    Life in the slow lane
  • ajc269
    ajc269 Posts: 5 Newbie
    First Post
    I have three different credit cards on my Paypal account for different purposes. All the address details I could find were correct so how the incorrect postcode ended up as delivery address is a complete mystery and not one that Paypal are prepared to assist with.
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    There are two issues here. Firstly the op's address is incorrect on paypal, which is their preferred payment method. Has this only happened recently, or has their paypal address always been wrong? For some reason op has never tried to correct the address before. Either paypal have the wrong address or the right address but wrong postcode (possibly the address was entered manually as the "postcide" entered didn't give the correct street?
    Secondly the op is ordering off businesses and registering their correct address but because they are paying with paypal it is paypal who supply the delivery and invoice addresses. Op seems surprised that the businesses aren't querying this and are sending goods to a different postcode to the one they have used to create their customer account. Again the difference could be the "1" missing from the postcode.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,004 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Since machines are used to sort deliveries I doubt they can read full names and addresses.

Royal Mail have previously said all that is needed for delivery in house name/number and postcode.

The postie gets a bundles of post sorted into postcodes and delivers to the house/ name  number given.

I expect delivery companies use a similar system.

Nobody is taling the time needed to read full addresses.
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    No, most delivery companies require more than just full address.

Postcodes might be OK for the postie who walks his patch and pushes mail through the letterbox. However carriers ask for additional information such as narrow access roads, whether delivery is above ground floor, etc. and also for specific instructions such as safe place to leave delivery.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,004 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Alderbank said:
    No, most delivery companies require more than just full address.

Postcodes might be OK for the postie who walks his patch and pushes mail through the letterbox. However carriers ask for additional information such as narrow access roads, whether delivery is above ground floor, etc. and also for specific instructions such as safe place to leave delivery.
    That doesn't mean the sorting people read the whole address.

Thes extra details will be  for the dleivery person , who will read them  after the items have been sorted. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback