Delivery to postcide not street address

Comments

• Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I've just logged on to my PayPal account to investigate.

It's extremely easy to see and edit your address. You can even have more than one address stored and choose between them for each transaction like Amazon does.

I can perhaps understand that the first package might have gone astray, but why all the others afterwards? Did you not check and correct your address on PayPal?
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,196 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    eskbanker said:
    eskbanker said:
    TELLIT01 said:
    Surely the obvious answer is to get Paypal to correct the postcode.  There's no way a delivery company can know that the postcode is wrong.
    But if the street address and postcode are incompatible (i.e. one of them must be wrong) then that could/should flag an issue to the delivery company....
    If you think of how many things are delivered (not Royal Mail)
    Driver puts postcode and number in sat nav. Sat nav leads driver to address. Driver delivers package to the number
    Driver might not even know what place or street they are in, as solely relies on sat nav.
    Of course, but the point was about checking the validity of the destination address, that could or should be done by the delivery company on accepting the consignment, not specifically how the driver chooses to get directions to it.
    All you need is a postcode and number/ house name.
    The postcode will generate what route it will be on, there won't be an inbuilt system to check label as it should be unneeded for delivery.
    If someone puts incorrect postcode (for whatever reason)  then that's their responsibility.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    eskbanker said:
    eskbanker said:
    TELLIT01 said:
    Surely the obvious answer is to get Paypal to correct the postcode.  There's no way a delivery company can know that the postcode is wrong.
    But if the street address and postcode are incompatible (i.e. one of them must be wrong) then that could/should flag an issue to the delivery company....
    If you think of how many things are delivered (not Royal Mail)
    Driver puts postcode and number in sat nav. Sat nav leads driver to address. Driver delivers package to the number
    Driver might not even know what place or street they are in, as solely relies on sat nav.
    Of course, but the point was about checking the validity of the destination address, that could or should be done by the delivery company on accepting the consignment, not specifically how the driver chooses to get directions to it.
    All you need is a postcode and number/ house name.
    The postcode will generate what route it will be on, there won't be an inbuilt system to check label as it should be unneeded for delivery.
    If someone puts incorrect postcode (for whatever reason)  then that's their responsibility.
    Yes, agreed, not disputing that the combination of postcode and premises number/name uniquely identifies a property, but the comment being challenged was "There's no way a delivery company can know that the postcode is wrong" so I was simply pointing out that inconsistencies within the supplied address fields can highlight this, especially if the resultant postcode&number combination doesn't exist!
  • Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    When booking manual consignments on most couriers (DPD, Fedex, UPS, DHL, UKmail, Royal Mail click and drop, APC, EVri just to name the ones I have used in last three years at work) you enter the postcode and then get a drop down of applicable house numbers or names, sometimes with the street name and sometimes without. It then shows the full address and you should check it matches the full address.

When doing a number of them in a row, it is easy to skip over the street/village and miss that it doesn’t match.

The delivery company then don’t know anything about it being wrong as they only see their label and not the original booking.

• RefluentBeans
    RefluentBeans Posts: 895 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    eskbanker said:
    Are you able to see and correct the wrong postcode within PayPal, or does it look right in the customer portal and is overridden later on in the process?  What have PayPal said about it?
    This is the crux of the issue - if the address is wrong on PayPal and was sent to the company wrong then I think there’s a far harder issue to resolve. If the company unilaterally changed the address (ie took out the 1 because they mistyped it) then that is their mistake entirely and they should cover the replacement. 

I can feel there will be an argument about the customer getting the package and the risk not transferring until it gets to the customer (or a designated party) but I feel the customer not providing accurate details (if the OP mistyped their own postcode at any point) can really challenge that. But until we get clarification on where the mistake was made in the order process it’s arguing over semantics. 
  • ajc269
    ajc269 Posts: 5 Newbie
    First Post
    My address on the Paypal account was correct. I couldn't find any other address in the Paypal website. When I eventually managed to speak to a human being at Paypal - not easy to achieve, I was told the problem was due to my address not being verified (whatever that means) and it will now be OK. I asked how if the address was incorrect the payment went through OK but didn't get an answer.

The address label on the package had my exact address apart from the '1' missing from the postcode.
  • rbn
    rbn Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you click on the transactions in your PayPal account or look at the payment receipt emails from PayPal do they have they correct address on them?

Were all these packages from same retailer or were they from multiple retailers?

• Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    this isn’t a new build is it, it can take up to six months for new addresses to roll through the databases of the various carriers for various reasons.
  • RefluentBeans
    RefluentBeans Posts: 895 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    ajc269 said:
    My address on the Paypal account was correct. I couldn't find any other address in the Paypal website. When I eventually managed to speak to a human being at Paypal - not easy to achieve, I was told the problem was due to my address not being verified (whatever that means) and it will now be OK. I asked how if the address was incorrect the payment went through OK but didn't get an answer.

The address label on the package had my exact address apart from the '1' missing from the postcode.
    What I’m asking is if the order that the retailer received had the correct address. Take away PayPal here. When you order something from a retailer online they normally send you an email confirmation that usually contains the address it’s being delivered to - what address is on that order? 

If the address on the order is wrong then it makes it much harder to claim the retailer is in the wrong. If the address is correct and they mistyped it - then like I said before, far easier to get a refund/replacement. 

Focussing on what data is on PayPal is not the important bit here - it’s what the retailer actually got given that is important. 
  • ajc269
    ajc269 Posts: 5 Newbie
    First Post
    I put my correct details in the order but when clicking to pay by Paypal, most websites overwrite those details with the ones from Paypal. Unfortunately, the supplier was a bit too efficient and had already despatched the goods by the time I received the order confirmation.

I have had this problem with three different suppliers and it took a bit of investigation to tie it down to Paypal.

My house is certainly not new build - it has been here since 1970.

The supplier has been on to DPD and they have confirmed that they consider their obligation is simply to deliver to building number and postcode. All other address details are irrelevant. DPD have said they will only try to retrieve the goods if I pay them to do it.

The conversation I had with Paypal when I eventually got through to a human was very strange. I had tried to find the error by checking all the addresses in my account and couldn't find the problem. I was told it was because I hadn't verified my address and that was the reason. I was e-mailed a code to which I then responded  and was told that everything was now fixed. When I queried how the payment had been authorised if the address was wrong, I didn't get an answer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback