We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Car Insurance - Hastings Direct - Proof of purchase mistake?

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, but wanted to join to share what's happened to my wife and I with our latest car insurance with Hastings Direct.

I've had a look on the forum and cannot find the exact same issue.

I'll try and keep it short and hopefully give you some advice or get some advice from you.

My wife and I purchased a car in March 2014. We have a joint bank account, had a joint bank loan and bought the car together.

In December 2017 we changed the registered keeper on the V5 log book into her name as she was now the main driver of the car as the insurers require this. The V5 log says in bold "this is not proof of ownership" and it is only when she acquired the car.

Roll on November 2024 and I get our insurance through Hastings Direct. Mid December they ask us to send a copy of the V5 document. We did it within their time scale just after Christmas.

10th Jan we get an email saying we are charging you £1.50 ish extra in car premiums and charging you a £30 admin fee to change your proof of purchase to December 2017 on the insurance?

I was not very happy with this and researched online to see if I've made a mistake (I've been putting 2014 for 7 years). I checked and we have joint proof of purchase and it was in March 2014.

I ask them to change it back as we bought it together (husband and wife) in 2014

They are refusing to change it saying the V5 says December 2017 and if you have proof of insurance in your wife's name in March 2014 we will change it back.

I couldn't believe it, and told them the insurance date doesn't show when you purchased the car and the V5 only shows the register keeper.

They have recently taken the extra money out of our bank saying they can under continuous payment authority, but we paid for it all in upfront. 

Regarding the insurance my wife was named driver but it's was nearly 10 years ago and I don't think I have the insurance paperwork. They have not asked for a bank statement, invoice or receipt for proof of purchase from us. Is that not what there for?

Insurance as proof of purchase? If that was the case I would of went over to the Dealer in 2014, Insured a car in the forecourt in my name and demanded the keys as I had proof of purchase.

I have made a formal complaint to Hastings direct to started proceedings with the financial ombudsman for motor insurance to get it sorted. You have to do this and get a response before you can get them involved.

I've read about family members on here and the car getting passed through the family, but we made a joint purchase for the car and can prove it.

Do you think they've done it because of everyone putting fake purchase dates to dramatically lower their premiums? Are they tricking customers into this to get a 100% profit margin from admin fees?

What do you think about it? Do you think I've missed something or misinterpreted something?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• AuditSund
    AuditSund Posts: 16 Forumite
    10 Posts
    Sorry I ment to put roll on November 2023
  • AuditSund
    10 Posts
    AuditSund said:
    Roll on November 2024
    It should be November 2023
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 13,002 Forumite
    Second Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Do you have the original purchase paperwork and does that show joint names? Irrespective of if you are asked for it you can still submit it as the evidence to support your argument. 

Most insurers have no issues with the policyholder not being the owner/keeper when its a spouses car... its different if its a random person down the street etc. 
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,564 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You didn't need to change the registered keeper in 2017, there's no requirement for the main driver to be the registered keeper, particularly between spouses.
  • AuditSund
    10 Posts
    chrisw said:
    You didn't need to change the registered keeper in 2017, there's no requirement for the main driver to be the registered keeper, particularly between spouses.
    Do you think this should effect anything I've mentioned Chrisw
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,564 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 22 January at 3:43PM
    AuditSund said:
    chrisw said:
    Do you think this should effect anything I've mentioned Chrisw
    No but that's what's complicated matters. Presumably they don't like the car being owned jointly. But if you have proof of purchase from 2014 I can't see why they won't accept that, in reality most vehicles are owned jointly by spouses regardless of who actually laid out the money. 
  • AuditSund
    10 Posts
    Thanks for the feedback. I changed the registered keeper because at the time there were articles about it saying the insurers wouldn't accept  the main driver not being the registered keeper. 

I've just done a Google search: Does the registered keeper have to insure the car?  "It depends. Some insurance providers will only insure you as the main driver if you're the car's owner or registered keeper. Usually, the main driver is the registered keeper anyway. However, you don't have to be the registered owner of a vehicle to insure it."

• AuditSund
    10 Posts
    chrisw said:
    No but that's what's complicated matters. Presumably they don't like the car being owned jointly. But if you have proof of purchase from 2014 I can't see why they won't accept that, in reality most vehicles are owned jointly by spouses regardless of who actually laid out the money. 
    Chris: You haven't by any chance got any links or legal articles I can use to back up the statement. I found this on a Google search: joint ownership married of car -”They are considered responsible for the vehicle by the police and DVLA, but the owner is the person who paid for the car, or to whom it was given as a gift." - west Yorkshire police
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 15,428 Forumite
    Photogenic Sixth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 22 January at 7:33PM
    AuditSund said:
    chrisw said:
    Chris: You haven't by any chance got any links or legal articles I can use to back up the statement. I found this on a Google search: joint ownership married of car -”They are considered responsible for the vehicle by the police and DVLA, but the owner is the person who paid for the car, or to whom it was given as a gift." - west Yorkshire police
    Well, that's just basic law about ownership of property, there's no car-specific law about it.
  • AuditSund
    10 Posts
    user1977 said:
    AuditSund said:
    chrisw said:
    Well, that's just basic law about ownership of property, there's no car-specific law about it.
    They also followed on to quote " Cars used by married couples are usually considered joint-owned." - west Yorkshire police
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.