New ESTA needed

Hi , 

Have had a look on the forum and couldn't quite find the answer so have put this question out for a little help please 

I went to Florida in early 2022 with my Wife and Daughter and we all had a new ESTA , so each
 one runs out on 20th February 2024

My Wife and Daughter have both renewed their passports and I have organised a new ESTA for them so they are both sorted

We are going to the USA from 9th to 14th February so although my current ESTA is valid until 20th February , I assume that I don't need to do a fresh application ?

I know that you cant apply for a new one whilst your current one is still live

Its just that I have had an ESTA Expiration warning email and wanted to make sure that I can just use my current one 

I believe that you don't have to have excess time left on your ESTA , like on a passport

Thanks 


The truth shall set you free.....................
«1

Comments

  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,630
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 22 January at 8:55AM
    No you are just about covered, assuming you havent changed your passport since you did it.

    Depending on the mood of the person you get in the airport though, be prepared to prove you are leaving the country before the 20th (have an itinerary, boarding passes for return flight etc.... printed out)
  • HogMan
    HogMan Posts: 191
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The ESTA just needs to be valid on day of arrival. It does not need to be valid for the duration of your stay.

    I have travelled to the USA with an ESTA that expired a couple of days after my arrival with no issues

    You can apply for a new ESTA whilst the current one is live, the new application will replace your existing ESTA.

    https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/faq?lang=en


  • miggiwoo
    miggiwoo Posts: 578
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    HogMan said:
    The ESTA just needs to be valid on day of arrival. It does not need to be valid for the duration of your stay.

    I have travelled to the USA with an ESTA that expired a couple of days after my arrival with no issues

    You can apply for a new ESTA whilst the current one is live, the new application will replace your existing ESTA.

    https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/faq?lang=en


    Many thanks for your help

    Had a look previously at the frequent  Q & A's and noted that as long as ESTA has valid date for entry then should be ok

    Just made me slightly nervous getting the ESTA expiration warning email

    I will likely just leave it and assume that my current ESTA form will be ok 


    The truth shall set you free.....................
  • HogMan
    HogMan Posts: 191
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    They send out the reminder of expiry a month before it is due to expire.

    I guess it is better to be forewarned than turn up at the airport only to find your ESTA expired the day before for example.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,304
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    la531983 said:
    No you are just about covered, assuming you havent changed your passport since you did it.

    Depending on the mood of the person you get in the airport though, be prepared to prove you are leaving the country before the 20th (have an itinerary, boarding passes for return flight etc.... printed out)
    Why just about covered?  It only needs to be valid for day of entry it is just an authorisation to travel
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,630
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 22 January at 1:50PM
    photome said:
    la531983 said:
    No you are just about covered, assuming you havent changed your passport since you did it.

    Depending on the mood of the person you get in the airport though, be prepared to prove you are leaving the country before the 20th (have an itinerary, boarding passes for return flight etc.... printed out)
    Why just about covered?  It only needs to be valid for day of entry it is just an authorisation to travel
    I would call 11 days at the end of a two year period "just about covered", wouldnt you?

    In any case, he perhaps should be forearmed and have proof on his person he has booked a flight out of the country before the 20th, the immigration staff in the US are the most humourless people I have ever encountered. I would be leaving nothing to chance.
  • HogMan
    HogMan Posts: 191
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    As stated above the ESTA only needs to be valid on day of arrival. 

    The 20th is irrelevant, the ESTA does not need to be valid for the duration of the stay, which can be up to 90 days per visit.

    I do agree possession of an outbound flight ticket is desirable, but it can be after the 20th.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,304
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    la531983 said:
    photome said:
    la531983 said:
    No you are just about covered, assuming you havent changed your passport since you did it.

    Depending on the mood of the person you get in the airport though, be prepared to prove you are leaving the country before the 20th (have an itinerary, boarding passes for return flight etc.... printed out)
    Why just about covered?  It only needs to be valid for day of entry it is just an authorisation to travel
    I would call 11 days at the end of a two year period "just about covered", wouldnt you?

    In any case, he perhaps should be forearmed and have proof on his person he has booked a flight out of the country before the 20th, the immigration staff in the US are the most humourless people I have ever encountered. I would be leaving nothing to chance.
    No he isn’t just about covered

    he is covered to enter the USA before the 20th and doesn’t have to leave the USA by the 20th as you suggested

    the ESTA is only an authorisation to travel  from the UK to USA it has no bearing on the return trip
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,630
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 22 January at 9:11PM
    photome said:
    la531983 said:
    photome said:
    la531983 said:
    No you are just about covered, assuming you havent changed your passport since you did it.

    Depending on the mood of the person you get in the airport though, be prepared to prove you are leaving the country before the 20th (have an itinerary, boarding passes for return flight etc.... printed out)
    Why just about covered?  It only needs to be valid for day of entry it is just an authorisation to travel
    I would call 11 days at the end of a two year period "just about covered", wouldnt you?

    In any case, he perhaps should be forearmed and have proof on his person he has booked a flight out of the country before the 20th, the immigration staff in the US are the most humourless people I have ever encountered. I would be leaving nothing to chance.
    No he isn’t just about covered

    he is covered to enter the USA before the 20th and doesn’t have to leave the USA by the 20th as you suggested

    the ESTA is only an authorisation to travel  from the UK to USA it has no bearing on the return trip
    Yes he is, he is going within the last 2% of the time the ESTA covers, in my opinion that qualifies as "just about covered".

    We are splitting hairs now. And where did I suggest he has to leave before the 20th? My only point was that immigration staff over there are strict and severe and it would be PRUDENT just to have it with him.


  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,591
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    That's like saying you are just about pregnant.

    The esta is either valid on the date of travel or it isn't. There is no just about, it's binary.

    The immigration officers don't care if it has 3 years or 1 day to run as long as it is valid.

    Using wording like just about puts a seed of doubt into people's mind when there is none.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards