Vodafone broadband 12.7% price increase

Options
plunt
plunt Posts: 525 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 21 January at 8:33PM in Broadband & internet access
Hi all,

After reading a number or articles coming out about price rises of broadband I am shocked to see how understated Vodafone broadband price increases are and useful for people to be aware of.

Based on the details in their contract the price increase is based on
(pre discounted rate) x (CPI + 3.9%)

So let's take their 900mb line currently on sale for £36 a month. The pre discounted monthly rate which lasts the entire length of the fixed contract is apperantly £58 a month

So £58 x (7.9%) = £4.58 

Effective price increase of 12.72% (£40.58 vs old price of £36)

I assume others aren't doing this aswell but would love to hear peoples views.

Thanks

Comments

• MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,327 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 19 January at 5:50PM
    Options
    As if a CPI+ increase is not bad enough, using the pre-discounted rate as the baseline is shameless. I really wish more people would move from these blood-sucking tariffs.

I'm still on a O2 £10 PAYG contract that gives me unlimited calls & texts and enough data to suit me. The monthly cost not increased since I started in it March 2016, but during that time, the GB allowance has become incrementally more generous. Its a 1 minute job once a month to top-up. And, I actually get 10% back every 3 months as credit via their rewards scheme.
  • MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    plunt said:

I assume others aren't doing this aswell but what love to hear peoples views.

I think you'll find they are.

Not sure what sort of views you want. You can either go with a provider that has an annual increase, or go for one that doesn't, but pay more from the start.
  • Bendo
    Bendo Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 January at 6:43PM
    Options
    Plusnet price rise is based in the price you pay.

Before going with Plusnet I did check Vodafone,  the terms on their website does suggest it should be off the price you pay as that is the advertised priced, but seen far to many reports of underhand methods like described in the OP being included once signed up.

Frankly Vodafone are rubbish as an ISP, rubbish with customer service and evidently potentially underhand with their price rises

Plenty of much better providers out there that dont scrape the bottom on the barrel.

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bendo said:

PN had a problem with their accounting systems last year ,where many people DID get charged an increase based on the pre discounted price; got sorted in the end but not for several months after the increase !!
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Bendo said:
    Virgin claim to be the same. Will find out in April if they stick to their word....

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Had it a few years back with EE mobile paying £5 for a £15 contract with £10 discount.    They kept the discount at £10 and didn't soften the blow by increasing that in line.

• DaveinSevenoaks
    Options
    I am with OneStream (who are connected with Vodafone), and they have just put my fibre broadband price up by 15.1%, by increasing the "standard price" but not the discount.  However, they state that the price increase is 8.8%.

Does anyone know if OfCom have anything to say about this sharp practice?

My confirmatory email when I signed up quoted me a monthly price of £22.  It didn't say anything about the "standard price" and the discount.

Presumably there was nothing to stop Onestream from confirming a monthly cost of £22, but in the background saying that their standard price is £1000, with a £978 discount.  If they did that, they could REALLY improve their profits.
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,327 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Sky does the same. You'll have agreed to the standard price with a discount, but the increase is on the standard price. They can't change the standard price outwith the T&Cs.
  • Chickereeeee
    Chickereeeee Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    plunt said:

I assume others aren't doing this aswell but what love to hear peoples views.

I think you'll find they are.

Not sure what sort of views you want. You can either go with a provider that has an annual increase, or go for one that doesn't, but pay more from the start.
    Or you can go with one which is cheaper at the start AND has zero price increases for the period of the contract.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback