AirHelp

Options
Londonlisa12
Londonlisa12 Posts: 163 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 18 January at 4:14AM in Flight delay compensation
AirHelp say you pay a 35% fee , but if they need to go down a legal route to obtain your refund they can charge you a seperate “legal fee” on top of this for their lawyers.
So what is the initial 35% for if not to legally get your flight delay compensation I understand that this extra legal /laeyers charge is in thir small print but it’s very underhand in my honest opinion and total and utter greed on their behalf.

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    AirHelp say you pay a 35% fee , but if they need to go down a legal route to obtain your refund they can charge you a seperate “legal fee” on top of this for their lawyers.
    So what is the initial 35% for if not to legally get your flight delay compensation I understand that this extra legal /laeyers charge is in thir small print but it’s very underhand in my honest opinion and total and utter greed on their behalf.
     Agree that's why people should apply directly themselves without using these shyster companies 
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 January at 7:02AM
    Options
    AirHelp are a "claims management" company. In simple cases that will be as easy as submitting the claim to the airline, receiving the compensation and then forwarding the compensation on. Some cases will involve more back and forth with the airline and more admin time. And some may need legal action. 

Their fees will be averaged so that they cover their costs and make a profit on top (they're not a charity). Legal action costs more so they reserve the right to charge more. They are pretty upfront about their fee structure on the website and the passenger agrees to the T&Cs before instructing them.

You say it's total and utter greed on their part, but do you have any idea of their costs when a case gets to legal action? 

They're not doing anything a passenger couldn't do without them, there's a wealth of resource online to help with EC261 claims. 

Granted some cases can be difficult and legal support useful. In which case I'd always recommend an actual solicitor firm on a NWNF basis. Bott&Co are usually the ones recommended here. 
  • Londonlisa12
    Londonlisa12 Posts: 163 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 18 January at 3:21PM
    Options
    So in other words they do next to nothing for the initial 35% and then claimants are told they will have to pay an extra fee if legal work needs to be done. Lovely
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So in other words they do next to nothing for the initial 35% and then claimants are told they will have to pay an extra fee if legal work needs to be done. Lovely
    Can't say I'm a massive fan of ambulance-chasers like this, but they have their place and should have plenty of experience in knowing the angles to use with airlines, etc - obviously those who believe that they do next to nothing for the initial 35% would simply claim directly themselves, rather than engaging a company like this to do it for them, in much the same way as some are happy to DIY while others seek assistance from plumbers, car mechanics, financial advisors, etc?

What's the context - have you signed up with them, or are you evaluating them against their competitors, or are you considering claiming directly, or something else?
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All of which is on their website and the customer agrees to a the point of signing up.

The base level of EC261 is €250.  A 35% fee of that is €87.50.  Granted for simple cases they will just fill out the form on the airline website, the airline won't argue and they'll get the compensation and pass the balance on to the customer.  For €87.50 that may well be money for old rope.

In some cases the airline may push back, and there'll then be some to-ing and fro-ing between them and the airline before the airline settles.  In those cases the €87.50 may be getting nearer their actual staff/time/admin costs.  In a very small amount of cases the time and admin may well exceed €87.50.

Simplified examples, admittedly using the base level of compo.  But AirHelp are upfront about their charges, and the fact that if it goes legal it will cost more.

I agree with @eskbanker that claims management has a place in the market.  Are they doing anything an individual can't do themselves? No.  But there's so many things in life that we could do ourselves but choose to pay someone else to do for convenience or expertise.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback