Booking a hotel in Greece using credit card

Options
I am planning to book direct with a hotel in Greece. They offer room prices in pound sterling but there is the option to change to pay in euros. If i pay using a credit card is it better to pay in euros or sterling. I did ask my bank but bank couldnt advise me on this so just wondered if anyone else had any advice. Thanks.

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,861 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Their price in GBP is likely at a very very poor exchange rate, have you worked it out?
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The general rule when using a UK credit card outside of the UK is to use the local currency as then you will get the exchange at bank rates not something the shop itself might have set in it's favour.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 January at 4:08PM
    Options
    Is their price in GBP an actual price to pay or just an indicative price?  A lot of websites will detect you're in the UK and show you an approximate GBP price for ease, but will actually charge in the local currency of the hotel.

What credit card do you have and how much does it charge for non-GBP transactions? That would be a starting point to working out which way will be best.  Normally advice is to pay in local currency, however if you have a card which charges extortionate non-sterling fees then it may be best to take the hotel's GBP rate, even if it's a poor rate.
  • Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would generally pay in the local currency but I would be using a credit card that has no fees for foreign transactions.  If you have to pay a 2.99% foreign currency fee on your credit card then it might be worth letting the hotel do the conversion but the only way to be sure is to compare the exchange rates.
  • mexican_dave
    mexican_dave Posts: 274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I generally pay in the local currency too, using a no fee credit card. The credit card also gives me some consumer protection too. Conversations to GBP from a local currency are not usually in your interest, from what I have learned from general consumer advice.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mark_d said:
    I would generally pay in the local currency but I would be using a credit card that has no fees for foreign transactions.  If you have to pay a 2.99% foreign currency fee on your credit card then it might be worth letting the hotel do the conversion but the only way to be sure is to compare the exchange rates.

My bet is that if the hotel is doing the conversion they will be charging more than 2.99%. If someone ever offers to do a currency exchange for you then it's usually for their benefit rather than yours. 

The long term answer is to get another credit card which doesn't charge for foreign exchange (e.g. Halifax Clarity) but in the short term I would just swallow the 3% markup on your usual card.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can get a Curve card quickly. Use it to "mask" your credit card so that you are not charged the foreign currency fee.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback