Broadband and mobile users to be hit with price hikes of up to 7.9% as BT, EE and more confirm rises

Options
Millions of BT, TalkTalk, Three and Vodafone customers will see price hikes of up to 7.9% this spring. It's a blow to consumers amid ongoing campaigning from MoneySavingExpert.com (MSE) and its founder Martin Lewis to end above-inflation, mid-contract rises.

Read the full story:

Broadband and mobile users to be hit with price hikes of up to 7.9% as BT, EE and more confirm rises for this spring – here's what's happening

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• OVOcomputersaysno
    Options
    I'm cancelling BT service for 24 month contract ending  in May 24 but found out I can do this by email and 90days maximum from before contract end date .  Don't want to listen to call centre operator explaining why these hikes are justified ; when they're clearly not !
  • MouldyOldDough
    MouldyOldDough Posts: 1,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 17 January at 4:33PM
    Options

But TT deny that they will offer "most vunerable customers" no price rise...
    Where did you get this incorrect information from ?

• Harpsichord
    Options
    If consuners can't leave a telecoms "contract" whenever we like for free, theycompanies shouldn't be allowed to arbitrarily increase the price in-contract. Absurd and immoral practice that not only needs to be banned, but consumers should be refunded for past malpractice. 
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 January at 1:33PM
    Options
    Signed up to Now 2 weeks ago, starting next week, this is good:

• Now has confirmed that it won't increase prices by inflation. Last year, it upped broadband and landline bills (barring Basics and TV-only deals, which didn't rise) by £3.50 a month (£42 a year).
  • southsidergs
    southsidergs Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 January at 3:04PM
    Options
    It's a blow to consumers amid ongoing campaigning from MoneySavingExpert.com (MSE) and its founder Martin Lewis to end above-inflation, mid-contract rises.

Gotta love the spin here, BT are talking about a £3 increase on a bb contract from later this year (seen elsewhere) yet 7.9% on 29.99 is 2.37 but yes it's a blow for the end of above mid contract rises......
  • BobT36
    BobT36 Posts: 571 Forumite
    Options
    Only 7.9%? Sky want to raise mine by 41% lol. 
  • lagib
    lagib Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was paying Virgin Media £34/month for my 50mb broadband and phone anytime package which was due to rise to £54/month on 5.2.24. I haggled with VM but they said could do no better than around £32/month which could not beat a new Vodaphone deal at £28/month. I told VM that I would be leaving them and signed up with Vodaphone. The very next day, VM rang me and offered a £22/month deal to stay with them on my present package which I accepted. Not only was it a much lower cost deal but it avoided Vodaphone having to rip up my lawn to connect to the Citylink fibre network recently installed on the estate streets where I live. All in all, worth the parley with VM. It may have made a difference that I have been with VM for 20 years with many parleys along the way to keep costs low. The £22/month quoted above reflects a cushion too for the impending annual rise by inflation+3.9% in April which VM gave as a further concession, otherwise the new deal would have been slightly higher in cost. 
  • BeerSavesMoney
    BeerSavesMoney Posts: 200 Forumite
    edited 30 January at 7:13PM
    Options
    If consuners can't leave a telecoms "contract" whenever we like for free, theycompanies shouldn't be allowed to arbitrarily increase the price in-contract. Absurd and immoral practice that not only needs to be banned, but consumers should be refunded for past malpractice. 
    Agree and that’s what I said in response to the Ofcom consultation, https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-1/review-of-inflation-linked-telecoms-price-rises

Not that my opinion will make any difference to it but I believe that these companies should be able to factor in these costs over, for example, a 24 month period. 

The costs should be included in the monthly contract costs from the very start. 

If they are unable to do so then shorter contracts should be offered. 

Ofcoms solution is quite simply not good enough. 
  • MouldyOldDough
    MouldyOldDough Posts: 1,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Fixed price contracts should mean fixed price 
    Not with COL rises 
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,094 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 8 February at 11:42AM
    Options
    Fixed price contracts should mean fixed price 
    Not with COL rises 
    BT offer fixed price contracts for consumers who would prefer to pay higher price at start of contract.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback