1p Penny Mobile

Options

Just a follow-up from Martins’ help on mobile phones tonight, I am an avid fan of '1p Penny Mobile'. If you are a light user, the tariff is only 1p per minute, 1p per text, and 1p per MB of data. They also have a 1-year deal for £36 which I have just signed up to. This then gives you unlimited calls & texts, plus 250MB of monthly data.

As a light user, I find this is the best provider for my circumstances. If you’re a light user like me, then Penny Mobile may be your best option. 

For your information, they use the EE network which I find gives me great coverage. Even up in the hills of the Yorkshire Dales. 

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would love to try 1p mobile but the data is significantly more expensive than Smarty or Lebara.  In a high-use month, where I'm doing more internet browsing/maps than general, I might use 2.5Gb.  With 1p mobile I'd be paying £7.50 a month but Lebara has excellent coverage and is only £4.50 per month.
  • Ice_Man
    Ice_Man Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Mark_d said:
    I would love to try 1p mobile but the data is significantly more expensive than Smarty or Lebara.  In a high-use month, where I'm doing more internet browsing/maps than general, I might use 2.5Gb.  With 1p mobile I'd be paying £7.50 a month but Lebara has excellent coverage and is only £4.50 per month.
    I can see your issue there but as a light user, I would never use that much data. I use my phone mainly for calls and texts and only use the data if I am struggling to get wifi whilst away on holiday or sitting in a car park waiting for my wife to come back from the shops. 
  • alanjones60
    alanjones60 Posts: 432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 January at 11:39AM
    Options
    Id try 1p if they got rid of the top up £10 every 4 months. Not true payg. Since  i went on the rwg free 100 mins 100 texts and 750mb  a month,iv found out my averidge use is 20 mins 10 text and 500 mb a month
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,074 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Id try 1p if they got rid of the top up £10 every 4 months. Not true payg. Since  i went on the rwg free 100 mins 100 texts and 750mb  a month,iv found out my averidge use is 20 mins 10 text and 500 mb a month
    To be honest a lot of payg providers now have regular topup requirement, although usually there is a grace period before disconnection.
  • Murmansk
    Murmansk Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 18 January at 6:39PM
    Options
    With 1p they don't make you pay £10 every 120 days if you buy bundles/"boosts". I think their policy is to prevent them making nothing from people who leave the phone in the glovebox and only use it when they break down etc - seems fair enough to me. 

Lyca/Lebara and RWG may be a bit cheaper but from what I've read on here you get what you pay for.
  • BadDebtor
    BadDebtor Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ice_Man said:

Just a follow-up from Martins’ help on mobile phones tonight, I am an avid fan of '1p Penny Mobile'. If you are a light user, the tariff is only 1p per minute, 1p per text, and 1p per MB of data. They also have a 1-year deal for £36 which I have just signed up to. This then gives you unlimited calls & texts, plus 250MB of monthly data.

As a light user, I find this is the best provider for my circumstances. If you’re a light user like me, then Penny Mobile may be your best option. 

For your information, they use the EE network which I find gives me great coverage. Even up in the hills of the Yorkshire Dales. 

I like the look of that, do you know if they do credit checking, they do not mention it in their terms or privacy but do not say they don't do a credit check.

If they had roll over like Sky on data it would appeal more, I hardly use mobile data but when I do I don't want charges, I have 2gb a month and several hundred gigabytes in piggybank.

I only really use mobile for Waze and find my phone.

Good to know I have this option, I might use them for my backup sim

What network to they piggy back on?
  • Cloth_of_Gold
    Cloth_of_Gold Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Murmansk said:
    With 1p they don't make you pay £10 every 120 days if you buy bundles/"boosts". I think their policy is to prevent them making nothing from people who leave the phone in the glovebox and only use it when they break down etc - seems fair enough to me. 

Lyca/Lebara and RWG may be a bit cheaper but from what I've read on here you get what you pay for.

I've been with Lebara for 18 months/2 years now on a £5 a month rolling contract. I've not had any problems at all and am amazed how cheap it is for what I get - and it hasn't gone up in that time.
  • liggerz87
    liggerz87 Posts: 391 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I been with 1p since 5th Jan I joined from EE not had any problems at all there literally a clone of EE band 18 I think it is and also WiFi and voice over 4g to I'm paying 10 a month for unlimited calls txt and 25gb data
  • liggerz87
    liggerz87 Posts: 391 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    BadDebtor said:
    Ice_Man said:

I like the look of that, do you know if they do credit checking, they do not mention it in their terms or privacy but do not say they don't do a credit check.

If they had roll over like Sky on data it would appeal more, I hardly use mobile data but when I do I don't want charges, I have 2gb a month and several hundred gigabytes in piggybank.

I only really use mobile for Waze and find my phone.

Good to know I have this option, I might use them for my backup sim

What network to they piggy back on?
    They don't credit check at all
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,074 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Murmansk said:

If the bundle costs less than £10 you do have to topup £10 and then pay for the bundle from your credit. Paying for a bundle costing £10 or more once every 120 days counts as meeting the topup requirement. This makes their low cost bundles cumbersome imo.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback