Are these taps turning the correct way? (Photo)

A plumber has just been in to change the bath taps. They both turn on by pushing the lever to the right. Is this correct? My kitchen taps are the opposite; both are pushed to the outside to turn on. 

Also, he didn’t add the tap indices. I found the blue one lying around in all the mess he made but there’s no sign of a red one. This adds to my feeling that these are both ‘cold’ taps. There are holes where the indices should be fitted and I’m worried that any water splashed on them will end up on the floorboards underneath the bath. 

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,187
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    presumably each tap is connected to a different pipe so presumably the one on the left will be for hot and the right for cold.  weird though about them both turning the same way.

have you paid him yet?  I'd be saying come back and sort this prior to payment.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Chickereeeee
    Chickereeeee Posts: 1,165
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The convention is: hot on the left, tap turns clockwise for on. Cold on the right, turn anticlockwise  for on.

I believe it is just a convention, but really annoying if not followed, especially if other taps in the house do follow the convention. You are correct, he supplied two cold taps (or he got cheap Chinese/old design taps!). Get him back.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,203
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The convention is: hot on the left, tap turns clockwise for on. Cold on the right, turn anticlockwise  for on.
    In my bathroom, cold on left, hot on right. Both taps turn on clockwise, but mine are not lever operated.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,554
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I believe hot should always be on the left for the visually impaired.
    Is that picture showing both taps off ??
  • Chickereeeee
    Forumite
    FreeBear said:
    In my bathroom, cold on left, hot on right. Both taps turn on clockwise, but mine are not lever operated.

Then you are unconventional (and/or have old taps and plumbing!).

The house we moved into was refurbished about 13 years ago, and the taps were a mix of directions. Just (after 7 years) got around to replacing them with new, which all follow the convention.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,882
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for the replies. This is a council house so it was one of their contractors. I knew there would be problems (there always is!) but this one caused a flood with water still dripping through the kitchen ceiling below, ripped the flooring, tore the bath panel apart and ruined the skirting board so I’m reluctant to ask him to come back. Are the taps ok to be left like this? I can tolerate them turning on the wrong way round as long as it won’t cause any more problems. I’m a bit concerned about the holes in the taps. It seems inevitable that water will end up going through those holes. Where would it end up? Is there some way for it to drain or will it just soak into the floorboards? 
  • ripplyuk
    Forumite
    I believe hot should always be on the left for the visually impaired.
    Is that picture showing both taps off ??
    No, they’re both on. It was to show the direction they turn on. 
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 16 January at 4:32PM
    ripplyuk said:
    Thanks for the replies. This is a council house so it was one of their contractors. I knew there would be problems (there always is!) but this one caused a flood with water still dripping through the kitchen ceiling below, ripped the flooring, tore the bath panel apart and ruined the skirting board so I’m reluctant to ask him to come back. Are the taps ok to be left like this? I can tolerate them turning on the wrong way round as long as it won’t cause any more problems. I’m a bit concerned about the holes in the taps. It seems inevitable that water will end up going through those holes. Where would it end up? Is there some way for it to drain or will it just soak into the floorboards? 

I don't see any other issues arising from this, but it's still wrong. You should let the council know - summat is amiss here.
    The circular groove for the coloured ring is just that - a groove in the head of the tap. Water landing there shouldn't get anywhere - it'll just land there and become mucky :neutral:
    Coupled with everything else you've said, this contractor should be thrown off their books. This should be steady, reliable work - tradesfolk certainly used to want a council contract as they were always busy. Maybe that's changed? But these guys are cowboys, and clearly don't give a damn. Worse, the only explanation is that they keep the new taps, and reuse ones taken from other jobs.
    Do you know your local councillor? Perhaps invite them around for a chat, and explain everything this 'plumber' did wrong.

Pretty conclusive: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lever+taps+which+way+do+they+turn&sca_esv=598837661&source=hp&ei=RK-mZZb0AvCHhbIPkqW2-Ac&iflsig=ANes7DEAAAAAZaa9VFCjR3cMu5sHWdIEAysqj4G3ERvS&ved=0ahUKEwiWpuC-quKDAxXwQ0EAHZKSDX8Q4dUDCAw&uact=5&oq=lever+taps+which+way+do+they+turn&gs_lp=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_CAgsQABiABBiKBRiGA8ICBxAhGAoYoAHCAgQQIRgVwgIFECEYnwU&sclient=gws-wiz

• Chickereeeee
    Forumite
    ripplyuk said:
    Yes you can have them anyway you want, AFAIK. It's a convention, not a regulation.

It may be inconvenient, if you (or guests) keep turning it the wrong way, however.
  • ripplyuk
    Forumite
    @ThisIsWeird There are holes in that groove for the indices, all around it. On my last taps it was solid but these are not. 

These contractors are paid regardless of what (if any) work they do so it’s inevitable that they won’t care but the amount of damage they do every time they’re here is getting ridiculous so I might have to contact my local councillor. The same contractors reversed into my car and drove off, causing £3K of damage. Then this year another contractor caused £700 of damage to the garden, which I didn’t think was even possible. 

I’ve just rang the council and they said to speak to the contractor so I did. They said the flooding is normal when changing taps and it should stop soon. They said they don’t know what to do about the rest of the damage 😕

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback