Calor Gas constant supply problems effects lives.

Hello  ( this new thread is in reply to Bluebell1974. who poste, but unfortunely I couldnt post this reply to the OP sorry)
Firstly, I am sorry to hear about the problems that Bluebelle1974 is encountering.

Secondly, this is happening to what might well be thousands of people, I have yet to determine just how many but I`m working on it.
Its Monday 15th Jan 24, & I am on telemetry I have been ringing on a daily basis for almost a week, wanting to know where my delivery was, I was at 10% apparently. We take around 11K litres in two tanks, and in the course of 5 weeks we are down to almost nothing or in fact empty.
I am disgusted with this company and their attitudes towards people that are stuck in this same manner.
Each year we have been left with a "Just in time" delivery ( 1 or 2% left) or with nothing for a number of days.
I have been promised time and time again that  "This shouldn't have happened"
The people that answer your calls say the same old things every single time:
I`ll escalate this to the depot ( in my case Stoney Stanton)
I`m in awe as to the what escalation means, because quite honestly its never meant a thing.

I have been told for the last few days that my case has been escalated and you will get a delivery today... well, its Monday 15th Jan 2024, there's ice everywhere and its pretty cold.
I could go on for hours, however, I think its about time that those on LPG should get together and demand change, Calor are happy to take our money but not so much to deliver what paying for an item contracts them to do.
I would also point out that many of us pay different amounts for our LPG, this often dependant on your ability to play hardball when you come to re negotiate your contracts.

It turned out that we were being charged 75p per litre plus VAT at 5%, I also discovered that our contract had ended, and no one had been in contact to tell us this, total negligence, and they were happy to keep taking this amount without informing us of the situation.

*In case you are wondering why I didn't know, its because my husband was looking after this part of the household but he died. Despite me informing Calor of his death they didn't even think to tell me that what was now 'my contract was either up, or due for renewal.*
So I have now written to the ombudsman after repeated attempts to engage Calor in amending the situation.
They have had numerous letters, now hundreds of phone calls and I am furious.
Their incompetence knows no bounds, I have discovered that the depot has a poor working reputation with many drivers there either leaving or disgruntled.
I have done a lot of searching the internet for complaints about Calor LPG deliveries and there are simple hundreds, all going back for years!
This company must be taken to task, I will also be writing to a number of MPs alongside what may or may not come from my complaint to the ombudsman.

All you ever get from Calor representatives is the following: This shouldn't have happened, I`m sorry, I will escalate your complaint. But you know... Nothing Changes!
We need to become more active, I have already sent my complaint to the Ombudsman, I am also writing to a number of MPs, and I mean to get answers because there are never answers from Calor in all my emails, or calls.

In fact no one has ever replied in years to my complaints either on their own website or by me searching out email addresses.

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,299
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Could you take all the emotional stuff out of that and repost with clear facts as to what you think the actual issue is and what you propose as a solution?
  • Mariko
    Mariko Posts: 5
    First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    No.

There is little to no " emotional stuff " I have been clear and succinct.
    I have stated that I have contacted the Ombudsman, I have also contacted some MPs, and will contact more.
    Thus far I have contacted James Cleverly, & Yvette Cooper, I will add more.
    I have also contacted over a few years Calor via their online portal, via emails that I have found relating to everyone that has a published email that is part of Calor Gas, I have spoken to numerous individuals at Calor.
    I have set out my proposals for what should and or could be done at this juncture.

I also mentioned in my OP that I believe people need to band together (not those exact words) in order to take this company to task. One has to start somewhere, I dont have a parliamentary lobby group nore have I a judicial review up my sleave...yet.

Calor gas I believe operate a 'Just in Time' policy with their LPG deliveries for many many households, its not good enough.

Should I go on for ease of clarity or perhaps in order to make my post count go up?

You should find my reply sufficiently clear, because if not then there is nothing else I or anyone else can do for you.

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,685
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 15 January at 5:44PM
    Could you take all the emotional stuff out of that and repost with clear facts as to what you think the actual issue is and what you propose as a solution?
    I think the key points are as follows.
    Mariko said:
    We take around 11K litres in two tanks, and in the course of 5 weeks we are down to almost nothing or in fact empty.
    Are you saying that you use 11000 litres in five weeks? 11000 litres is bout 70000kWh, which would mean you're gtting through 2000kWh of gas a day?
    Are you running a bakery?
    Mariko said:
    I have been told for the last few days that my case has been escalated and you will get a delivery today... well, its Monday 15th Jan 2024, there's ice everywhere and its pretty cold.
    But you haven't yet run out?
    Mariko said:
    It turned out that we were being charged 75p per litre plus VAT at 5%, I also discovered that our contract had ended, and no one had been in contact to tell us this
    When did your contract end? Have you have a delivery since then? Did you look at your bill?

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Mariko
    First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hello there GrizB,

Thank you for your questions.
    My error, we take around 11k litres of LPG a year give or take.  No I don't run a bakery but what a wonderful idea!
    Regarding the times posted, we ran out pre 5th December 23, however the 5th is the day we were sent a tanker, they only filled it to 40% I believe to 'cover Christmas'.

Today, 15th January 24 when I looked again it 'appears' to say 1% (our tanks are in the ground)
    As mentioned previously we have telemetry and I have been assured very many times that we would get a delivery by the time the level was 10% no matter what, and that this is the criteria by which orders are dealt with, however this is not the case most of the time, and to this point in January 2023 we had no gas for a number of days, this has been the same outcome each and every year, a period of time when the supply chain doesn't work for us.

The contract ended March 2023, however again as previously mentioned my husband had died so there was more to deal with than Calor at the time.
    Also, for 6 months or so during 2023 the Calor website was down, I nor anyone else for that matter could not access anything, so it was difficult to ask about things that I had no sight of, we also don't get paper billing, nor has anything ever been emailed to us.
    I have been assured that a delivery will arrive on the 16th January.......
  • QrizB
    Forumite
    If you're out of contract, it's probably time to phone around your local suppiers and see who can offer you a decent deal.
    LPG contracts can be a bit of a minefield; most are for two years, and many suppliers will try to only offer a fixed price for the first year (becoming variable after that). Be sure that you know what you're agreeing to!
    This thread has various people's recent prices (jump to the last couple of pages):

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Mariko
    First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hello there GrizB,

Thank you for your kind reply, unfortunately I signed prior to posting on the understanding from them in writing that the past experiences would not re-occur.
    That obviously didn't happen straight off the bat.
    There don't appear to be independents in my area, and the other company I contacted being Flogas have had equal problems (neighbours use them and are also complaining)

Re the contract, you're absolutely correct, they would only offer 1 year then the 2nd year variable, which to my mind means they could potentially hike it right back to the original price of 75ppl, not too much to argue with as they have my signature agreeing to it, although being very argumentative I would battle with them. 
    I have a year of 45ppl so we shall see the delights in store for the future.

Thank you for the thread link, I had seen this previously and its very interesting.
    Still waiting for the promised delivery as of time of writing...

• QrizB
    Forumite
    Mariko said:
    I have a year of 45ppl so we shall see the delights in store for the future.
    I'm pleased to learn that youve got a good price for the next 12 months. Let's all hope that LPG prices remain moderate into 2025!

• MikeFl
    MikeFl Posts: 12
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    As someone who left Calor (and LPG entirely) in May of last year, but is still getting bills from them, I feel your pain. Do keep a record of all communication with them. If you ever run out of gas then I believe that would be deemed a breach of contract (i.e. if you have an agreement to be supplied with bulk gas, and you are not supplied with bulk gas, then that's a breach of the contract in anyone's book).
    There is no ombudsman for LPG - OFGEM only cover on-grid suppliers, so there's very little support for consumers, although, Liquid Gas UK do have some responsibility to ensure suppliers stick to certain rules, mainly about transfer of supplier. Do involve your local MP though, as they ought to be able to support you, at least in getting communication with someone in Calor.

I've generally found the people who I spoke to in Calor to be helpful and useful; it seems that issues lie elsewhere within the organisation.
  • Mariko
    First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I'm sorry to hear this MikeFL, they just cannot work from one hand to another, it would appear that for years now this company are utterly incapable of dealing with their customers let alone their IT system or logistics.
    Their website was down for over 6 months last year, quite astonishing.

My update is that as I type there is no delivery of LPG, despite waiting for 2 and a half hours on hold today 19th January 2024.
    When I did get through I was told catagorically that a delivery would be with me today around lunch time, well its 18.45 now.
    All in all I have been calling & emailing them for 9 days.
    There are even more complaints on twitter(X) to Martin Lewis amongst others.
    The Facebook calor page is interesting, also filled with people who are left without gas, and promised deliveries that never turn up.

This company should be stripped of its Royal warrant along with executives, and those in charge of distribution being hauled in front of a commission to explain why they do this yearly to people that are stuck without mains gas.
    Peoples lives are at their mercy.

I have contacted MPs ect. And Calor never ever reply to any complaints, nor return calls as they mention on their own recorded messages.

For good measure I will also write to the King, it never hurts, you cannot ask for his intercedence on personal matters but it might well be a good thing to have the warrant that Calor currently enjoy being re considered and hopefully recinded (warrants are given to companies that supply the royal family, but its inclusion on a companies website/headed paper etc gives it prestige..Calor is not a company with any prestige.

• markin
    markin Posts: 3,731
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    The king will probably say you should get a heatpump, The is a 7K grant.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback