Dad’s Online Banking Issue

Hi,
My elderly Dad has been in hospital for 5 weeks. 
Despite being 84, he’s always been PC savvy and all his accounts and bills are online.
A couple of weeks before he became poorly, he decided he wanted to set up a POA but unfortunately we didn’t get round to doing it!
He’s asked me to keep an eye on his bank account and given me his password.
Unfortunately the information he’s given me doesn’t seem to be correct. I’ve queried it with him ( he’s still mentally fine!) however somethings obviously not right.
The Halifax account has offered one more attempt to get in but I’m reluctant to try as I don’t want it to get locked out!
Even if we go down the POA route, I believe it could take months.
The hospital want to discharge him but he’s not well enough to return home and will most likely go to a nursing home and will need self funding.
His house will have to be sold aswell.
Any advice please as I’ve no idea if there’s anyway around this situation as we will need access to his savings to pay for his care prior to his house being sold?
Help please 🙏

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,420
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If he is mentally fine then got on with the POA ASAP  as just having passwords to login to his accounts won;t do in the longer term and you may find yourself totally locked out if any of the institutions find out. 

Can you get a friend to be the certificate provider and come to the hospital with you to have chat to him about his wishes re POA ? 
  • glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 628
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Were you trying to access his bank from the PC at his home? One layer of security may be device fingerprinting.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 12 January at 9:38PM
    woodyt said:

Unfortunately the information he’s given me doesn’t seem to be correct. I’ve queried it with him ( he’s still mentally fine!) however somethings obviously not right.
    There are options
    • Change your password
    • Change your memorable information
    • Change both
    • Find out your username
    As you managed to exhaust the available login attempts, the username that you know is correct. You can double-check this with with "Change both" option - if you enter incorrect username you won't be able to get to the next step.
    If the username is correct, then the problem is, obviously, with the password. For their mobile app they say:
    1. On sign in page, select Forgotten your sign-in details?.
    2. Enter your details and if you don’t know your username, we’ll ask for account details instead.
    3. We’ll now do a quick security check to confirm it’s you. Select a number for us to contact you on.
    4. We’ll send you a one-time passcode text, we’ll ask you to enter it. If we called you, we’ll ask you to say or key the code on your phone.
    5. All done, you’ve updated your details and can use them to sign in.
    So, it's only his mobile (or landline?) phone that you need to get the one-time passcode . I guess for a PC the procedure is the same.
  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,032
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm 83 and tech savvy 

Has he got finger print or facial ID set up with his bank ?

If so take his PC/phone to him and get him to login then change passwords etc to whatever you can rember 
  • grumbler
    Forumite
    edited 12 January at 9:35PM
    MikeJXE said:
    If so take his PC/phone to him and get him to login then change passwords etc to whatever you can rember 
    Taking a PC can be easier said than done. And I don't think that "print or facial ID" is available on a PC. In my Android app only fingerprint sign-in is available, no face.

• Barkin
    Barkin Posts: 375
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    grumbler said:
    MikeJXE said:
    Taking a PC can be easier said than done. And I don't think that "print or facial ID" is available on a PC. 
    My laptop PC has fingerprint recognition.
    It's hardly state-of-the-art either - getting on 10 years old IIRC. 

Just sayin'... 
  • woodyt
    woodyt Posts: 112
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MikeJXE said:
    I'm 83 and tech savvy 

If so take his PC/phone to him and get him to login then change passwords etc to whatever you can rembeuglennevis said:
    Were you trying to access his bank from the PC at his home? One layer of security may be device fingerprinting.
    Yes I am but he doesn't have that . ThanksMikeJXE said:
    I'm 83 and tech savvy 

Unfortunately not 😕
  • woodyt
    Forumite
    glennevis said:
    Yes I am but he doesn't have that , thanks
  • woodyt
    Forumite
    grumbler said:
    woodyt said:

There are options
    • Change your password
    • Change your memorable information
    • Change both
    • Find out your username
    As you managed to exhaust the available login attempts, the username that you know is correct. You can double-check this with with "Change both" option - if you enter incorrect username you won't be able to get to the next step.
    If the username is correct, then the problem is, obviously, with the password. For their mobile app they say:
    1. On sign in page, select Forgotten your sign-in details?.
    2. Enter your details and if you don’t know your username, we’ll ask for account details instead.
    3. We’ll now do a quick security check to confirm it’s you. Select a number for us to contact you on.
    4. We’ll send you a one-time passcode text, we’ll ask you to enter it. If we called you, we’ll ask you to say or key the code on your phone.
    5. All done, you’ve updated your details and can use them to sign in.
    So, it's only his mobile (or landline?) phone that you need to get the one-time passcode . I guess for a PC the procedure is the same.
    Yes I did try that, however it said that it was unable to process (or words to that affect!) this time.
    Any ideas if I fail on the last attempt what would happen re gaining access to the account?
    Thanks
  • grumbler
    Forumite
    edited 12 January at 11:40PM
    Barkin said:
    grumbler said:
    MikeJXE said:
    Taking a PC can be easier said than done. And I don't think that "print or facial ID" is available on a PC. 
    My laptop PC has fingerprint recognition.
    It's hardly state-of-the-art either - getting on 10 years old IIRC. 

Just sayin'... 
    Well, for me a PC and a laptop are different things, but that's possibly just me.
    I'm curious - does their website really offer a fingerprint option if a laptop has the sensor? - https://www.halifax-online.co.uk/personal/logon/login.jsp

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback