🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Adaptor To Connect Phone Sim Card To Laptop or Kindle

Options
1235»

Comments

• fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cerebus said:
    fifeken said:
    cerebus said:
    fifeken said:
    cerebus said:
    fifeken said:
    MACKEM99 said:
    fifeken said:
    cerebus said:
    fifeken said:
    MACKEM99 said:
    Its been a while I know but I am now looking further into this.  It is for my holiday home where I will be starting to go soon.. I spend various times there.  Regularly 5 days and then sometimes for a week or two at a time.  I have been looking at this on Amazon:

TP-Link 300 Mbps Wireless N 4G+Cat 4 LTE Router, 4G Network Micro SIM Slot Unlocked, With WAN Connection, No Configuration required, Parental Control, Easy Management, UK Plug (TL-MR6400) : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I was going to get the ASDA Sim Card offer to start with to see how I get on (monthly roll over plan).  Then if I find it does not work I can return the item to Amazon and all I have paid for is a few pounds, so not a lot to lose.

Any thoughts?

I have a similar one in my overseas place (with overseas SIM) and have just bought one for my UK place to replace land line and Sky internet.  The only thing I would suggest is dependant on your usage but perhaps look for a higher spec model (Cat 6 or higher) which allows carrier aggregation and therefore better speeds.
    The op has already decided to use his phone as a hotspot 
    I read that but he may change his mind when he realises both users must be within range of the phone at all times.  Having mobile as backup for when he's down the pub or she's at the shops or wherever means both can still be connected.  Any IOT devices will still be accessible with the router option but not with the phone option when he's out and about, which he hasn't mentioned but may not have thought about.
    And no-one ever changed their mind or appreciated more information on a previous option?
    Or no-one else looking for a similar solution could read the thread and benefit from having more data to base their decision on?

OP.  The router option means an initial purchase so not as moneysaving, but gives you more flexibility and saves you using a phone long term as a hot spot which many experts say should not be done.
    Why do they say not using phone as hotspot long term?

Potential battery life reduced from overheating and constant charge/recharge cycles.  Here's one write up on it but there's plenty more if you look.  The wifi router option removes any battery from the equation.

Utterly no different to using WiFi or Bluetooth,  when I use my phone as a hotspot I turn off WiFi and Bluetooth and don't notice any more battery drain than usual 

No overheating either , it is simply broadcasting a signal which is exactly what is was designed to do

Scaremongering at its very worse 

Have you even read that article you quoted or plucked it out of thin air to try and prove your none existent point? You will notice it blames the heating up and battery drain on the two things that virtually everybody has turned on all the time , 4g/5g and WiFi! Does your phone get hot or the battery drain at an alarming rate? 🙄
    Most users won't turn off the others when using it as a hotspot and the random article was one of many if you want to look, but keep telling us about you and ignore the data.
    No I don't want to look as I have first hand experience of how a phone works and what happens when you use it as a hotspot.

I do not instantly believe what is read on the Internet and will do my own research to see if these so called "experts" is true
    Research usually contains facts and data so it seems a bit unusual to expect users to go along with one guy's anecdotal observation in one set of circumstances rather than the plethora of data covering many scenarios which you "don't want to look" at.
    It takes all sorts though and as I've already mentioned to the OP his use may well be fine with a hotspot (as it appears yours is) but that doesn't extrapolate to users in other scenarios.
    It's good that discussions like these give the opportunity to highlight these differences.
    I've been trying to work out what your point is all day and..... nope

Oh apart from hijacking the thread 
    Offering advice based on facts, not anecdotal stories based on the thoughts of one user who doesn't realise not everyone has the same requirements or conditions.  Even though the OP may be OK with your "advice" it doesn't do any harm to put other scenarios out there for all to see.
    Keep going with your narrow mindedness and pseudo put downs if it makes you feel better, but there's probably more appropriate places for it than the MSE Forums.
  • cerebus
    cerebus Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    fifeken said:
    cerebus said:
    fifeken said:
    cerebus said:
    fifeken said:
    cerebus said:
    fifeken said:
    MACKEM99 said:
    fifeken said:
    cerebus said:
    fifeken said:
    MACKEM99 said:
    Its been a while I know but I am now looking further into this.  It is for my holiday home where I will be starting to go soon.. I spend various times there.  Regularly 5 days and then sometimes for a week or two at a time.  I have been looking at this on Amazon:

TP-Link 300 Mbps Wireless N 4G+Cat 4 LTE Router, 4G Network Micro SIM Slot Unlocked, With WAN Connection, No Configuration required, Parental Control, Easy Management, UK Plug (TL-MR6400) : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I was going to get the ASDA Sim Card offer to start with to see how I get on (monthly roll over plan).  Then if I find it does not work I can return the item to Amazon and all I have paid for is a few pounds, so not a lot to lose.

Any thoughts?

I have a similar one in my overseas place (with overseas SIM) and have just bought one for my UK place to replace land line and Sky internet.  The only thing I would suggest is dependant on your usage but perhaps look for a higher spec model (Cat 6 or higher) which allows carrier aggregation and therefore better speeds.
    The op has already decided to use his phone as a hotspot 
    I read that but he may change his mind when he realises both users must be within range of the phone at all times.  Having mobile as backup for when he's down the pub or she's at the shops or wherever means both can still be connected.  Any IOT devices will still be accessible with the router option but not with the phone option when he's out and about, which he hasn't mentioned but may not have thought about.
    And no-one ever changed their mind or appreciated more information on a previous option?
    Or no-one else looking for a similar solution could read the thread and benefit from having more data to base their decision on?

OP.  The router option means an initial purchase so not as moneysaving, but gives you more flexibility and saves you using a phone long term as a hot spot which many experts say should not be done.
    Why do they say not using phone as hotspot long term?

Potential battery life reduced from overheating and constant charge/recharge cycles.  Here's one write up on it but there's plenty more if you look.  The wifi router option removes any battery from the equation.

Utterly no different to using WiFi or Bluetooth,  when I use my phone as a hotspot I turn off WiFi and Bluetooth and don't notice any more battery drain than usual 

No overheating either , it is simply broadcasting a signal which is exactly what is was designed to do

Scaremongering at its very worse 

Have you even read that article you quoted or plucked it out of thin air to try and prove your none existent point? You will notice it blames the heating up and battery drain on the two things that virtually everybody has turned on all the time , 4g/5g and WiFi! Does your phone get hot or the battery drain at an alarming rate? 🙄
    Most users won't turn off the others when using it as a hotspot and the random article was one of many if you want to look, but keep telling us about you and ignore the data.
    No I don't want to look as I have first hand experience of how a phone works and what happens when you use it as a hotspot.

I do not instantly believe what is read on the Internet and will do my own research to see if these so called "experts" is true
    Research usually contains facts and data so it seems a bit unusual to expect users to go along with one guy's anecdotal observation in one set of circumstances rather than the plethora of data covering many scenarios which you "don't want to look" at.
    It takes all sorts though and as I've already mentioned to the OP his use may well be fine with a hotspot (as it appears yours is) but that doesn't extrapolate to users in other scenarios.
    It's good that discussions like these give the opportunity to highlight these differences.
    I've been trying to work out what your point is all day and..... nope

Oh apart from hijacking the thread 
    Offering advice based on facts, not anecdotal stories based on the thoughts of one user who doesn't realise not everyone has the same requirements or conditions.  Even though the OP may be OK with your "advice" it doesn't do any harm to put other scenarios out there for all to see.
    Keep going with your narrow mindedness and pseudo put downs if it makes you feel better, but there's probably more appropriate places for it than the MSE Forums.
    Firstly they are not thoughts they are real world experiences which counts more than any data you care to believe that you have dredged up from the depths of the Internet. I can only assume you're the kinda of person who believes black is white even though it is clearly black.

Secondly.... you're still continuing to hijack a thread which has been concluded 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure